Thursday, July 07, 2011

BH's first laundry devotion!! {on defining our value}


Welcome to my first Laundry Devotion! I'm so excited!!

My heart has been heavy lately with things the Lord has been teaching me in my life, and I've been wanting to share them with others. I never thought it would be in this kind of format, but I'm so happy to say that audio devotions are here!  I hope this offers you a chance to listen to a quick 10 minute topical devotion while you have your hands full.  I'm nervous because I wanted to keep it real, and be open and honest with you guys, not to mention it's my first recording (ever) and definitely not perfect in any way! Me, or it. :) But I'm still excited about it altogether!


As for the name, well, I tend to think of my laundry room as my prayer closet. I spend a lot of time in there where I get away from everything else while folding clothes (laundry for six keeps a girl busy ;). It's awesome because my hands are busy doing what I'm called to do and I get to spend time with God at the same time. I realized maybe that would work for others who are in a super busy stage of life like me. Maybe you are in the car, or at the kitchen sink, or prepping dinner. Either way, I hope this short audio format helps you give you a chance to focus on God even in an unlikely setting, like the laundry room! :)

The only thing I ask is that you expect interruptions, and don't be afraid to push pause or rewind. It's always so much easier to handle distractions when you expect them!

Today's topic is "Defining Our Value."

Enjoy! And let me know what you think! :)



The audio:





Here's the transcript for those who prefer reading:





Welcome to the first ever Laundry Devotion!

My heart has been heavy with things the Lord has been teaching me personally, and I want to share them here with you. My desire is for this to be a useful time for you to learn while you have your hands full. I think of my laundry room as my prayer closet. I spend a lot of time in there where I get away from every thing else. It's awesome because my hands are busy doing what I'm called to do and I get to spend time with God at the same time. 

The audio is for you to listen while you are working with your hands. The only thing I ask is that you expect interruptions, and don't be afraid to push pause or rewind. It's always so much easier to handle distractions when you expect them.

We start today in Matthew. We are talking about value. Let's start with the Scriptures.

Matthew 6:19-21 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Value is a funny thing. Any given item or idea only has a value that we allow it to. Our desires for it are what give it it's worth. 

What are things that you value?

Examples: a great marriage, well behaved children, friendships, money, your job or career, your time, your freedom to choose what you wish.

Are you having trouble thinking of things you value? Where do you spend the most of your time? Where do you wish you could spend more time or have more of? Home organization? Community activities? A nicer car? A bigger house? Being well-dressed?

There are so many things that we women value, it becomes an overwhelming list. We give our best attention to the things we treasure the most.

The problem with things you value is that they unknowingly become things that give you value. 

What do I mean?

Well, the very things that we value the most become the lens through which we view ourselves. Our self-worth subconsciously becomes defined by the things that we have, we are, we do; the things we love and value become who we are.

For instance, I love fitness. I love being a fitness instructor. I place a high value on being physically in good shape. I give it my time, between 1-2 hours per day. You can easily say I value fitness. But what would happen if I were kept from exercising? What if I were injured in a car wreck, and found I was not able to move for 6 months? How would I view myself? Would it send me into a deep depression? Honestly, at this point, it's likely. I've placed my treasure in what I love to do. I have allowed what I value to give me my value. 

Or maybe you value possessions more. It's not outright "I love stuff," but you feel some sort of pride in the well-decorated house, or the sparkling SUV. I know some of us women often struggle with presentation more than relationships or other things. But think about it, what happens when you husband loses his job, and you are forced to sell the things you were quite fond of? That house you worked so hard for, the restaurant dinners, the fancy gadgets were part of who you were. And then, it's taken away and we feel such a deep sense of loss, of status.

Many people think they have a good marriage. But what happens when suddenly that long-held secret is revealed and your world suddenly comes crashing in? Your family, friends, church- nothing is the same? Would you be okay? No.


