day 14: ugly chair transformation & seeing potential {31 days of thrifting}

My husband thought I was more than a little crazy for bringing home two of these hideous dining chairs:

52182_1733262416099_1374708581_31843208_5017093_o

but he was amazed when my $11 chairs turned into this:

IMG_4435

Ah, spray paint and a piece of fabric can do wonders!

Now you’re probably thinking I’m crazy for having a white fabric dining seat with four kids {and I would agree with you}… don’t worry, it’s covered in plastic!

I was teased by my dad and brother that I’m turning into Ma on Everybody Loves Raymond, but hey, I can take it- I get pretty dining chairs and no stains! :P

thrifting tip #10:

don’t be afraid of ugly.

There is so much potential just waiting for you at the thrift store. You won’t always see exactly you were looking for, but if you can use your imagination a little you can see a whole new world of opportunity.

So many things are dirt cheap at the thrift store because they are ugly or broken. And no one wants ugly or broken, even at a low price.

But with a little paint, a quick fix, or even just a good cleaning- you can take someone else’s trash and transform it into your treasure.

So the question is, can you see potential in the ugly and broken? :)

{oh, I can’t stop thinking about how Jesus sees the potential in the ugly and broken! Oh the love of our Lord who gives love to the unworthy, who gives value to the worthless. I’m so thankful our value is found in Him and in nothing else! So much love- so undeserved. He is the only thing that really matters in this life.}

linking up at Miss Mustard Seed

________________________________

subscribe to {bh} by email to be entered into the October giveaway!
your email address:

:: follow on facebook ::
::
follow by rss feed ::
::
follow on twitter ::

Want to find out why I'm blogging about thrifting for 31 days straight?
 
Wanna join in the fun?
I would love to feature a few of your very best finds as well {you don’t even have to be a blogger!} so email me at mandy at biblicalhomemaking dot com and submit your photo or link with a few details! That way we can all share in the thrifty goodness! {be warned- it’s slightly addicting! :P}
 

Grab a button!
Just copy and paste the code below into your sidebar or post's html!

8 comments

mandyBH said...

Oh, great idea!! That might work for some chairs I have waiting to reupholster outside!! :D thanks for sharing!

mandyBH said...

Wohoo! rejoicing with you! love it when you find the perfect thing!

mandyBH said...

:D thanks for reading Teri! So glad to have you here!

mandyBH said...

Thanks Mary! I love it when we can surprise them! so fun! :D

teri-free2bme said...

Wow! ...very nice chair. I especially like what you said about our value to Jesus. Every time I refurbish a thrift find, the Lord reminds me of His transforming power.

I"m encouraged by your thrifting tip #10: don’t be afraid of ugly. (lol)
Teri in Corpus

Mwimp1 said...

totally not ugly as a matter of fact thats been the chair i've been looking for for my office, finally found one WITH casters WOOHOO!! and can't wait to pick it up and reupholster and paint it. u did a fabulous job! and luv the idea of the plastic covering.

Mary said...

love it! great job! ;) my hubby has turned his nose up to a few of my finds, but later had to recant because of the result! ;) love it, girl.
xo
mary

Mrs. Means said...

It turned out so pretty! Another good idea for when you recover something and you have little ones, use one of those vinyl table cloths you can get at Wal-Mart, or even the dollar store. They come in so many patterns, are easy to wipe off, and you could probably end up with enough to cover a pillow for the back of the chair too. This would be good for outdoor furniture too I think.