Tuesday, November 08, 2011

busy boxes for traveling with little ones

We’ve been traveling a bunch in the last few months and with four kids eight and under in one car for hours at a time, these busy boxes have seriously been lifesavers!

IMG_5323

I bought these colored school boxes on clearance at Walmart for $1.50 each. I think their original price was around $4. Having to buy four of anything makes you really consider the price, so I was so glad to find them on sale! The kids use them as their desks while they are in the car.

Here’s what they looked like on the inside:

IMG_5324-1

I found the mini Color Wonder kits on clearance at Walmart for $1 each, the colored pencils were $1 as well {ever since we had a crayon melt into the carpet on the van’s heater floor vent, we’ve outlawed crayons in the car!}, the Hot Wheels cars for $1 were a huge hit, and the spiral notebooks were from our homeschool closet; we had stocked up on them during the summer school supplies sales for $.10 each.

The stickers were left over from the wedding shower last month, and I printed out a state map so that the kids could color and follow along on our journey. We haven’t done a bit of geography in homeschooling yet- so it was pretty funny when they tried to guess the other states and got them all wrong. They did get Texas right though! {phew!}

Total cost of each box: $4.60

$4.60 per child for more than 8 hours of traveling in peace = totally worth it!

I think the busy boxes would be great to have for long holiday trips with little ones too. You could even add holiday projects like making Christmas cards for loved ones, or doing coloring history lessons for Thanksgiving and then add some inexpensive stocking stuffers in as a surprise, or even little snacks if you let your kiddos eat in the car.

In my book, anything that makes long trips with little ones easier is…

{insert Martha Stewart voice here}…a very good thing. :)

 

:: enter to win the november glam package from {bh} ::

13 comments:

Michelle Wimp said...

luv these!! i'm so going to try and find one of these, we have an 8-9 hr trip coming up for Thanksgiving and he gets tired of the usual, watching tv, coloring books (we outlawed crayons too after i sat on the hot, squishy one). don't luv those color wonder markers??

Barb said...

What a great idea - and a bargain. I would have loved those as a kid!

Lee Anne said...

That's a marvelous idea! I love it! Something to keep in mind when I have children of my own. I'm a single working girl now, but oddly enough I love to read about domestic life and homemaking. <3 Right now I'm only blogging about modest clothing, but I love reading blogs like yours.

LeeAnne, Style N Season
http://stylenseason.blogspot.com

Mary said...

great idea! :)

Gabby said...

Love the travel desk idea. We recently took a 13hr trip from Nashville (home) to TX (home country) :) and I used cookie sheets as "desks" for toys. It worked great, though I love the storage element to your boxes. Excellent idea -- thanks for sharing

mandyBH said...

oh, the cookie sheet idea is great too! I like a tray they can hold their pencils on too! We are traveling the same trip! it's very long! I love meeting fellow Texans! :D Which part are you in? We are in East Tx!

mandyBH said...

oh thanks for stopping in and reading! I can't wait to check out your blog!

mandyBH said...

I think I would've too! I was trying to remember what I used to do on long trips- I think I read books when I was older. Now that I'm old I can't read in the car anymore- go figure! :)

mandyBH said...

oh, you know the pain of melted crayons then! lol! I love the color wonders! My kids even use them on regular paper (don't ask me why, but they like clear!) lol!

Michelle Wimp said...

cor calls it spy color. i asked him how are u supposed to know what it says, his answer was quite simple, "momma if you are a spy u will know." don't u just luv their imaginations!?

Lisa Suit said...

I know this is an old post, but what an awesome idea! My stepchildren (ages almost 8 and 5) live three hours away, and it is a long trip for all of the kiddos, especially our two and a half year old being in the van for six hours. I may have to surprise everyone with these next month!

Lee Anne said...

That's a marvelous idea! I love it! Something to keep in mind when I have children of my own. I'm a single working girl now, but oddly enough I love to read about domestic life and homemaking. <3 Right now I'm only blogging about modest clothing, but I love reading blogs like yours.

LeeAnne, Style N Season
http://stylenseason.blogspot.com

becca o said...

I do the same thing we use those big storage clipboards. The little ones kept dropping all their colored pencils we put those in those nylon pencil pouches for binder and put them on a long lanyard around the seat in front of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...