Injecting God into "Me Time"

From Christian self-help books to women's magazines, we are inundated with the same message: You need "me time." Time to relax, recharge; time to be alone. To get away from your problems. To get away from people.

As I read this in another Christian women's magazine the other day, it occurred to me- what if my "me" time became "God" time? Wouldn't that revolutionize my perspective? Recharge me?

What if each time I were alone I prayed instead of thinking of how I was going to deal with the next thing?

I tried it- I drew my relaxing hot bubble bath, and instead of pulling out a book or magazine, I put my Bible on the ledge of the bathtub. I read my Bible and prayed during my bath time, and instead of reading unnecessary or useless information in a magazine, I relaxed and recharged my batteries with God's Word.

I have to tell you, it was amazing. Now every time I take a bath, I read the Bible and pray, and instead of feeling overwhelmed before I go to bed, I feel relaxed and connected with the Lord. I think of what I read and pray about it through the next day.

Then I thought, what if I gave God more than just my bath time? I would be spending more and more time praying and less time focusing on myself. What if I added more God time to my life and replaced all of my "Me" time. How would my life, my heart look then? Even the short amount of worship time in the bath changed my heart and helped me to meditate on His Word throughout the next day.

I Thessalonians 5:17 says, "Pray without ceasing." Jesus told two parables where the moral of the story was pray persistently- in Luke 11:5-10 and 18:1-5. He gives the command- pray, pray, pray. And in the meantime, talk about Him all day.

Deuteronomy 4:6-9 says,
4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.
7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

I thought of other times I could inject God into my "Me" time. I want to make God my first thought when I wake, when I have a moment to think, when I lie down to go to sleep. I want to make Him what I talk about all day. It's a huge goal, but I know I can do it with His help.

So here are 10 practical suggestions- ways to inject God into your "me" time:

In the morning:

1. Morning shower.
You are usually alone in the bathroom first thing in the morning. As you step into the shower, start praying. You don't have to think, just start praying. If you need a guide, remember ACTS- adoration, confession, thanksgiving, supplication. Pray for the day.

2. Getting dressed.
You probably aren't thinking much here, so as you put on each garment thank Him for each leg, arm, hand and the abilities they give you to serve Him.

3.Brushing your teeth.
Hey, you can't talk anyway, so why not pray?

4. Brushing/ drying your hair.
While you do your hair everyday, make it a special time to spend with God about something on your heart. If you're like me, you probably can't even remember what you are normally thinking about while you brush your hair!

5. Applying makeup.
Each time you pick up a specific makeup, pray for a certain person or topic while you are applying it. Ideas: foundation- that your face will shine with God's love, blush- that you will reflect his joy, eyeshadow- that your eyes will be watchful for ways to show His love, mascara- that you won't scare anyone away from Him, lipstick- that you'll speak with His lips.

Throughout the day:

6. Bathroom breaks.
Every time you use the restroom, take an extra minute and pray. Or read. :)

7. Exercising.
Instead of turning on the music, pray instead for half of your normal routine then turn on the worship music. Can you think of a better way to spend 30 minutes?

8. Driving.
Instead of planning or listening to the radio, why not spend some time talking to God about His plans?

9. Cooking.
I often cook alone in the kitchen while my husband plays with the kids. If you are alone, put on some worship music and pray about verses you've read recently. Thank Him for the food He's provided for you to cook.

10. Baths.
This is one of my favorite times. I love relaxing in a hot bath, and I really like digging into God's Word in a quiet place. I keep a towel by the Bible for turning pages, and another idea would be to have a paperback Bible you use just for bath time, leaving it by the bathtub when it's not in use.


Giving God even the smallest amount of my alone time has made a huge difference in my life, and I am sure it could in yours as well. Give it a try this week- pick one or two and see if your "Me" time doesn't bring you more peace and joy than ever before. You'll never want to be "alone" again. :)



6 comments

Kimberly said...

Awesome post!! Thank you for sharing =).
kimberly

Laura said...

Thanks for this reminder and idea! I too have been struck with the need lately for better use of my free times (moments, really.)
I had a burden on my heart that was so heavy. I started using the time I fed the baby to pray instead of turning on the TV for a few minutes entertainment. I feel like I have gained so many minutes of extra prayer time just by doing that one thing.

Brandi said...

One of the girls from my small group sent your post to all of us! Thanks for the extra ideas! I use a lot of these since I have 3 kids 3 and under, but I loved the ideas and the way you posted it!

Thanks,
Brandi

Mrs. Walker said...

Thank you for the encouraging words and ideas.

Michele said...

Great ideas! Thanks!
Blessings,
Michele :)
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

Niki said...

Great post!

I, too, recently began turning my bedtime ritual into some me time with God. I read from the bible, write in my gratitude journal, then pray.

I used to have such trouble falling asleep because I was running over everything stressful from my head through my head. Now I get right before I hop into bed and I fall asleep easily...praise God!

:)