Friday, November 18, 2011

finding guests for your feast {food on friday}

image via Pinterest/ awelltraveledwoman.tumblr.com
It's hard to believe Thanksgiving is less than one week away! Doesn't it seem like it was just summer when we were all sweating like crazy? I must be getting old, because it seems like Christmas was only four months ago. Seriously, where does the time go?? It's unbelievable.

Anyway, I issued this challenge to you guys a few weeks ago:
Open your hands to the poor, your home to the needy. Be the hands of Jesus to them as you welcome them into your home this year.
Show them- show them the love of Jesus firsthand by loving them and welcoming them into your life. Money doesn't change people's lives. Free food doesn't change people's lives. Jesus does. And He wants to do it through us.
Invite someone you wouldn't normally invite to your feast this year. 
Share your feast with someone who doesn't have a loving and living home. 
And today I wanted to share a few ideas on how to make that challenge happen! :D

Okay, so maybe you've decided to share your feast with others this season, but where do you find the new guests? 

Here are a few ideas:

1. Ask your neighbors.
Maybe you know a sweet elderly couple that's alone, or a family that just got transferred to your city. Someone that lives in your neighborhood that doesn't have family nearby might love to come to your house and eat a meal with you!

2. Ask your church leaders.
Your church elder or pastor might know someone lonely or in need to whom you could offer a warm home and meal. They are awesome shepherds of the flock, and their eyes may be open to someone you might have never thought of inviting.

3. Put the word out among your friends. 
Your close friends might know someone who doesn't have a place to go this year. Do you have a friend that volunteers at a shelter or with a food bank, or other type of ministry? They might be the perfect person to ask!

4. Keep your eyes and ears open.
You might see a potential guest at the grocery store, or walking down the street pushing a shopping cart. Once you really start looking, your eyes start to open to all kinds of people that would love to eat a warm dinner with a family. 

If you feel the Holy Spirit nudging you to ask someone {you will know it's Him because you probably won't want to ask that person}- just do it, don't hesitate. If you hesitate, or take time to think it through, you will probably talk yourself out of it. {I know from experience!}

It's worked that way for me so, so many times. I hear it deep in my soul,"go do this" and my mind will almost always protest immediately, but I know it's God speaking straight to me, so I know I can't think about it anymore, I just have to go do it. I also know that when I disobey his Spirit, I feel the conviction that comes with it, but when I obey, I can feel Him at work in it. Does that make sense? It's really hard to explain, but you know when He wants you to do something. Your sin nature almost always immediately rebels, but you feel great joy when you actually do it.

5. Pray for God's will to be accomplished.
Ask God to bless your attempt to share your feast, and that your heart will be in line with His will. He is so, so awesome- He will do it! And you know, if you invite others and no one comes, it might be that it's for His purpose, which we have no ability to see.

Ask Him to give you the heart to love others like He wants you to do- no matter if it's sharing your feast, or helping others in some other way. There's not just one right way to love on other people- so ask Him to show you how you can best love and share Him this season!

I just can't say it enough- I am so thrilled to see what He can do when we open our hearts and give Him reign over everything in our lives. Oh, He is such a wonderful, loving Savior! Let's make Him our focus during the holidays!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...