Friday, November 11, 2011

hiking for exercise :: finding your exercising sweet spot

This is part 5 of our {fitness on friday} series on finding your exercising “sweet spot.” Check out part 1, part 2, part 3, and part 4 if you are just joining in!

IMG_5671Today we’re talking again about getting exercise in the great outdoors! Last time we talked about walking and running- both of which are great ways to get your calorie burn on outside of the four walls of your home.

Another way I love to enjoy God’s creation while burning calories is to hike! I love running trails, and I also enjoy slower hiking with the family too. I love to hike climbing mountain trails- I get a great cardio workout and I always love to see a great view at the trail summit!

We live in Texas so we don’t have too many mountains around here, but we like to hike on vacations and at local state parks while we are at home. We don’t get to go as often as we’d like to- I’m hoping as the kids grow older we will be able to make it more and more of a priority since they love it too.

IMG_5745one of my favorite pictures from our Smoky Mountain trip!

Last year we hiked when the kids were 7, 5, 3, and 13 months a couple of miles up to a waterfall and cave, and the kids soaked up every minute of it! And we got an even better workout than we’d hoped for, carrying a three-year-old and a baby up the trail. :)

If you are lucky enough to get to live near hiking trails, you should definitely take advantage of them! Hiking burns between 300-400 calories per hour, and it’s a great leg workout too!

Maybe hiking just might be your exercising “sweet spot.” I think it would be mine if I lived a little closer to the mountains!

Here are a few hiking pictures we took on our vacation to Tennessee. Maybe you can enjoy a little hike through the Smoky Mountains too, just sitting right where you are now! ;)

IMG_5829

IMG_5784

IMG_5799

IMG_5804

IMG_5812

IMG_5824

IMG_5830

I loved it! So much beauty there!

You just can’t go wrong exercising outdoors. Oh, I love inhaling that fresh air. God is so good to let us enjoy His creation!

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Beautiful! The mountains are so beautiful, especially this time of year! I have got to get back into a walking routine, and fall is the perfect time to start again. Jackie

Kelli@eatpray{read}love said...

Definitely want to be in the mountains after this post!
Love the pictures.

Jen said...

Beautiful pictures - I love the Appalachians!

I try to hike almost every day in my back yard. We have about 5 acres in the Ozark mts & my dh has made many trails through our little patch of heaven. My goal is an hour hike 6 days a week & I do it most days from fall through spring. Summer time - I head to the indoor track away from the heat, ticks & mosquitoes.

Melanie Dorsey said...

'Looks like the Brushy Mountain Trail that we hiked in October.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...