thrifted find #1 & thrift store "ambiance" {31 days of thrifting}

 
On the first day of thrifting, my true love gave to me:

 
The Dyson handheld vacuum- $25, brand new in the package at Goodwill.
{bonus points if you can sing that to the tune!}
 
It was a Target surplus item, and I don't know why it was there or how I was the one who managed to find it, but I snatched it up quicker than you could say your mama's middle name.
 
The day I bought it, it was selling for $339 on Amazon.
 
Pretty sweet!
_________________________________
 
thrifting tip #1:

Prepare to enter a different world when you thrift. One that isn't too pretty.
 
Realize before you ever walk through the doors of a thrift store, it's not going to look {or smell} like Marshall's. If yours does, count yourself extremely lucky. You will likely see dirty floors, polyester clothes your grandma wore back in 1978, and lots of weird, overpriced junk you wouldn't put in your house if you were paid to. But somewhere among those decorative 80's ceramic bow-tie-wearing duck cookie jars and hanging fabric calendars from 1994, great treasures are hiding.
 
Like my pretty little brand-spankin'-new Dyson.
 
*grin*
 
So how does your favorite thrift store look? I've not seen a pretty one yet, have you?
{oh, and please leave the address in the comments if you have, I wanna go!}
Would you agree that it's worth it to overlook the atmosphere in most cases?
 
__________________________________
 
Wanna find out why I'm blogging about thrifting for 31 days straight?
 
And don't forget to check back at the Nester's place for lots of other 31 day blogging topics!
 
Enjoy the fun and grab a button!
Just copy and paste the code below into your sidebar or post's html!

 

Wanna join in the fun? I would love to feature a few of your very best finds as well {you don’t even have to be a blogger!},  so email me at mandy  @ biblicalhomemaking dot com and submit your photo with a few details! That way we can all share in the thrifty goodness!
{be warned- it’s slightly addicting! :P}

26 comments

Mwimp1 said...

thanks! but some corrections - on day 3 post but it was a surya and actually retails for $1400! i got a 96% savings i was even happier! - i forgot i had already posted this on this here, lol! please forgive my blushing cheeks!

mandyBH said...

I know sometimes you end up with nothing at all, right?! hopefully next time you'll score some finds!! :D

mandyBH said...

Oh fun! please share when you do! You are so lucky to have good ones!! I need to come visit! :D

mandyBH said...

I love that the ugliest and worst stores have the best stuff! :D It's true around here too! I look around and think the same thing at my house!

mandyBH said...

Way to score on the shoes! I love getting good shoes for kids- in fact they are rarely new like that! I'm going to have to check out SA!

mandyBH said...

I agree with you on that one, even GW's have a very distinct feelings among them! :D

mandyBH said...

leather boots for $15 are a steal! I am so glad you got some time away too! It's nice to score a great find on a limited time budget! awesome job!! :D

mandyBH said...

I wish ours had deals like that. For the first time I can ever remember they took the summer clothes down to 75% off. I think they just don't have any competition down here so maybe they don't do great sales? I hope you find another good one soon! :D

mandyBH said...

WOW! That's amazing! Great find!!! I would love to have one of those at that price! Way to go!!

mandyBH said...

Oh, I hope you find a treasure or two soon! Thank you for joining me and reading along! :D

mandyBH said...

Ha! I love it! A good find leaves you completely giddy doesn't it? So much fun!!

mandyBH said...

Oh, I hope ours starts that! I'd be all over it! I love it!! Thanks for sharing!

DogsMom said...

I am a die-hard thrifter. I thought I would share a couple secrets with you. Goodwill has started a new "scratch off" game every 15th of the month, where you can get an additional 10, 15 or 20% off your entire purchase. They also have a senior citizen day and a student with ID discount day.
They are trying to get organized to get the points system working, where all your purchases credit you points toward a payout. My other thrift store does that and I seem to get paid out all too often!

Amy @ Feathered Friendsy said...

Excellent find! I love thrifting, and it's partially because of the weird smells and bow-tie wearing ceramic ducks...but mostly because I like the thrill of "the hunt!"

Dianntha said...

I try to go on wed when it is half off but I have never found anything so wonderful! I am excited to read your posts. Dianntha

Mwimp1 said...

absolutely worth the smell and digging (isn't that 1/2 the fun?)!! just today i got an 8'x12' pottery barn rug that will cover the horrible wood floors in my "formal dining room turned craft room" for $60. normally i wouldn't spend that much but its alot cheaper than replacing the floors or buying a new one (ard $700) so i thot it was a great deal!

HopefulLeigh said...

I'm so impressed by your Dyson find! That is incredible. I just took advantage of Goodwill's 50% off sale today, which netted a few decent finds. I'm still on the hunt for a good thrift shop in Nashville but my favorite from back home is Village Discount. All the clothes are organized by color, racks upon racks. They all have different colored labels and every day at least 3 tags are 50% off. They often have "buy 1 sweater/coat/pants, get 1 free" deals too. I miss it so much!

Leigh Anne said...

So excited bout your thrifting series! All the thrift stores are a 30min drive from where I live so I don't get to visit as often as I like w/ my 3 munchkins. But did sneak away the other day to a clothing consignment store and scored some brown leather Bandolino boots I've been wanting for $15. Also got a cute Liz Claborne denim blazer at the GW for only $3. Fun day! Can't wait to hear about some of your other great finds. That Dyson deal was AWESOME!

Heather said...

I am a regular to our local thrifts and each of them seem to have their own vibe. However my favorite thrift is actually in a different town.

Kristal said...

I always find Salvation Army stores to be clean and organized. They sort everything {even household stuff} by color. Looking forward to this series. I got a pair of brand new Merrell shoes for my daughter for $2 once.

MyCraftyHomeLife said...

I went thrifting yesterday, and had no luck. That is the frustrating part.

Kristen said...

I have been meaning to do more thrifting, and I have a feeling that your series is going to give me just the motivation I need!

kristy said...

Gainesville, Florida here. Not too many "great" places...mostly overpriced, but there are some places around town that I frequent. For a college town, our Goodwill is pretty awful. rarely do I find treasures there. However, I went to college in Orlando and just off of East Colonial, there is a GW that rocks! It also carries Target surplus...my fave finds, a pair of Joes Jeans in MY SIZE for $2.50 (discounted because they had a rip that was easily repaired), and a Keurig in the box for about 75% off purchase price!!! My SIL, mom and I always hit it after Black Friday shopping...our favorite tradition!

Statia said...

We're lucky to have quite a few good thrift stores by us. It's pretty much like you said, a lot of 80's decor, and grandma's clothes that smell like moth balls, but I did find a really cute table (which I hope to feature soon) and some other great things. I love thrifting.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I only own a few new things so this is a GREAT topic! Can't wait to read your series!!

Blessings,
melissa

Marla Taviano said...

Just about everything I own came from the thrift store (okay, not quite). I can't remember the last time I bought me or one of my kiddos clothes from a store (except for underwear, although I've bought that at the thrift store too). My thrift store (Columbus, OH) is ugly and in a bad part of town, but I find awesome stuff there!