Pressure Cooking

After months of anticipation, I am now the proud owner of a pressure cooker! I used one for the first time yesterday, and in less than 20 minutes I made steamed rice and two chicken breasts. The rice took about 8 minutes total and the chicken took about 7 minutes total. Both tasted like I had been slaving over the stove for hours! I am sooooo excited about this new gadget.

With the new baby and two little ones and between housecleaning, feeding and changing diapers, I am so tired in the evening I just don't feel like cooking, but with the pressure cooker I can whip up something low fat and healthy in less time than it would take in the microwave. Plus, it is a huge electricity saver- I can cook beans in 8-10 minutes when it used to take 2-3 hours to cook them on the stove top. Quick and easy meals and saving money works for me! Check out Shannon's blog for more great ideas!

6 comments

Nancy said...

pressures cookers are great tools in the kitchen but I have always been slightly aftaid of them & all that steam...

Marcia said...

My MIL swears by it too.

I hear so much about slow cookers though that I'm seriously considering buying one :)

Organising queen and
Marcia's take charge blog

SingForHim @ Real Life said...

I recently purchased a pressure cooker, and I LOVE it!! Brown rice comes out perfect! Good tip!

Susan said...

Oh I have been thinking about purchasing a pressure cooker. You are pushing me over the edge!

Zen Master said...

Wow, really? I am going to have to look these up. They sound like a real time saver.

Thanks for sharing.

Tooz said...

My DH had a scary experience with a pressure cooker--his mom used it to cook potatoes and also (without planning, of course) to cover the kitchen ceiling and floor with booked potatoes!