December 9, 2011

share your feast :: a reader’s story

It's time to talk a little food on Friday! What do you say? :)

The holidays are in full swing, and I have to admit, I've still got this little challenge on my mind:

Even though Thanksgiving is over, we still have plenty of time to share our feasts with others! Can I say, I've loved hearing about your feast sharing! Oh, it's so exciting to see you guys opening up your homes to those who don't have a place! God is so good!!!

Last week I got this note from a sweet reader, Maria, and I asked her if I could share it with you all here. I'm so, so excited about this, and I think you will be too! God is working- all the time!

Hi Mandy!

I am a new reader...couple weeks or so....to your blog and so enjoy your updates. My husband and I work on staff with a young church in the heart of Baltimore city where our congregation is almost entirely composed of 20 somethings. Anyway, a few of us who were staying in the area and wouldn't be visiting family decided to share Thanksgiving together. I had just seen your Share Your Feast post a few days before and so wanted to make a point of doing that sometime this season.

In God's so beautiful way, He brought the perfect candidate across our paths 2 Sundays ago. Andre is 44, homeless, and very kind. He visited our church and quickly made friends among some of our members (including my husband). When he called out of the blue just to say hello and that he was praying for my husband, I realized he needed to share our feast with us. John and I talked about it later in the day and he called Andre back and set it up.

We picked him at the shelter where he's been living (his spot guaranteed each night due to a serious infection he was recovering from) and crammed in our other riders (3 college students from our church) with me in the back. During dinner he shared his story with us and we just listened as this gentle man talked of being homeless half his life, imprisoned much of that time, and on drugs of some kind since he was 17. Through it all God has continually been redeeming his brokenness and making him new and he can pinpoint moments where he realized so clearly how God intervened in his life and worked things out for his good. He is eager to get his life back on track and eager to see God bring total healing but his fight is going to be SO very hard.

All that said, we around the table who had never been homeless, never been high, and never been imprisoned sat basking in the glory of a mighty God who loves the least of these and teaches us to do the same. Such a needed reminder that He is good and loving and KNOWS the details of our lives and provides for the things we need. In a city where there is so much need and loneliness and darkness, it was such a blessing to witness God at work - in our own hearts and in Andre's.

He was back at church Sunday and I am hopeful that the relationships we're building with him will be a part of his recovery and rehabilitation. Thank you so much for the wonderful idea! I hope we'll be able to do something like this again soon. Being a church full of young adults we get together and "feast" a lot so I feel like there will be plenty of opportunity! :)

___________________________________________

AHHHH!!! Are you as in awe of God as I am right now? What an amazing God we serve- He orchestrates every part of our lives and such cool things happen when we do what He asks! I just have chill bumps at how the Holy Spirit works! Wow!

Thank you so much for sharing, Maria! What an encouraging testimony for us!

Okay, so how about you- are you ready to share your feast? Our Father can make it happen! :D

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing her story....so incredible how God goes to great lengths to reach us

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) let us be sensitive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. don't dare put limitations on what that prompting might be! and then ACT on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! We had a blessed time with a lonely man going through a divorce from our church. He wants so badly to reconcile with his wife and we are praying that God will knit their hearts together in love again! He was SO grateful to have somewhere to go on Thanksgiving. He thanked us so many times, but it really wasn't anything for us to do. God is just so good! :D

    ReplyDelete

Oh, thank you so much for leaving a comment! I read every single one, and try to respond if I can! Thank you for being a part of the {bh} community!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...