day 11: thrifting your party {31 days of thrifting}

I mentioned yesterday that I hosted a bridal shower last weekend, and today I thought I’d share a few more thrifting finds and maybe give you a few money-saving ideas for throwing a shower on a budget!

I’ve been collecting serving pieces since we moved into our home last year, and it’s actually been a fun challenge to see what I can save by buying used!

One of my favorite serving finds is this two-tiered silver server for $5. I’d been looking for something with multiple tiers, and couldn’t find anything pretty at a store for less than $20, so I was super happy to find the vintage version!

IMG_4254

I added two tones of tissue paper to the bottom for a pop of color! The table runner is a colorful piece of fabric I loved, and it was just a few dollars for a yard at the fabric store.

The forks are in a tiny vintage silver trophy from Goodwill, $2. The cloche/cheese plate was originally an ugly oak, and deep teal spray paint came to the rescue {again!} for $2.

IMG_4231
The cake stand is actually a $4 candle holder and a $1.25 plastic bronze charger, both from Target {not thrifted, but probably as cheap!}.


IMG_4239
This big serving plate was $3 at Goodwill, and I added a $4 candle holder from Target underneath to make another stand! I thought it worked out well. I always love varying the height of my serving dishes to create visual interest.

IMG_4243
I bought the scalloped white milk glass bowl on the right for $4 at a local flea market.

The turquoise plate stand was originally from Target {and originally black too}, $10, and the white plates are Mikasa’s French Countryside pattern- a super find from Craigslist {but more on those later!}.

IMG_4259 
The silver-rimmed chip bowl was thrifted, $3, and the vase was from Target, $2.48. I added flowers from Sam’s Club for $5 to make the centerpiece for the table.

IMG_4233
I baked a quick batch of double chocolate brownie cookies the night before the shower and added pink rosettes by swirling the icing tip in a circle from the center to the outside. Oh, how I love icing! Yum.

A simple basket, $2 from Goodwill, held the cups and marker, and the bride’s gifts from us were engagement pictures I took and framed. I added them to the drink table and the gift table to make the shower a little more personal.

  IMG_4246

I loved how $5 begonias brought even more color to the table.

IMG_4237
I don’t feel bad for spending money on plants that will last, so if I can, I try to buy affordable potted ones that I can reuse later!

IMG_4254

Ah, bridal showers are fun! I hope you enjoyed the table tour! :D

How do you make hosting parties more affordable? We are hosting my eight year-old son’s birthday party this month too, so I’m all ears!

__________________________________

subscribe to {bh} by email to be entered into the October giveaway!

your email address:

:: follow on facebook ::
::
follow by rss feed ::
::
follow on twitter ::

Want to find out why I'm blogging about thrifting for 31 days straight?
 
Wanna join in the fun?
I would love to feature a few of your very best finds as well {you don’t even have to be a blogger!} so email me at mandy at biblicalhomemaking dot com and submit your photo or link with a few details! That way we can all share in the thrifty goodness! {be warned- it’s slightly addicting! :P}
 
Grab a button!
Just copy and paste the code below into your sidebar or post's html!

12 comments

Mwimp1 said...

i havent yet BUT i did find a wonderful oval tray that i'm going to use as a catchall for my mail on my desk, i can't wait to get my office done!

mandyBH said...

Thanks! I love your series! How fun! I love GW- and your tips are great!!

mandyBH said...

They were- she has purple and teal colors, and I added a few more for fun! Love the candy! I'm going to have to use that one for sure! :D

mandyBH said...

I know you will find one soon!

mandyBH said...

Yay! Thank you for following!! Love the used stuff, don't you? It's amazing! :D

mandyBH said...

No problem! I'm so happy you can use them! :D

Megan Parker said...

This is such a great idea! One of my friends is getting married and all us bridesmaids are on tight budgets so this is a perfect way to save money and still have cute decor! Thanks for the ideas :)

Stephanie Tarver said...

I love thrift shopping. My home is full of my finds and very cheap finds...I love your blog I am a new follower.
Stephanie
http://theladybugsgarden-stephanie.blogspot.com/

Mwimp1 said...

i luv luv luv ur two tiered vintage candy tray, i've been looking for one for months now! i swear i think everyone else has the bests gw's away from me, lol! i want to use it in my craft room to hold my rubber stamps.

Kelli@morebangforyourbucks said...

What an adorable table! Are those her wedding colors?
I just blogged today about a homemade goody I make for showers http://morebangforyourbucks.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-make-cute-little-mints.html - homemade candy. Everyone loves it and it is EASY! win/win

Tauja @ Simply Mod Mom said...

Great finds!! I'm a big fan of Goodwill too!! You never know what you'll find on any given trip!! Thoroughly enjoying your series-hope you'll pop by mine! Thanks!

Stephanie Toepel said...

Mandy, you have such a wonderful talent in arranging and showcasing AND in blogging. Everything on this table is beautifully selected and used with a wonderful creativeness. I LOVE everything about this table. To answer your question, no, I've never hosted anything before. The husband and I have a little table that seats four and its kinda crowded with that. I pray soon that we can host events and have tiny tootsies to soon sit at that table with us! :-)