Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Why I Believe the Scriptures are Literal

I received this question in response to my post earlier this week:
I do not mean this at all disrespectfully, am really curious - do you think God himself wrote the Bible? I have always wondered about people who took the Scriptures literally - isn't it an interpretation by man? Am interested to hear your thoughts.

I started a response as a comment but it turned into a post itself... :)


Great question! I do believe that God Himself wrote the Bible, and used man as his writing utensil or outlet. I believe that God spoke to each writer and gave Him the exact words He wanted to be in the Scripture. The men who wrote the Bible did not give their own interpretation, but only wrote what God told them to write. I believe this because of these verses (NKJV):


2 Peter 1:20
20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

The word "inspiration" literally means God-breathed. God has His "breath" on all Scripture. He is responsible for each word and has given us the Bible for all those reasons listed in the verse above.

I Cor 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Again, Paul is saying that it is not from man's wisdom or interpretation.

Acts 1:15-16
15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples (altogether the number of names was about a hundred and twenty), and said, 16 “Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus;

Here Peter actually says that the Holy Spirit spoke by the mouth of David, referring to Ps. 41:9: "Even my own familiar friend in whom I trusted, Who ate my bread, Has lifted up his heel against me."

2 Samuel 2:1-3
Now these are the last words of David.
Thus says David the son of Jesse;
Thus says the man raised up on high,
The anointed of the God of Jacob,
And the sweet psalmist of Israel:

2 “The Spirit of the LORD spoke by me,
And His word was on my tongue.

3 The God of Israel said,
The Rock of Israel spoke to me:

‘He who rules over men must be just,
Ruling in the fear of God.

Here David himself says that the Spirit of the Lord spoke by him and His Word was on David's tongue.

If I feel that one Scripture is inaccurate, written for that culture and wasn't God's Word intended for me, then I am doubting what God says in 1 Tim. 3:16 about all Scripture being inspired by God, and the verse in 2 Peter that no Scripture is of private interpretation. Now I don't believe three verses in the Bible. It could easily become a slippery slope; one where it would be easy to pick and choose what Scripture I think was written for me today.

I do believe the Scripture is written by God through man- fully true and complete and means what it says word for word.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! You answered some questions I had.

Barb J.
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/findingcontentment

Anonymous said...

Fairy tales are for children.

Mandy said...

Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” Mark 10:15

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...