Plant = Lesson

One of my favorite memories of my college times was when my best friend and I went to the local fair  in the fall of my freshman year. It was there I bought my very first plant as an "independent" woman. Back then, I felt that buying potted plants and your own household goods meant you're truly on your own! :)


My plant in all it's glory in 2008.
I got a little 50 cent airplane plant from the church fundraiser booth. It moved from my very first apartment, to many others, to my first house, to many more in between, and then finally, here, where we are today.


This week, more than 10 years after that fair, my favorite potted plant died. It may have had something to do with a 2-year-old uprooting it 3 weeks ago, or it could have been the fact that we haven't turned on the A/C yet, and our kitchen hits 95 degrees every day. I tried a couple of things to save it as a last effort, but when I saw they didn't work, I was suddenly hit with a wave of sadness.


It's dumb, I know. It's just a plant. The first thought I had when I realized it was dead was, "Oh Lord, isn't there anything that can last?" His immediate answer: "The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever." (it's Isaiah 40:8).


That verse has never meant so much to me. I loved it, but it wasn't personal. My grass had withered. A silly little plant told me nothing I loved was going to last in the this life of mine. Even I am like that grass, here for a short time. But God has given us a tangible thing that He promises will outlast us, that will stand forever. Nothing here on earth is forever, but His Word. It has endured for thousands of years. Oh, HE is amazing! He cares for me, even when my 10-year-old plant dies. I am so thankful for that! What a wonderful Father He is!

No comments