We are sinful, and just when we think we are doing well, we are blindsided by a revelation or a loss. We become depressed or devastated and feel terrible about ourselves. Maybe for you, it's just a lingering sadness of I don't measure up. Sometimes you can't even define what it is that's truly bothering you. I've been through all of them, and I'm betting you have too.

But it doesn't have to be this way. 

Your value is not in what you do, are, have, love, or feel.

Your value is that you are a child of the true and living God. He has chosen and redeemed you by the power of His blood. He has assigned you a value that is more precious than anything. He gave His Son up to die so that you might live. It's mind-blowing how much value you've been given.

He valued your life so much that He knew you before the foundations of the world. He formed you and set your life into motion. 

Ephesians 1:3-6: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and blameless before Him in love, having predestined us to adoptions as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved.

Value? Is there anything left to value but Him? What more in life can there be? He is everlasting, eternal, amazing God, and he LOVES you. Everything--- anything is NOTHING outside of Him. You are accepted. You are adopted. You are forgiven. You are HIS. Without anything else attached!!!

Let your cares of this world disappear. How? Soak in Him. Spend time in prayer, earnestly seeking His face, giving up these silly things that we let define us. He demands our attention. He deserves every ounce of us. We are so busy giving it to outside commitments, to keeping up with the newest thing, to worrying about what someone else thinks of us, how we look in comparison to everyone else.

Just give it all to Him, ladies. Don't accept that this is the way it will be. You want to change it? Don't keep fighting the value battle on your own- He's already won it! We are busy swinging our swords in the darkness trying to overcome, when all we need to do is ask for the light! We'll find out we were swinging at nothing the entire time.

Jesus is good. He is so merciful. Give Him 20 minutes of prayer today. It doesn't matter where or when or what. Beg him to help you. Come to Him, broken, asking his forgiveness for placing your heart on anything but Him. I promise He answers. He is faithful. You'll find you are worth far more than you ever imagined.




Linking up at: Encouraging Words Wednesday where you can find more encouragement!

11 comments:

cjcETCA said...

This is so awesome, Mandy! Thank you so much for sharing this. It is very convicting. What a wonderful reminder and a great perspective that we oftentimes forget!

Nicki Drake said...

I came across your blog yesterday and listened to your laundry devotional. I just want you to know that I LOVED it. God is using you. You have a great voice for such a ministry and the Spirit was clearly talking through you. Keep it up! As a busy Christian Mama, it's hard to stop and read devotionals, the audio devo. is a great idea. Thanks for sharing and being obedient to Christ.

Mandy said...

Thanks for listening Cayse! :)

Mandy said...

Nicki- I can't tell you how much that means to me! The Lord knew I needed some encouragement today and He sent you! Thank you for your sweet comment!

Ashley Weaver said...

I just read this right now. It is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I just blogged last night about this very thing. I labeled it as where is my "identity" rather than value, but I believe it's one in the same. Thank you. And praise the Lord. I am needing Him and His approval very much right now.

Ruthy said...

This devotional is so encouraging. Thank you for posting it.

Sabrina said...

Thank you. This was great. May God bless you.I was thinking about this very issue yesterday...so I know God is speaking to me about this.

Dawn R. (RN4jchrist) said...

Hi Mandy!! JUST found your blog from Time-Warp Wife!! and you are a total inspiration!! LOVED this devotion!! I know its old but its what I needed to hear today.. God is good all the time.. it was a divine appointment for me to read/Listen to this.. while my 3 boys were all asleep! so excited to to find you.. so many things in common!! (we homeschool too) and (recently we watched the Forks over Knives documentary and are also slowly implementing a change in our diet! you will definitely see more of me! God is using you in a mighty way! Thanks again!

Elizabeth said...

I stumbled onto your blog today and just listened to your devotional on value. God spoke through you and into my heart. He knew exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you for being His voice.

Lois said...

Thanks for this.I find spare time a rare thing so audio devotional is fabulous for giving me some time to reflect on what really matters.

mandyBH said...

Oh wow! That's awesome! He's so so good isn't he? Nice to "meet" you! Love that he can connect us across the world!
Sent from my iPod

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...