laundry devotion {on weariness}

This week’s laundry devo is on weariness. Many of us are in a stage of life that leaves us physically or emotionally weary, but it’s so exciting to know that the Bible is full of encouragement and instructions for those who are exhausted and burdened!

With four little children at home all day, volunteering, homeschooling, writing, cleaning, and cooking, I’m feeling the exhaustion each day, and need all the help I can get from the Lord. Are you in a weary stage of life too? How do you like to go to the Lord with your burdens? I’d love to hear your thoughts!

___________________________________________

Do you have small children, or a busy job or life, or a heavy load at school- or anything that causes you consistent physical exhaustion?

Are you battling with an emotional weariness? Maybe it’s from fighting with another person, or maybe it’s struggling with grief and mourning, or sin, or with worry about a certain situation? 

Have you just felt tired or exhausted by daily life? Well, today's devotion is a study of weariness- we are going to look into the Bible's perspective on it, and how we can be renewed through the Lord in times of great trial or weariness.

It so amazing- the Bible is full of promises and encouragement for the weary! The Bible offers hope for the tired, like it does for the suffering, the hungry, and the thirsty.

Here are just a few of the promises of Scripture:

  • "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
  • "For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish.” Jeremiah 31:25
  • "He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength." Isaiah 40:29

Are you weary? Are you faint, overwhelmed, tired, or or heavily burdened? I'm sure you've already realized it if you are. 

I think we all feel weary at some point- there are seasons of great trial and exhaustion in our lives. Some last for days, some for weeks, some for years.

No matter which season you are in, the Lord promises to relieve your burdens: "Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you, He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." Psalm 55:22

I know if you are like me, you "get" this verse, you know it's true, but maybe you wish for a little practical application to go with it.  Maybe your daily prayers sound like mine: Lord, please help me to be happy while I'm cleaning up these milk spills all over the house from that leaking sippy cup. Help me not to detest the extra cleaning work these children cause me. Lord, please get me through this day of homeschooling- I just don't want to do it anymore. There are reasons I pick topics like these for laundry devotions! :) Maybe your prayers sound a little different than mine but give the same cry, "Lord, I need you, I'm tired!"

Studying weariness in the Bible, I was excited to see some very practical applications for dealing with exhaustion. {Believe it or not, coffee wasn't in there anywhere! Go figure.}

The first practical step we can take in dealing with exhaustion is:

1. Examine your weariness.

Like I said before, you probably don't have to take a quiz to see if you are weary. You know it. You feel it. But why are you weary? Do you know what it is that primarily causing your exhaustion? Can you name it, or write out a list?

Galatians 6:9 gives us some insight and a promise into weariness: "And let us not be weary in well-doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

We all know that one, right? We like the promise that comes with it anyway.

But the question I have for you is this: are you weary in well-doing? Is the thing that is making you so tired a good work of some kind? Is it profitable for the kingdom of God? Because the reaping and the perseverance is rewarded for "well-doing."

Some well-doings in the faith are easier to see- ones like raising children, being a kind spouse, helping other people, showing patience to those who need it. Are those the things making you tired? You will see the good reward at the end- whether on this earth or in Heaven. 

Again, the question is- are the things that are making you tired well-doing? Are you working so hard at that job to keep it so you can feed the family, or to receive glory for yourself as you climb the corporate ladder? Are you volunteering at that charity because you truly care for the cause and want to help people, or because everyone else is doing it? If you're a blogger, what is your motivation? What are you seeking to accomplish with the hours of work and labor you are putting in online? And the question that applies to any and all of these: is this for the glory of God? Or for my own?

We know that nothing lasts here in this place, and we need to seek His priorities if we hope for His promises. He alone gives us rest and hope, and relieves our burdens. Most of the time we can see why we are tired, but even when we can't we need to take the second step:

2. Go to Him with your weariness.

In one of the most familiar verses in the Bible,  Matthew 11:28, Jesus promises relief to the burdened and weary: "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

And in Psalm 55:22, He promises to sustain you. "Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you. He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."

And in 1 Peter 5:7, "Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."

He already knows our burdens, friends. Your problems won't shock the Creator of the universe, so why don’t you turn to Him? He loves you more than anyone ever could.

And did you realize that the Bible seems to give us even more specific instructions on when and how to give our burdens to Him?

Let's see if you can spot in these Scriptures what seems to be the best time to come before the Lord with our burdens:

  • Psalm 5:3: "In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation."
  • Psalm 88:13: "But I cry to you for help, O LORD; in the morning my prayer comes before you."
  • Psalm 119:147: "I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word."
  • Psalm 143:8: "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul."
  • Psalms 63:1: "O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;"
  • Isaiah 26:9: "With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness."

And looking to our perfect example, Mark 1:35 says:

"In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there.”

It looks to me like the morning is the best time to come before the Lord- what do you think? Please don't be discouraged by that if you are not able to rise hours before dawn at this moment- it doesn't say give a specific time spent in prayer- just that He hears our requests early in the morning. I love that!

Doesn't that resonate with you? Can you think of the days when you spent time in prayer before your day began? Were those days the same as the ones you didn't request His help? Thinking back, I know that the days I prayed before my day began were far easier and better than the days I didn't. Praying first thing, giving your burdens to the Lord is an important part of casting your cares on him. 

