Monday, February 04, 2008

Goals for 2008- February Update

Last month I set a "few" goals for myself to accomplish in 2008. I thought I would give an update on my progress in January. Some I did accomplish this month, others I barely touched! Here they are:

-Create a new schedule and routine system by next week and stick to it, changing it if necessary (rather than abandoning it) by reevaluating it monthly.
I did create a routine and cleaning schedule on paper by that next week. I did not manage to stick to it though. The poor schedule was abandoned before it got a chance to start...! :) We did get into more of a routine with cleaning everyday, but it wasn't structured like we used to have or like I want it to be. I have to keep working on this. Maybe if I can find a way to use my computer to do this...

-Continue breastfeeding exclusively until Isabella reaches 6 months (we usually add cereal at 4-5 months but I want to extend the time before we start baby foods)
This goal was accomplished! At least one more month before we start solids. I am thinking we might stretch it out as long as we can. The doctor told me that starting solids is important for getting practice of eating solids but not necessary yet. It seems strange to think a human needs "practice" eating solids. So if I waited til she's 11 months she wouldn't know how to swallow?

-Run a 5k in under 30 minutes (I've run only one before in 39 min)
Didn't touch this one, although I did try to find an upcoming 5k in my city- does that count? ;)

-Add in 1-2 hours per day to my schedule for web/design work (this will be much easier when I get my routine in place)
I did do this- I worked on freelance projects for several hours this month, usually when the kids were napping or in bed for the night.

-Start Elijah's homeschooling, with him reading by his 5th birthday in October
Hmmm...We got one "real" lesson in this month. He has improved so much on reading letters and connecting them to words. Maybe I should set short-term goals like this month I will sit down and do at least two lessons each week.

-Exercise 5-6 times per week including classes at the gym and home
I did accomplish this one for the most part. I am quite happy about it. Last week I was fighting a cold and my husband didn't want me to work out, so I made it only 4 times last week. I think because I've slowly been working up to this frequency, I had a much easier time adding a couple of sessions each week. I look forward to working out these days.

-Eat more fresh and natural foods- whole grain, preservative-free, locally grown foods
Happily I can report I did eat more natural and whole grain foods this month. Most of my meals consist of fish or chicken with veggies and/or a starch. I wonder if all my effort to eat naturally is negated by the fact that I drink a diet coke every day? :)

-Drink at least 3 liters of water per day
Didn't get this one done this month. I did drink more water per day than I have in the previous months, but it was more like 1 1/2 liters of water and 24 ounces of diet or regular Dr. Peppers or sugar-free raspberry lemonade. I have to keep working on this one.

-Potty train my 2 1/2 year old (he'll be three in May)
We did try to start potty training. Noah just cries when we sit him on the toilet, and wetting his pants doesn't actually seem to bother him. We will keep testing the waters but he just doesn't seem ready yet. I would really like to have it done by May but it might not be possible.

-Increase household purging of clutter and excess, including selling furniture, shredding papers and giving away or selling toys
I did accomplish this goal this month! I sold over $50 worth of extra stuff on Craigslist we had around the house. Very exciting, and motivating to get more stuff out of our house! We tried to sell an extra piece of furniture to a few people we know but didn't post it anywhere else. It's got emotional value so I don't want to sell it. I am in the process of trying to let go.... ;)

-Slowly change my body clock to go to bed earlier and rise earlier (I am so not a morning person!)
There was improvement in this area but no real progress yet. Somehow I just end up taking a nap if I get up too early, and being so tired makes me pretty grumpy. I end up being wide awake well after midnight. Leo over at ZenHabits has some great stuff on rising early and how to do it. I just need to discipline myself to get in bed earlier so I am more rested.

I hope to have more progress to report next month! I think posting my goals definitely made me feel more responsible to complete them. On to the rest of February!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...