living room tour {with before and after pics!}

I’m so excited to show you our living room “before and after!” We started remodeling it in the spring, and I’m happy that after six months of working on it {including finishing those last few details}, we are finally done! Phew! I want to encourage those of you who are still renovating- it’s worth it!

We bought our home last year as a foreclosure, and the previous owners did not take great care of the house at all. The fireplace was falling down, the floors hadn’t been cleaned in ages, and there were several cracks in the drywall. I so wish we’d gotten more before pictures so I could show you! You never want to take pictures of ugly though!

I showed you the entryway a couple of weeks ago, so let’s do the full tour today!

the living room before:

DSCN0554

off-white trim, yellow walls, icky dark floors, and even with the warm walls, extremely dreary.

DSCN0556

and after all of our DIY blood, sweat, and tears work…

can we get a drumroll, please…

 

…….

the finished living room!

IMG_3988

IMG_3994

IMG_3911

We repainted the living room, refinished the floors {aren’t they uh-mazing! thank you honey!}, installed a new fan, and partially remodeled the fireplace. And we bought “new to us” furniture to go with everything! The leather couch was ours before {$350}, and the white furniture is all from Ikea- the couch, ottoman, and chaise, were only $400 from Craigslist. The green buffet is actually a vintage radio I’ve had for 10 years.

IMG_3953


IMG_3946

IMG_3880

The fireplace is now one of my favorite things about the house. When I told people how we were going to rip off the drywall and make a “feature wall” showing off it’s original look, I think they probably thought I needed to be committed. I mean, why would you tear off drywall? ;) I understand, though- I’d been longingly watching people recreate plank walls with mdf for over a year in blogland, and I’m sure they’d never heard of such a thing.

So you can imagine after admiring Layla and Kevin’s Lettered Cottage and their siding walls {new and old} for so long, when I found out I had amazing original 116 year-old planks behind my walls, I was little a more than thrilled!

Every wall in our house was built with horizontal tongue-and-groove planks {which make for an interesting time hanging pictures, btw!}. We tore down the drywall that had rippled and was coming off over the fireplace, painted and caulked the wood, and trimmed it out with molding. {oh, when I say we, I mean my husband- he is seriously my hero. The man is a genius. I help mostly by bringing him stuff, taking pictures, and telling him if it’s straight…what a job, right?} I’ll give you the play-by-play with pictures in another post. :)

The actual fireplace is marble, and the brick threshold is original as far as we can tell. It’s a little messed up from the last 116 years, but I am okay with that.

He also installed the sconces from Ikea. They are brushed nickel with white pleated fabric shades. The pleated shade reminded me of the 80’s at first, but it’s really grown on me, and I think it’s the perfect blend for this space. It’s not too modern, not too nautical. Perfect.

IMG_3974

The armoire was a Craigslist find for $200. The bird cage {ah, my lovely bird cage!} was a Goodwill steal for $25! I didn’t do anything to it. It was just sitting there waiting for me to come and buy it. Love at first sight.

IMG_3933-1

The reading/task lamp, I’m almost 100% sure it came from Pottery Barn. I’ve been wanting one for forever, but for $200, it wasn’t in the budget. I found this one at Goodwill for $7. The shade welding had come loose so no one bought it- all I did was just put it back on the right way, and it was as good as new!

IMG_3921

The coffee table was originally my friend Abbie’s- she redid her living room and sold it to me {and put a tufted ottoman in it’s place!}. I’d never had a single coffee table in my adult years, but now that I have a toddler I don’t have to worry as much about little ones hitting the edges {hooray for older kids!}. When I bought it, she told me it needed refinishing, but hey, I have four kids, so really, why bother? Right? It’s just got character at this point.

IMG_3949

The stained glass window made for a very interesting time picking the paint color {it ended up being “Sea Salt” by Sherwin Williams}. It was seriously difficult to find a perfect one- in fact, we painted the entire living room from top to bottom and it took me two days to decide I hated the first color. {Hooray for husbands that don’t leave when you tell them you want to repaint two days later!}

IMG_3902

The rug was from Lowe’s- it was on clearance for $150. I love it. It’s made from synthetic fiber, so it doesn’t shed, and it cleans up very well! I was so excited to find a rug that was so “me-” I love florals and neutrals, but not too traditional. Love.

IMG_3963

The old chair was a find from the best garage sale loot ever. The butterfly prints were from Marshall’s, $13 each.

IMG_3920

And here are a few more details like the webster’s flower wreath, a lamp from Home Goods- my first full-pricer! @ $40, basket from Ikea, vintage pillow from Goodwill, teal/blue throw from Marshall’s, sign from Hobby Lobby, $7, ottoman, a Craigslist find I had recovered- $80 total cost.

