Being Quiverfull

Kim, mother of 8 and one on the way over at Life in a Shoe posted this great article about being quiverfull (giving our childbearing over to God's will- whether we have 2 children or 12). She does a great job of explaining the "why" of being quiverfull. Here's just a little piece of the article:
If we believe that children are a blessing from God and that large families should be the norm, we need to act upon that belief regardless of whether we really think we’re ready for the job. No excuses. Who among us is really ready and fully equipped to raise even one child? Can any of us really expect to succeed in this monumental task by our own strength and virtue?

Can you guarantee that you are patient enough to raise even one child? Do you think I was equipped to be the mother of this crowd when I was a newlywed? Do you think I’m the perfect model of saintly patience now?

Do you really have the financial stability to commit to providing for a child for 18 or more years? How do you know where your job or bank account will stand at this time next year? Are you sure you’ll even be alive next week?

Do you think pregnancy is always fun or easy for moms of many? Our hips and backs hurt too. Labor hurts, every time. We have gestational diabetes, ligament pain, fatigue, anemia, c-sections, morning sickness, children with handicaps, stillbirths and miscarriages. We do this joyfully because it is our service to the Lord, not because it sounds like fun.

Read more...

I think it comes down to the same thing- if we believe the Bible is true, and that children are a blessing and a heritage like it says, why would I presume to tell God I don't want anymore blessings? Would I be saying, no thanks Lord, I am really good on the "blessings"- don't worry, God, I am going to make sure you aren't going to hand any more of those to me. If I say that, I am effectively telling God I know more than He does. If I can't rely on His judgment to give me the number of children He wants me to have, then how can I trust Him to provide for my safety, my food, or even my life?

I agree with Kim, it's a choice that we make, not because it's easy or fun, but because we believe what God says is true and that He is faithful to His Word.

Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
1 Thessalonians 5:24

2 comments

Anonymous said...

I do agree with you, however, for some of us, who have perhaps had VERY difficult pregnancies (ie 5 weeks in hospital on serious amounts of meds in order to stay pregnant and still give birth to a 7 week premie), the decision to not have more babies is a valid one. My husband and I prayerfully decided after our son was born last September that we should not knowingly place my life or a child's life at risk with another pregnancy. Just food for thought.

Mandy said...

I think that God allows each family to make a decision based on their circumstances, like you and your husband. I wouldn't know what to do if my situation was yours. I am glad that we have a merciful God and husbands to lead us in His will!