And then what do you do after you ask for him to take your burden:

Psalm 27:14 says, "Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!" 

And, "My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him." Psalm 62:5

And in Isaiah 40:31: "But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

Give your day to him first thing, and then wait for him to give your strength.

And then I love that the Bible gives us a practical example of a weary person. Remember Elijah in 1 Kings 19- he had just been through the serious showdown with the prophets of Baal, and had to confront king Ahab. When he heard the king's wife Jezebel planned to kill him, he ran far away and hid, and his depression was so deep he wanted to die. He was exhausted, and what did the Lord do? He provided him with food, drink, and sleep. Which leads us to our next step of practical application:

3. Replenish your energy stores.

You are tired, weary, and just done. It's so important to make sure that you are getting enough sleep and nourishment. Weariness compounds itself when you don't allow your body to physically rest- when you're constantly not sleeping or not eating. I feel the worst when I have been busy and haven't eaten- and oddly enough, I suddenly feel so much better once I eat a good meal. Sometimes exhaustion is a symptom of not eating enough food or drinking enough to meet your body's needs. I love that the Lord took care of Elijah's physical needs so that he could go on.

And then there's one last step in the process of casting your cares on Him.

4. Give your weariness an eternal perspective.

The Scriptures give us another perspective on this particular time in our lives: "For this momentary light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to what is seen but to what is unseen; for what is seen is transitory, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18.

And again in Romans 8:18: "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us."

Looking at our situation in light of eternity changes our perspective. This time here is not even a blurb on the radar of eternity! Soon and very soon, we will be in Heaven, and the problems of today will be long forgotten- right? Are you with me? Do you see it?

Our Father wants to carry our burdens- to relieve our weariness and give us strength in Him. May we give every burden to Him today and then again tomorrow! Life on this earth is not easy, but with the Lord's help we will survive the exhaustion and find our hope and strength in Him. I'm praying that we will do just that, and I hope that you will pray that along with me this week.

 

linking up at the Wiegands

 

About Laundry Devotions:
I tend to think of my laundry room as my prayer closet. I spend a lot of time in there where I get away from everything else while folding clothes (laundry for six keeps a girl busy ;). It's awesome because my hands are busy doing what I'm called to do and I get to spend time with God at the same time. I realized maybe that concept would work for others who are in a super busy stage of life like me. Maybe you are in the car, or at the kitchen sink, or prepping dinner. Whatever you might be doing, I hope this short audio format helps you give you a chance to focus on God even in an unlikely setting, like the laundry room! :)

Grab the Laundry Devotions button!
Just copy and paste the code below into your blog sidebar or post's html!

15 comments

Jenny McDaniel said...

I really needed to read this today. Thank you!

Adrienne Jelderks said...

thank you so much for this. i needed this today. thank you for taking the time to do this. it means so much.

Nagillim said...

Thank you, so encouraging.

Scdoring said...

I just had to read this again. In fact, I think I am going to print it and put it in my journal. Every person in our family of 5 has been sick this week. And my baby is teething and her favorite soothing ritual is nursing. This devo is so beautiful.

Scdoring said...

LOVE this.

J Dunn said...

Just found you - thank you.

mandyBH said...

Oh, I'm so glad it's helpful to you! :D

Shonda said...

Oh, my goodness! I needed this today. I'm so tired and overwhelmed and I can't seem to get on top of anything. I'm going to write these verses down as my meditations for this week.

homeyhome-jody@blogspot.com said...

So encouraging! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for this post,I am just worn out physically and emotionally.

Anonymous said...

Thanks I so needed this

Anonymous said...

Thank you!! I recently found you on facebook. I really needed to hear this. Our God is great how is works through others to bring us a message we need to hear. I am a mother of 3 children. My oldest is almost 15 and then I have an 11 year old son and our 4 year old daughter we adopted through foster care at 20 months. 11 weeks ago we received the call that our daughters siblings had been taken into care and wanted to place them with their sibling. Every part of my flesh was saying no!! I can't take on two more children! Every part of my heart was saying yes... 9 weeks ago they moved in with us. 18 month old little boy and 4 month old little girl. Going from 3 children to 5 children overnight has been a bit of shock and many tears have been shed. I am weary and burdened and trying to remember to cry out to my heavenly Father. Growing up in an abusive home I have always been a survivor. I think I felt I had to be strong always to make through that time in my life. It has been a very stressful time but a wonderful time as well. These sweet babies need someone to love them and make them feel safe. They are the victims in all of this. Thanks for the reminders and the scriptures I needed them. I just need to call out to him when I rise and lean on him during the day. Please pray for us. It is an emotional roller coaster not knowing how long they will be with us or if God will call us to adopt them. We wait on His timing in all things. Thank you again... Hugs

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! I had just been telling my husband I was weary today and this popped up on my facebook! Thank you for your obedience to the Lord! God Bless!

Katie Mac said...

Wow! Thank you for this. Your words have truly lifted me up. I'm a very weary momma especially this morning!

Deborah said...

As I am adjusting to life with a newborn, this is exactly what I needed to read. Thank you for posting this two years ago and then putting it on Facebook yesterday.