I Really Don't Enjoy Doing Laundry.

Whew. I'm glad that's out. (Is a girl whose blog has homemaking in the title allowed to say that?)

I dread doing the laundry. Keeping up with laundry for five is pretty tough, but it's mostly the folding and putting away of laundry that I dislike so much. I've searched for tips on how to make doing the laundry easier- all I could really find that would help me is a family closet in the laundry room. Our current laundry room for which I am extremely thankful is unfortunately far too small for a family closet.

Over the past couple of years, I have found a couple of things that really made laundry duty a little bit easier. I painted my laundry room hot pink (think Barbie pink) so I would like to be in there more. It is a much happier place now! I can see my laundry room glowing down the hallway. :)

I also found that placing each person's dirty clothes into individual hampers (as they are soiled) made a huge impact on the time I spend doing laundry. My husband, myself, the boys, and Isabella each have our own hamper. I only do laundry by person, when that person's hamper is full. This saves me a ton of time because I am only folding one person's clothes, so I have one pile and one location to take the clothes when they are folded. It seems to keeps me more motivated to fold the load as well.

I also try to do the laundry in the laundry room, straight out of the dryer so I don't have piles scattered all over the house. It's never going to get folded once it leaves the laundry room anyway. (The one person load works well too because I have limited space to fold). Sometimes, if it's quiet, I will bring my laptop in there and listen to Dave Ramsey or a sermon.

Making the laundry room a happy place, presorting our laundry, and actually doing all of the laundry in the laundry room really works for me.

6 comments

Kristin said...

These are some great ideas. I have been trying to set up a family closet but haven't gotten around to it. I agree that you have to fold the laundry while you are still in the laundry room. I also do all the laundry on Mondays only. No other day. If the dirty clothes aren't in the laundry room on Monday, they don't get clean til the next week. Thanks for the tips!

CityStreams said...

My Hubby started doing the laundry early in our marriage. He was much more picky about things than I am. Occasionally I'll run a load or two jut so that we can leave earlier for a trip or something but somehow I always manage to do it "wrong." Hey, I'm not complaining though! Works for me!!

texastanya said...

Great tips! I agree it is so much easier to do laundry by person. That alone has cut my laundry time because I don't have to sort out which t-shirt goes to which toddler...

Sarah said...

Do you put all the colors together? I usually sort by color. I like your idea about painting the laundry room. I desperately need to do this because I hate white walls. MAybe I'd go in there more if it were pretty.

Mandy said...

I never thought about it before, but the only person who has white clothes is my husband. He has enough undershirts to run a whole load. Come to think of it, I guess I stopped buying white clothes after my first was born (maybe that's another laundry tip, don't wear white clothes!) lol! I do have one white undershirt I throw in with his load though.
:)

Noah said...

I will admit that I dislike laundry as well! It just seems unending! I secretly can't wait until my kids are old enough to do their own! (my oldest is 3, so it will be a while!)

I love your idea of painting the laundry room. I don't know if my husband will go for pink, but it's my favorite color as well! I will have to try your hamper system as well! That may help.