2011-09-27

Just for fun, let’s see that one more time, shall we?

before:

DSCN0554

after:

IMG_3988

IMG_3994

*happy sigh*  :)

I’m so thankful for a very sweet man who spent hours working on this room for us. So thankful. He is amazing.

Remodeled living rooms really don’t matter at all in the grand scheme of life- they will be forgotten, get old and need repainting again. It’s all just stuff.

The only “things” that truly matter are the people who live here, and the memories of us doing just that- memories of existing here in this place, loving each other, being a family.  I think it’s a story we will all remember in eternity.

As to whether we will remember Sea Salt walls and old chairs and bird cages, I really don’t know. But for the moment, I’m thankful for the lovely setting as we all play our parts.

60 comments

Jeri patton said...

It is GORGEOUS!! I love how Sea Salt looks with the floors!! Looooove, looove!!

mandyBH said...

Thank you!! Love you!! :D

mandyBH said...

:D thank you!! I'm so glad you stopped by for a visit!

mandyBH said...

Thank you! Oh, I wish I could remember the name- it was very similar- I think it was Silvermist from Sherwin Williams but it turned out greener than it looked on the sample. My poor hubs! lol!

Erin said...

Beautiful! I love it! It is so refreshing and cozy.

I just repainted my kitchen and nook practically the same color--it's so calming. :) What color did you do first (that you hated)?

Beckyackroy said...

So, so beautiful!!!!! I found you through a link at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. I love what you've done- just the look I'm aiming for in my renew & redo projects.

mandyBH said...

Thank you! :D

Josanne said...

Wow! The makeover is stunning! You and your hubby did a beautiful job! I was truly amazed at the transformation! And your floors are GORGEOUS!!!

Mjbrumley said...

I love, love your beautiful, warm & inviting living room! You and Rob are so innovative, and I am so proud of you both!

mandyBH said...

Aww, thank you for your sweet words! :D

mandyBH said...

thank you! :D He says thank you too!

mandyBH said...

That's awesome! I wish I had done that! That's a phenomenal price!

mandyBH said...

Thank you! :D

mandyBH said...

It's called Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams :)

Jennifer Carawan Creviston said...

Wow, that is amazing...

Deidra said...

I found your blog through a post from The Lettered Cottage on Facebook! Love it all! We have very similar tastes and that is MY rug too! Also, a clearance find at our Lowes, but I asked the manager (a friend of a friend) if he would come off the $174 clearance price and I got it for $85! It NEVER hurts to ask!

Jody said...

I love your living room! Its beautiful! I just found your blog and am so excited to see you merge your faith with your passion for decorating! I just started blogging myself and really have wanted to do the same but wasn't sure how. Thank you for your inspiration!

Spread the Luv said...

Amazing Transformation~! God bless.........

Stuff and Nonsense said...

what a truly fabulous space you have now

i love that you were able
to marry both the vintage quality
of your old home
and yet
give it a fresh
updated look and feel

how welcoming it is now

we too live in an old home
and i know the challenges faced
when renovating ancient spaces

thanks for sharing your hard work!

alison

Elyssa McDowell said...

Just lovely! You do such a good job of blending textures; from the leather, to the baskets, to the birdcage and the sheer curtains. I pinned this to pinterest!

mandyBH said...

:D thank you!

mandyBH said...

thank you! :D

mandyBH said...

the plank walls are handy for that! I hope you can come see me in December- I've got a market planned...I need to email you as a matter of fact! congrats on the DIY showoff!

mandyBH said...

Thanks! :D

Brenda Davis said...

Wow!! It is beautiful Mandy..And to think, yaw did most of it in 110 degree temperature!!

Jenniferkindle said...

it is stunning!!!! very beautiful...just like it's designer!

Kelli@morebangforyourbucks said...

First of all, love, love, love the remodel! And I love your comment of "by we I mean he"- I just used something like that in my last post as well!
And third- this so makes me miss our old house in E. Texas! We also had the plank walls- can you say no stud-finding necessary? Our house we live in now is 2.5 years old and I am very thankful- but I really do miss our old one.

Steph222000 said...

Very nice place. It is very welcoming.

mandyBH said...

Thanks!! :) I got the curtains at ikea- $29 for a pair of 115 inch linen curtains! Definitely the best deal I've ever seen, and I got a pair of gray ones at the same time. They have great deals on them!

Katie said...

I love it! LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the dark floors and stained glass window and oh that fireplace:) Where did you find your curtains--we have lived in our home for a year--and I'm having a hard time finding the perfect curtains for it.

Kelly said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! It's so crisp and inviting! Great job! :)

Deanna said...

What a great transformation! I loveeeeee the fireplace! You did great combining so many different elements to create exactly what you wanted! Hubby, great job too! :)

Thanks for sharing
Deanna@DeelitefulCreations

TracieB. said...

