Thursday, September 27, 2007

Book Review- Lies Women Believe: and the Truth that Sets Them Free

I was at the Christian bookstore last week and found a great book. I skimmed a chapter or two and called my husband to see if I should buy it. He said yes, and I brought home Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh Demoss. As I started reading it, I decided to review this book here on Biblical Homemaking. Each week I will do a review of each chapter or two, and post my thoughts on it. My first online book review- how much fun is that!

Here is an excerpt from the back cover:
“This is a most timely and crucial contribution to all women.” -Henry and Marilyn Blackaby

“…a woman of compassion and keen insight…” -Elisabeth Elliot

“One of the most articulate Bible expositors in the Christian world today...” -.Charles Colson

We are like Eve. We have all experienced defeats and failures, trouble and turmoil. We have all experienced a selfish heart, a shrewish spirit, anger, envy and bitterness. And we ache to do things over, to have lives of harmony and peace. In her book, Lies Women Believe, author Nancy Leigh DeMoss exposes those areas of deception most commonly believed by Christian women:

Lies about themselves: I should not have to live with unfulfilled longings.
Lies about sin: I cannot walk in consistent victory over sin.
Lies about their marriage: If I submit to my husband, I will be miserable.
Lies about their emotions: I can’t control my emotions.
Lies about their circumstances: I just can’t take any more.

Nancy Leigh DeMoss sheds light on how we can be delivered from bondage and set free to walk in God’s grace, forgiveness, and abundant life. This book offers the most effective weapon to counter and overcome Satan’s deceptions—God’s truth.

5 comments:

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

I'm sure if Elisabeth Elliot is endorsing it, it will be great! I'm anxious to hear how you like it!

Country Girl At Heart said...

If I call my hubby from the bookstore our converstaion will sound something like this:

Me:Hey Hon. I'm at the bookstore and I found this really great book.

Hon:O yeah. What's it called?

Me:Lies Women Believe:and the Truth that Sets Them Free.

Hon:You don't need to pay
for that information. I'll have a list waiting for you free of charge when you get home.

(Dail-Tone)

Me:*sigh*

My husband thinks that he's an expert on women. The truth is that usually right 89% of the time.

Mandy said...

Country girl, when I read your comment I laughed so hard my hubby asked what I was reading. I am sure mine could give me a list too!

Expat Mom said...

I am in a bible study that is going through this book right now, and it really bothers me that DeMoss offers very dogmatic/black and white advice on marriage and parenting when she is neither married nor a parent. There is a huge lack of grace in her writings -- I fear that she is creating more lies than dispelling them! Would love to hear what you think as you read her chapters on marriage and parenting.

Anonymous said...

this book made me so angry I could not finish it... for someone to offer such dogmatic views on womanhood, parenting, and children, she should at least have had to 1. be married. or 2. have kids.
she has neither.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...