She Speaks Conference and Adoption

God's been working on my heart of late. In the past few months I have acquired a huge burden for orphans. It's crazy- I have four children six and under. Adopting another child sounds insane! Crazy or not, I would love to, and the more I study it, the more I find that the cost of adoption is out of reach not only for our family, but for the dozens of other families that wish to love and want an unloved and unwanted child.

One night I woke up at 3 a.m. and couldn't fall asleep again. Often I find that when I'm awake at night God uses the quiet to speak to me. I found myself thinking about adoption, and wishing I could do something about it. The thought came to me- an idea to affect adopting families in a local, missional way.

What if I were to create a non-profit organization? A local one, where we raise funds from the local community, from people that can't adopt but want to do something to fulfill the Biblical mandate to care for the widows and orphans.

I was immediately excited. I could start an organization that gathers funding for local Christian families to adopt children. The local family, maybe someone I even know, could adopt when they could not afford to do so! How awesome would that be!

My heart's desire is to see those precious little ones who aren't loved get to experience Christ's love.

How's that related to the She Speaks conference, a Proverbs 31 ministry?

She Speaks is a conference that gives women the tools they need to advance in ministry- resources to better their speaking, writing, and leading abilities.

Lysa TerKeurst is giving away three scholarships, and I would love win one and be a part of this conference to see how to make my idea become a reality. I imagine a day when we give out the funds for a family to adopt every week, and hundreds of children's lives are changed because people gave locally and saw the result of their giving in the eyes of that precious child sitting beside them at church.

Getting started is the biggest hurdle, and I think this conference would steer me in the right direction. Check out Lysa's blog for more information, or go to the She Speaks Conference website to find out more.

2 comments

Cindy said...

I'm applying for the scholarship too and checking out/praying for all the gals who post their blogs. We have been home for three months with our newest daughter - an eight year old who WAS and orphan, but is no longer. She is the youngest of 7 children. God moved mountains to rescue her, and if He's placed this upon your heart, He can do it in your lives too. Just wanted to encourage you in your journey!

Noah said...

I think that is a great idea. That being said, the real need is older kids in the foster care system who do not have families. EVERYONE wants to adopt babies. No one wants older kids. And older kids NEED stable families and love too. I also think adopting via the system, while difficult at times, is often more affordable than private adoption.