August 26, 2011

granola bars in 15 minutes {food on friday}

Today's {food on friday} feature is homemade granola bars!

I'm really excited about this {fof} because I get to eat quite a few of these bars this weekend! I'm leaving to attend the most amazing fitness event- a Les Mills Super Quarterly bright and early tomorrow! I teach BodyPump and BodyCombat, both of which are Les Mills group fitness classes, and this weekend is the highlight of a LM instructor's year! We get to be taught by the very best- the people who create the choreography for the classes we teach every week. It's an all-out crazy two days of as much exercising as you can do! And it's going to be great! Exercising, a mini-girl's getaway, dinners out, and fellowship with other instructors- so, so exciting!!

Luckily, we do get a few breaks in between the multiple classes, so we have time to recharge before the next class. I'm taking these tasty little treats with me to refuel- my favorite granola bars! I found a recipe in a newsletter a few years ago, changed it up to meet our taste, and I've been using it to make my own granola bars ever since.

IMG_1805

For today's {food on friday} I'm going to show you how to make granola bars at home!
Now they probably don't fall under the healthiest granola bar category, but they definitely taste good.
They don't have preservatives or artificial ingredients, and it's way more frugal to make them at home!
A 10x15 pan of granola bars using real butter and honey will cost me about $3.35 to make- which is far cheaper than one box of eight tiny bars for the same price at the store! Better for you and cheaper too- I'll take it! :)
Here's what you'll need:

IMG_1753
butter, salt, vanilla, brown sugar, oats, honey, and a little ground cinnamon is optional, depending on the flavor you want.

These ingredients will give you a basic granola bar, and you can add your favorite mix-ins if you'd like!
Preheat your oven to 450.

IMG_1749

Melt 3/4 of a cup of butter.

{butter is definitely best, but margarine might work too}

IMG_1744

Then combine all of your ingredients...
add 1 cup of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of honey {or corn syrup, or pancake syrup- less healthy but they work in a pinch! Hey, we've all been there!}

IMG_1754

and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla

IMG_1763

then 1 teaspoon of salt.

IMG_1764

Add 4 cups of oats. Old-fashioned or quick will work.

IMG_1768

And a dash of cinnamon (if you want to!), and 1/2-1 cup of your favorite add-in.
You can go the healthy way and add some healthy flax seed, or raisins. Personally, I love chocolate chips! ;)

Stir it all up. It should be kind of sticky and wet. All that sugar and honey did the trick.

IMG_1771

Spread it all out in a 10x15 jelly roll pan. Any lipped baking pan will probably work here.

IMG_1772

I pressed a few raisins into half of my batch for the kiddos.

IMG_1774

Bake for 9-11 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Watch them carefully, because they will burn in no time at all.

In fact, they will catch on fire if you forget about them.
And your oven's alarm will go off and beep like crazy and the display will flash "f11, f11, f11" over and over again. And it won't reset.
Not that I'd know that from personal experience or anything.

If you want them to be crunchier, let them stay in a little longer.

Just don't forget about them, okay? ;)

IMG_1776

Let them sit for a couple of minutes to cool, and then score them with a pizza cutter or knife.

IMG_1778

When they cool, remove from the pan and enjoy!

IMG_1781  

here's the full recipe for you:
granolarecipe.png

and you can print it here:
I hope you enjoy them! I know I will this weekend! ;)

31 comments:

  1. I'm making these the second my store bought ones run out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making these the second my store bought ones run out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW I've got a recipe linkup going on! (Blog.TheSingingSparrow.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when recipes have ingredients I already have! I'm making these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this recipe! I am hooked on these, and so is my family. I don't think I will be purchasing granola bars again... these are sooooo great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband LOVED these when I made them last night, he actually said "what are these? They are so yummy!" and of course, ate another one. I brought one to a co-worker today and she is planning to make her own batch tonight. We almost bought a bag of granola from the grocery store the other day. Thank goodness we didn't, because my family devoured these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yay! Hmm... it may be that my aluminum pans help them slide out easily. Nothing sticks to them but cheese. :) I don't butter the pan for this recipe since it has 3/4 cups of butter in it. Parchment would definitely help if it does seem to stick though, or spraying or rubbing extra butter on too should help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these today, and they were sooo good! The only problem I had was that I could not get them out of the pan! My pan is a sticky mess...what is your secret? Do you use parchment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps buttering your pan first would help.

      Delete
  9. I made these today and we loved them! I had to stop myself from eating half of a 9x13 pan by myself. :)

    www.dearlylovedmist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am soooooo trying these. They look super yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those look sooo good!!

    xoxo
    Jenna Duty

    www.thedutyfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm... this is the 2nd recipe for homemade granola bars I've seen today- I might have to try them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum! Thx for sharing! gonna try 'em for the kids :) and try not to steal some myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Which...you might have to to make it to the front row!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wooo! Look at those purdy nails! I don't know if Dan and Rach are going to let such a girly-girl in the front row. You're going to have to prove you can punch first! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! These are easier (and look better) than the ones I make! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so excited to make these for my family. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm homeschooling my kids, so this would be perfect for my cooking class. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't see the addition of the brown sugar in the pictured instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifth picture down, where the honey is being added, looks like the brown sugar was added just before; written to include, but not photographed individually. Definitely use the sugar. They're delicious! Hope this helps you; happy baking!

      Delete
  20. Did you use brown sugar in yours and honey or only honey?

    ReplyDelete
  21. These were wonderful! Added a few chopped lightly salted almonds and mini-chocolate chips! I buttered my pan, but they still had to be pried out. But they did eventually come out just fine. Gave me a workout at least!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking forward to trying these. I've been looking for a good granola bar recipe for a couple year now. One that uses ingredients we already keep on hand. Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are ridiculously good (and addictive)!! Lovely how easy they are to make. This time was just raisins & mini chocolate chips. Next time I'll add craisins and slivered almonds and skip the chocolate...on second thought, or not. :) Anyway, very grateful for your sharing. Your blog is always joy to read. Thanks for doing the work that goes into it. You do a beautiful job. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How many does this make? Do you have to store these in the refridgerator?

    ReplyDelete

Oh, thank you so much for leaving a comment! I read every single one, and try to respond if I can! Thank you for being a part of the {bh} community!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...