day 24: toasting retail prices {31 days of thrifting}

Can you believe we only have one more week of 31 days of thrifting?

Time is flying!

Speaking of flying, baking takes half the time when I use my convection oven. {haha! how’d you like that segue? ;)}

At the beginning of the summer {when it was like 100 degrees in May here!} I decided I needed to find a toaster oven to make quick meals- we weren’t using the a/c, so we were avoiding turning on the oven at all costs.

I was tempted to just go ahead and spring for a new one at Amazon:

But $60 {choke! *gasp*} was a little too much for me to spend on a countertop appliance.

So I waited instead, keeping my eyes out for one at the thrift store. We needed a big one that could hold enough food to feed our family, and I wanted it to have convection for baking, and to be pretty. Pretty high standards for a thrift store toaster oven.

So you can totally imagine I was thrilled when I found this a couple of weeks later:

A nearly new 6-slice convection oven for $7! Seven dollars!! Whoop!

It’s awesome. {as are the brownies marbled with cookies in the picture! ;)}

I’m so glad I waited and spent $7 instead of $60!

thrifting tip #14:

patience is your friend.

You’ve heard me say it before: in the thrifting world, you will rarely find what you are looking for right when you need it {which is the reason we plan ahead}.

But sometimes things break, and need to be replaced, or we don’t realize we need them in advance. Normally we would run to Wal-Mart or Target and pick one up right away. I’ve done it lots of times- it actually used to be just the way it was for us. I didn’t think I had a choice but to pay full price for that new soap dispenser. I needed it, so I bought it.

Here’s the thing- when I started thrifting I learned this very important lesson:
 
if you can be patient and hold off on buying an item for a few weeks, then search for it every time you thrift, you will probably find what you are looking for, or a good substitute at a substantially lower price than retail in a few weeks or less.

When you find your long-awaited item, trust me, you will be so ridiculously happy that your patience paid off! You might have to keep yourself from squealing or doing a little dance in the thrift store {not that I’d know or anything ;)}.

Patience has so many good fruits, doesn’t it? :)

________________________


subscribe to {bh} by email to be entered into the girl's night in October giveaway!

your email address:

 
Want to find out why I'm blogging about thrifting for 31 days straight?
here you go! Check out the Nester’s site for more 31 dayers!




Grab a button!
Just copy and paste the code below into your sidebar or post's html!



 

9 comments

Mary said...

this is soooo true! i can't tell you how many times i have waited and found EXACTLY what i wanted at the thrift! ;)

Kristal said...

My only issue with buying appliances is the worry that they contain roaches... all those vents for them to hide in.

MorganMuhlhausen said...

hey Kristal, i have a great pesticide free tip for de-roaching small appliances (or really, anything else!) Um, don't ask me how I came to need this tip, let's just roll with it.

A roach's life span without water is very short (don't remember how long exactly, but just a day or two I think). The thing you have to worry about is the egg pod thingies hiding inside, waiting to hatch (ewww, gross...i KNOW!) It takes three weeks from the time an egg pod (or whatever they are called, you know what i'm talking about!) is laid until they hatch. So, you have a three week incubation period. What you do is, bag the appliance in a trashbag, seal it airtight, then bag it again in another trashbag and seal again. I used duct tape to seal mine airtight. Let the treated appliance sit for three weeks (I did four two be safe). When you de-bag the item, you will see either no roaches because the appliance was clean in the first place, or lots of dead baby roaches because they hatched and then had no food or water. It really works :)

Hisglorygirl said...

So enjoying this series of posts. I usually look for thrifted clothes but....am about to branch out to other items, thanks to what you've shared with us! Thanks!

Betsy Pool said...

Love you site and your 31 days posts!! I just found your blog and am LOVING it!! Going to be following you for sure!

Kelli- AdventurezNchildRearing said...

what a great find~ we live in southwest florida & it's hot! I think this would be a wonderful find & patience is a great tip too! :)

mandyBH said...

hmm... I've never thought of that... but you could always leave them outside for a while before bringing them in. If it helps at all, I've bought tons of them and have never seen a single one! :D

Michelle Norris Wimp said...

ha! nothing wrong with a happy dance at the thrift store, just a few funny looks and alot of knowing thumbs up from others, haha.

Jules said...

I've enjoyed reading your thrifting posts. So true about waiting and patience is key...not my thing but I'm learning. Sometimes what your looking for take months but it's so rewarding when you find what you are looking for at a tenth of the retail price.