Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"Most People Stop After Two"

I thought this was a great post from Kelly about allowing God to choose our family size. I get these kind of comments from Christian friends and even church leadership. It is so sad how the church has lost sight of what a blessing children are to us. I want God to choose the number of blessings He wants to give me!
"Most people stop after two, Kelly," was the matter-of-fact comment, spoken of course with a smile (because that makes it OK), from a dear friend of mine, and, believe it or not, pastor. I hadn't seen him in a while, and more than once during our visit he reminded me (with an "innocent joke") how bizarre and "weird" our choice to let God be sovereign over our family size was.

Every time I witness other believers "joking" about the large family, my heart hurts. Not because they have hurt MY feelings, even though usually I am the brunt of the "jokes", but because it is a constant reminder of the true condition of the "church's" heart toward children, and ultimately toward God and family.

Read more....

2 comments:

Ben Curell said...

Thanks so much for posting this!

I am not quite 21 and just found out that I'm expecting our 2nd little bundle of joy. My husband and I want as many children as God deems us worthy of having the honor to raise. We are blessed to have a wonderful church family that makes a point of honoring mothers and babies, but the comments do still seep in. It's nice to be encouraged by other women holding fast to the Word.

Perhapskj said...

Thank you for this post! My husband and I have 5 wonderful children and I'll be honest we have used birth control since we were married, but God allowed us to have each of our children in His perfect timing (3 despite our best efforts). I was recently convicted by the fact that I need to trust God for the amount of children I have and not a birth control pill! We are not rich by any means and live on a constant bare bones budget, but we have NEVER gone without. Our kids have clothes, have never gone hungry or worried for food, etc. We have gotten a lot of comments over our pregnancies the most constant one I heard is "God expects us to use our brains" as if having children is a moment of stupidity. I know people in our church body worry that we don't have enough money for more kids. This has caused the announcement of pregnancy to be at times difficult rather than joyful. It is no fun to tell someone something that you are thrilled about and see their less than excited for you reaction. Thank you for stating that the state of fellow believer's response towards large family's is sad. It has hurt me and I am sure it hurts other woman who have more than the required "2" kids. We have a lovely church with lovely people so I believe this response is more common than most of us think. I didn't even realize 5 kids was considered large until I heard about 100 times, "Wow, you have such a BIG family!" God bless any mom and dad who are raising Godly children! He will provide for each and every one as He has always provided for His children!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...