Friday, December 16, 2011

sweet christmas treats {food on friday}

I cannot believe we only have a few days until Christmas! It really feels like we just got done with the hottest summer in Texas!

Our vintage market ended two weeks ago, so I’m finally getting to slow down a little! It’s been wonderful to take a breath and enjoy the kids and doing crafts and I’ve even started crocheting again {I started with a loom and somehow it went very, very wrong…so back to crocheting it was for me!}. I intended to make a blanket before Christmas, but I think it will be a potholder instead. Ahem.

We put up the Christmas tree the last weekend in November to get ready for the sale. I let the kids decorate it this year- we turned on the Christmas music and ate caramel popcorn while we set it all up in the living room. 

IMG_6439-1

IMG_6443

They loved every minute of it {okay, mommy did too!}, and I thought they did a great job! The ornaments were a *little* heavy on the bottom, about the three foot mark ;), but I thought it was kind of cute so I didn’t move too many of them! My littlest ones love to crawl under the tree to sit on the heater vents. It gets bumped and knocked into frequently, so ever since I’ve had my first toddler, I’ve learned to love a less than perfect tree. :)

IMG_6837

We’ve been making some yummy treats together too. I made this sugar cookie recipe this week and it turned out perfectly, even with my egg-beaters substitution!

I gave each of them a hunk of dough and let them go after it. We normally use cookie cutters, but this time they had fun making their own shapes with the dough. And I let them pour on sprinkles too {thankfully they were the just cheap dollar store sprinkles!}. They had a blast! They’ve been trying to hand out the three dozen of them to friends and neighbors walking down the street.  :)

IMG_6807

And the minute I saw this recipe for homemade Nestle Crunch bars I knew I had to make them!

I tried twice- and mine never turned out like Lynn’s- but I think it might have had something to do with the fact that I only had semi-sweet chocolate. I followed the microwave recipe, then tried to make them on the stove, and they just never looked as pretty as hers did. It really didn’t matter though, because they tasted ridiculously good. I consider it mostly a success! :P

IMG_6808IMG_6812IMG_6816IMG_6823

I really love to bake. And with all the parties and dinners this time of year, I get to do a lot of it! It’s worth an extra workout or two, that’s for sure! It’s such a treat!

I’ve really enjoyed being in the kitchen with the kids, reading by our little flaming heater stove, doing crafts, and taking a deep breath now and then. This week has been one of those that is good for a momma’s heart. It’s been very sweet. :)

I hope you have a chance to breathe and enjoy your weekend as well, my friends!

Oh, and I’m linking up today with Abbie’s tree party and The Lovely Cupboard’s holiday recipe party! So much fun to fellowship and meet other bloggers! You should check them out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...