Beautiful! Found your blog thru Layla's Facebook page.....I "liked" your page too! I can't wait to see more of your fantastic work! ;)

At The Picket Fence said...

Found your beautiful living room through Layla's Facebook wall link! Stunning! Truly stunning! Every detail is so perfect. You've made your living room not only a showcase for beautiful design and inspiration but also a warm place for your family to gather. I love what you wrote at the end...so true! Thank you for sharing you lovely space with us.

Heather

Brandy Allen said...

I never ever find Finds like that on Craigslist. Our area just down right sucks for awesome Finds. I have been in the market for white sofas just like those too! Great redo - it looks fabulous!

Vwhitetravel said...

Oh, my. I'm SO happy for you...that you get to live in this beautiful room. You have incredible taste and talent. Ditto for the hubster who evidently is a master carpenter and craftsman. I secretly grinned when I recognized my favorite "sea salt" paint. I've used it on several redos myself, and still love it. Sending you warm wishes from Texas, with hope you'll enjoy many many happy days in your beautiful new room! It's got real WOW factor.....

Gloria @Potentially Beautiful said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the color on the walls and the fireplace is truly a focal point now. The stained glass window is amazing.

Gleason45 said...

I love it, and I love how you show that everything does not have to be brand new...just gently loved!!!

Melissa Leandre said...

Beautiful! I love the color of the walls! Could you tell me what paint that is?

opalessence said...

Hey hey Mandy! We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel due to a kitchen fire :/ and i immediately thought to come to your blog! You don't happen to have pics of your kitchen on your blog, do you? I have white cabinets and stainless and black appliances and am needing visual inspiration for paint color, backsplash and flooring.

Erica said...

Beautiful! I have that same rug. We picked ours up for $40!! You have great taste!

Raechel Ferguson said...

Ok I just found your blog and think it is my new favorite! Love your house too!

DebiRN said...

I must get off your site and get a few things done at my own home!! Your blog is completely addicting.... must do chores now! xoxoxo

Lauren Rebecca said...

This room is absolutely breath taking! Love it.
New follower.

LaurenRebecca.com

RaNae B said...

Love the living room Mandy it is beautiful

Ann said...

I love it Mandy! I laughed..I redid my laundry room in Sea Salt by SW. I love it!

Donna McBroom-Theriot said...

Drumroll!! Beautiful! Great Job!

kirsten said...

Your remodeling looks amazing! Just curious...how did you deal with the issue of lead paint and/or asbestos when you remodeled--I'm sure there's quite a bit of it on the doors/woodwork/windows/etc.

B His Girl said...

I have enjoyed browsing through your blog. I pray the Lord blesses your home and family in ways you never even dreamed. B

Nadine in Nevada said...

I just found your Blog today through "House of Hepworth". I am so excited! Your living room re-do is AMAZING. I so - so wish I had the eye that you do...

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos said...

Oh my goodness... what an absolutely gorgeous room!! I found you through TDC, and I'm laughing because I posted about my new paint color, which happens to also be Sea Salt. Love that color, and it looks terrific in your space. Looking forward to following you and catching up on your older posts :)

mandyBH said...

It had only been painted recently apparently- it passed all of the lead tests- but we were careful to make sure we didn't sand anything painted just in case, and we taped off all the rooms and air vents while they were being redone just to be extra cautious.

Brooke @ Spruce Your Nest said...

Looks Beautiful!

Brandy said...

Love it! I especially love the monogram, but have you thought of layering a larger mirror behind it to make it have more impact? It would really make that beautiful mantle sparkle. Just an idea.

Sarah Lyall said...

Your room looks amazing...your hard work paid off and then some!

Jena said...

Mandy, your living room is absolutely beautiful! Your home has so much charm, and I am so impressed you guys are renovating a home that is over 100 years old! We have Sea Salt in our powder room and we have the same Ikea sofa in our living room. Great minds, right? I would love to add this to my paint color galleries and include you in a feature post. You wouldn't have to do a thing, just let me know if you're interested!

mandyBH said...

Absolutely!! That would be awesome! Thank you! Please let me know if you do need anything from me, I'd be glad to help! Thank you,
Jena!! :D I love your blog btw! what a great way to show/record paint colors!

sundayschild1966 said...

Hello! I found my way to you via .. let's see, first was "Live Renewed", then linked to "home-ec101", then linked to you. Your living room is gorgeous, the pics are like something out of one of "those" magazines. lol A fireplace, a stained glass window, hardwood floors, WOW! The colour of the walls looks perfect to me, in case you are keeping score on opinions. hee hee .. thanks for sharing your lovely home with us.

God Bless and hugs, if you want one .. Julie Andrea

A Proverbs 31 Wife said...

Love your thrifty side :)
We have very little in our house that was bought brand new. Mostly craigslist and garage sales.

Amy K said...

I just gasped!! It's amazing!! Love it!