Friday, October 07, 2011

day #7: task lamps & breaking the rules {31 days of thrifting}

Today’s thrifting find as seen in the living room reveal:

IMG_3940

I was going to feature just the task lamp, but then I realized I had at least two other thrifted things you could see in the picture, so I couldn’t resist labeling them for you too!

Anyway, I was thrilled when I found this oil-rubbed bronze task lamp for $7 at Goodwill! The shade’s welding was broken, which is the reason I imagine the original owner gave it away. I can set the shade on the lamp just right and it doesn’t move, so I haven’t even tried to repair it yet- that’s good enough for me!

It's very heavy and very high quality, so I was convinced it was from Pottery Barn until I found a picture of it exactly on Google images.

It looks like it’s from Robert Abbey:

lamp

And it’s *gasp* $306 right now! That’s even higher than PB prices! Wow.

I’m even more excited about it now!

thrifting tip #5:
when you find an item you really want, grab it as soon as you possibly can.

This probably breaks all the rules of frugality, but when it comes to thrifting you can’t afford to waste a minute. If you decide you don’t want it after all, you can always put it back. But if you walk away, chances are by the time you come back around to get it, it’ll be gone. Quick hands are the name of the game here!

Okay, so I have a little thrifting confession: I might be guilty of being a bit overzealous in the grabbing department…there was this one time I pretty much hovered over this little old Hispanic lady who was admiring a vintage pan I wanted.

They’d just rolled a new cart of items out from the back, and there were three other women standing around this one little cart with us, so I didn’t take my eyes off of her and I nearly grabbed the pan right out of her hand as she went to set it down!

{hey, I waited ‘til she was done with it, that’s what counts right?! ha!}

She looked up at me and smiled. She probably thought I was a little crazy for snatching up such a nasty looking $2 pan! {It was a Magnalite pan by the way- they are magical pans- they never burn or stick, and they’re extremely rare!} I wanted to get it for my dad.  And I did get it, by golly! :P

Ok, so now it’s your turn to ‘fess up! :D

Did you ever walk away from a good deal and regret it?

Or have you waited for someone to put something down so you could snatch it up? I know you die-hard thrifters out there know what I’m talking about! ;)

______________________
 
 
Want to find out why I'm blogging about thrifting for 31 days straight?

Wanna join in the fun?
I would love to feature a few of your very best finds as well {you don’t even have to be a blogger!} so email me at mandy at biblicalhomemaking dot com and submit your photo with a few details! That way we can all share in the thrifty goodness! {be warned- it’s slightly addicting! :P}
 
Don’t forget to check back at the Nester's place for lots of other 31 day blogging topics!
 
Grab a button!
Just copy and paste the code below into your sidebar or post's html!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...