Lies Women Believe, Chapter 2, Part I

This is the second installment of the review of the book Lies Women Believe: And the Truth That Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

Lies Women Believe… About God

The author begins the chapter with how what we believe about God is the foundation of what we believe. DeMoss says, “What we believe about God determines the way we live. If we believe things about Him that aren’t true, we will eventually act on those lies and end up in bondage.”

In the first part of this chapter, she goes on to discuss several lies that women believe about God. One of my favorites was:

“God is not really enough.”
“When it comes down to it, we don’t believe God’s Word is sufficient to deal with our problems…. Sure I need God. But I need Him plus close friends, I need Him plus good health; I need Him plus a husband, I need Him plus children, I need Him plus a job that pays enough; I need Him plus a house with a microwave, a washer/dryer, a garage, and a fresh paint job…”
I see this lie happening in my own life. I know in my head that God is faithful and will provide for me, but my heart doesn’t quite believe it, so my hands get busy trying to solve the problem or come up with a way to get what I need.

Realizing this behavior is a based on a terrible lie really convicted me about my sin of unbelief. I am not fully giving over my burdens to the Lord, and sometimes I just don’t want to find the answers in His Word because I know it is not what I want to hear. I need God
plus a perfectly clean house, plus a vehicle with a 3rd row seat, plus perfectly behaved children.... and the list goes on.

DeMoss says,
“Do we truly believe God is enough, or are we looking to others things and people to fill the empty places of our hearts- food, shopping, friends, hobbies, vacations, our job, or our family?”

God’s truth is:
Psalm 73:25- 26
Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

God’s Word is truth and reminds me of how incapable I am of anything without Him. It reassures me that
I don’t have to do it without Him, and that he is ALL I need.

Stay tuned for the next installment in the review of Lies Women Believe: And the Truth That Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Really loved your installments of this book reivew. Wondering if you have done the second part of this. Though I have been enticed to purchase the book. I am pretty lousy at gleaning my own stuff from any readings and love to hear what others have stumbled upon.