Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesday- Peeling Hot Potatoes

I was making one of my husband's favorite meals, corn chowder, for dinner a couple of weeks ago, and after baking the potatoes in the microwave, I started peeling their skins by hand. Of course, they just shredded while the potato burned my fingertips. After many painful minutes of trying to peel the hot potatoes, my post-third-pregnancy brain started working again, and I figured out how to make these skins fall right off! Just rinse them in very cold water for about 20 seconds and amazingly enough, the skin will just come right off and your fingers will thank you!

That's probably a kitchen tip that someone figured out long before I did, but I learned it the hard way so I thought I would share! Check out more kitchen tips over at Tammy's Recipes to avoid other kitchen related mishaps! :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you don't peel them beforehand, because?

Amy said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it!

Mom2fur said...

Wow! Isn't it amazing how there's often a simple solution to a problem? I'm definitely going to try this one...you're very smart! (And I'm 17 years 'post pregnancy' of my fourth--and my brain still often doesn't work, LOL!)

Miranda said...

I think this is a great tip! I've used a similiar idea when taking the skin off tomatoes and peaches. Dip in boiling water then in cold water to make the skins slide off. Who knew it would work on hot potatoes! I will definitely try this. Thanks!

Kim said...

I know all the vitamins are in the skin, but unless I am making baked spuds, I always peel before cooking - less hassle :)

Mandy said...

I always leave the skin on in the microwave so I can bake them, rather than boiling them. I've never tried baking them in the microwave without skin, does it work?

Anonymous said...

My hubby's favorite dish is Potato soup and I always dread when he asks about it because the potatoes burn me! Now I know what to do! Guess what we'll be having? Thanks a lot, my fingers thank you too!
Julie

Daboss911 said...

Awesome! Worked like a charm.

Hot water said...

Good way to peel them quickly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...