Thursday, December 15, 2011

thrifty on thursday :: quick and easy lunch pizzas

I’m so, so thankful for you guys and your sweet and encouraging comments on Tuesday’s post! I can’t tell you how blessed I feel to have the community of sisters in Christ that we do here on the web! I am just so blown away by the Holy Spirit working in our hearts, giving the unity and love and encouragement that He does to His people. Ahhh!! :D I wish I could hug all of your necks! I love you guys!! It’s just so, so, cool. :D

My general idea for Thursdays here is to blog about something thrifty- usually it will be about thrifting itself or a great deal I found, something that helps us to be thrifty with our money and time here at our house, or something crazy I’ve found on the web that I think you guys will love too! Sound okay? :)

Today’s topic: our version of kid’s deli pizza!
my idea of quick lunchtime pizzas….if I had a live-in chef anyway…
via pinterest

I think the thing that surprised me the most about having little ones was how much they eat! They are 8, 6, 4, and 2 and they can pretty much all outdo me in the eating department! I can make them so.much.food and they are still hungry. When we eat cereal for breakfast, the kids alone can easily go through a box every two days {and they aren’t even the fun kid cereals!}.

And then pizza! Even at the Walmart price of $5-6, I couldn’t afford to buy them frozen pizza if I wanted to- they’d need about three of them to get full! Homemade is our favorite pizza and the most filling by far, but that’s usually reserved for special dinners or family nights, so pizza for lunch is pretty rare at our house.

I needed to make a quick lunch for the kids the other day {they were hungry –again- go figure!}. I had hot dog buns at the end of their lifespan, so I pulled them out, along with my pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. {by the way, Contadina is the best store-bought pizza sauce I’ve ever tried! It’s very good!}.

I squeezed the pizza sauce on the buns, topped them with cheese, and that was it. So easy.


I set the oven to 450 to let them bake for a few minutes, and ended up with deli-style kids pizzas {you know- the ones that cost $4 that come with a small pouch of cookies? Yes, we’ve bought those too. And it was painful! :P}. The cost: around $1.25 for 5 pizzas.


The kids loved the “homemade” version, and what do you know- they were full at the end of lunch! I saved lots of money by not buying frozen pizzas, and hey, they were much easier to make than seven sandwiches! :D

What do you like to do for quick lunches for the kids? I’d love to hear your ideas!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...