How do we know what God wants us to believe?

It is as simple as reading, because it is in His Word. I believe the woman should keep silent in the church- which means to me, a woman should not speak aloud, whether it be preaching or teaching or praying in front of the assembly of believers that are comprised of men and women.

God says in the New Testament:
1 Timothy 2:9-15
9 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments,
10 but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.
11 A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness.
12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve.
14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.
15 But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.

1 Corinthians 14:34-37
34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says.
35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.
36 Was it from you that the word of God first went forth? Or has it come to you only?
37 If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment.

This concept is so difficult to grasp in the modern day setting because Satan has done his job. The world believes that a woman is to have the same rights and opportunities as a man. Satan has confused the issue enough, that with just a twist here or there many no longer believe what GOD commanded in His Word. To say that the application was only for the early church two thousand years ago is to say that the Bible is not true- and how can man (or woman) pick and choose what God meant to apply to today? When can we as imperfect, sinful humans say, oh, God didn't really mean what He said? He clearly says, "let him recognize that the things which I write to you are the Lord's commandment."

I firmly believe that women are not to teach men but are to teach other women, because it says so in God's Word:

Titus 2:3-5
3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,
4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children,
5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

So, why is it so important for me as a woman, to keep silent in the church? God commanded it. We show our love for God by keeping His commandments.

John 14:15
If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
John 14:21
"He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
John 14:23-24
Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24 "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me.
John 15:10
"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
2 John 1:6
And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.


James 4:17
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin

His words are true and trustworthy. I can trust in Him!

Proverbs 30:5
Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

3 comments

Erica said...

I agree completely :) If God wanted me or any other woman to be a preacher... he would have made me a man... but a woman I am and thus I will only be fulfilled and happy carrying out my God given role.

Thank you for standing for God's word in a society that rails against it.

Your post is a blessing :)

Love in Christ,
Erica.

Maranda said...

I agree with you to a certain extent. I also think that a woman should be silent in church and should not preach, but I also think that a woman should not teach other women out of the bible. I actually think that when it says older women are to teach younger women to love their husbands, et cetera, it is talking about by setting an example and by showing them how to "keep house," et cetera.

Anyway, I guess we won't know for sure until we get there....but I really appreciate your opinion and I love your Freebie Fridays! :-)

Sheri King said...

When you say that you keep silent at church what exactly do you mean? Do you sing the hymns? Can you talk before or after service with other people? Can you elaborate or have you elaborated somewhere else? I'm new to your blog. Thanks