day 31: thrifting goals {31 days of thrifting}

2011-10-13
 
Thirty-one days of thrifting- phew, that was fun! I really enjoyed blogging on a single topic for 31 days and reaching the end of this challenge {like any other} is very exciting!
 
Some of you have emailed and commented here to tell me you’ve started thrifting and found some amazing deals! I couldn’t be more thrilled that you are entering the thrifting world- it’s exhilarating and a little crazy- but mostly it saves you a ton of money, right? :D
 
That and it’s so.much.fun!
 
I’m excited to announce that I plan to make thrifting a regular weekly feature around here- at least for a little while! I still have so much more I want to share with you on it! And we didn’t even get to talk about other thrifting sources like Craigslist and eBay yet!
 
I’m planning {if the Lord allows!} to give you guys more money-saving ideas and ways to buy and sell secondhand every Thursday! {and laundry devos will be earlier in the week!}.
 
But before we end our 31 days of thrifting series, the question I want to ask you thrifters- new and experienced alike- is this:
 
what is your goal in thrifting?
 
Maybe it’s one or all of these:
To save money for the future.
To be purposeful in re-using what is already made.
To be able to afford to stay at home with your children.
To save money towards paying off a debt that you owe.
To be a wise steward of the limited budget you might have.
To save money so that you can give more to others.
 
Really, why do you thrift?
 
I want you to outline your goal in thrifting because it’s easy to get caught up in the world of amazing deals, and before you know it,  you can find yourself buying things just because they are a great deal. Thrifting is fun, but it can clutter your life rapidly {I know from experience!}.
 
Maybe I can afford to buy three dresses at the thrift store for the price of one. That’s great and all, but the real question is, should I buy three dresses?
 
Do I actually need three dresses?
 
I’ve made this mistake more than once- I will end up buying too much and having it clutter my closet and my life, because I have no need or place for the great deals I scored.
 
I love, love this article I read over at Betty Duffy. If you are a thrifter, please read her post. Here’s just a little of what she says on thrifting:

It's time to admit, that just as my kids don't play with the wooden toys I'd prefer them to play with, I don't wear half my clothes; I'll never read half my books; and I don't bake specialty cakes. And yet, over the years I have accumulated an outrageous number of artifacts for a multi-faceted fantasy life that no one in this house actually lives.

Here is something that needs to come into the light: I'm a compulsive thrift store shopper. I buy things I don't need because they are a bargain and they help support whatever my fantasy du jour happens to be. If something can be got for nothing, I want it. If something grossly expensive can be got for a few dollars, I'll put out.

Have you been there too? We want- we find- it doesn’t satisfy- so we go back for more in hope that the next thing will. It’s endless, and it’s because there is no hope in stuff.

Luke 12:15 really hits home for me here. Jesus says, “And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

This life has nothing to do with the things that you own.

Unfortunately, thrifting makes it really easy to own more stuff and makes it easier to love it more too. Without even realizing it, our reason for thrifting becomes so that we can have more, for less- for ourselves and our own profit. I’m sad to say I’ve done it, over and over again. It’s just awful.
 
But my hope is that we can all thrift- and that we can do it for God’s glory.
 
That instead of being thrilled that we can proudly wear the very best brand for pennies, we can be thankful that the Lord provided us with clothing that will last so that we can afford to give more to others.
 
That because we didn’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to clothe our children, we can afford to take the clothing we thrifted and pass it along to other families in need for free.
 
That we can afford to buy a thrifted microwave for an elderly lady who doesn’t have an affordable way to cook her food this winter. Or a little dining table for that sweet young couple that has no furniture.
 
That we can resell the items we find so that we can give more generously to others in need, and not so that we can buy more for ourselves.
 
That we can thrift, providing needed household items and clothing for our children and others while being wise in our purchases, always working for the benefit of our family and our Father in Heaven, and not seeking for ourselves or our own glory.
 
He can do it, you guys. He can bring glory to Himself in our thrifting. I know He can!
 
Let’s pray that we can do all things for Him, and have faith that He will do His work in us. I am so, so excited to see what will happen when we give even our thrifting over to Him! May everything be for His glory! :D
 
_____________________________________
 
 
today is the last day to subscribe to {bh} by email to be entered into the girl's night in October giveaway!

your email address:

 
 
Want to find out why I'm blogging about thrifting for 31 days straight?
here you go! Check out the Nester’s site for more 31 dayers!

 

5 comments

mandyBH said...

Oh, thank you for reading! :D

mandyBH said...

Oh thank you for your sweet comments, and for reading along too! :D You are such an encouragement to me, Kelli! Thank you.

and it seems it's so easy for me to slip into thrifting for the wrong reasons- I just love the way Betty Duffy put it!

Frances said...

Congratulations on completing 31 Days! :) I've really enjoyed reading what you've had to say about one of my favorite things: thrifting!

Kelli@morebangforyourbucks said...

I have to say this is one of my favorite posts ever of yours! I, too, can get caught up in buying "stuff" just b/c it's cheap: in fact I wrote a post about it early on when I started my blog about "dollar store" deals.
I also love the article you referenced -"the multi-faceted fantasy life" -wow, that so applies to my house! Thanks again for the great reminder.
Love your blog so much!

Hisglorygirl said...

Really enjoyed your 31 day series. And will continue to hang out here :-) Have a great week!