Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cake Decorating Lessons Learned

We recently celebrated our oldest's 4th birthday. For his birthday I made a Veggie Tales cake- Larry the Cucumber. It definitely wasn't the best hand decorated cake I've made, but I did learn something- it is far easier to decorate a cake that is the same color as the icing. I put Green Wilton paste in the cake batter just for the effect of green cake, but when I went to decorate it, it was so much easier to decorate because the cake crumbs blended instead of standing out like white cake does.
Oh, and a few more cake decorating tips I learned- don't freehand Larry the Cucumber ;) and don't decorate at night when you have an earache and two out of your three children are crying. Taking care of toddlers and babies with green-icing hands just doesn't work! :) And, no matter how awful you think it looks, if your 4 year old loves it, you've done your job.

Check out more kitchen tips over at Tammy's Recipes!

1 comment:

CDMOM said...

That cake is too cute. You did a great job. I'm going to try a lego cake for our 4yo's bday! Wish me luck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...