the $10 business: the first investment {#1}

IMG_8105

The $10 business is a financial experiment I’m doing based on Matthew 25. My goal is to see how much $10 can become in 2 years! You can read more about it along with the “rules” here.

My very first investment in the $10 business was this sweet little vintage vanity I bought at Goodwill for $5.40:

IMG_6573

We brought it home, put the handles back on it, listed it online as it was, and sold it for $30!

$10 initial investment – $5.40 vanity + $30.00 sale = $34.60 net {I will summarize all applicable sales/income taxes at the end of the year as a single total- so these numbers will always be pre-tax for the sake of simplicity.}

So my initial $10 more than tripled with my very first transaction! :D I was thrilled with the return! It might only be $24 in profit, but I’ll take it. :)

So far, so good! I can’t wait to see what will happen in the next few weeks!

next week: the second investment of the $10 business!

21 comments

feedingthisfamily said...

Awesome first investment! Twenty dollars times 52 weeks, what's that like over $1,000. All off $10. Very encouraging. Also, this is my first time commenting, but have been reading for Pa while and thought I'd take the time to say I think you're gorgeous and you do curly hair it's justice, as a fellow curly haired woman, it takes work to get our curls to work, lol. Just found out you live in a neighboring city so that was pretty awesome and also...I'm VERY jealous of yall's house!

naycauthen said...

Wow that is an impressive return right off the bat!! Good for you!

Heidi said...

Awesome! And you didn't even have to paint it!

mandyBH said...

Thank you Michelle!!

mandyBH said...

Oh how cool!! Keep me posted if you do! I would love to hear about it! The vanity was hard to give up for sure! :)

mandyBH said...

Yay!! :D I'm so excited too!

mandyBH said...

Yay! Good luck finding treasure! It will happen, I know it! :D

Wendy Gilbert Robinson said...

I love this!!! I think I may but it to the test myself!! Great blog glad I found you!!

Anna Nichols said...

I love this! Can't wait to read about your investment more :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Erica Frisk said...

This is awesome. It's very inspiring.

Mary said...

this is awesome! :D

Michelle Wimp said...

that is awesome mandie! i must find the GW you shop at because mine has NOTHING that good for that kinda price!

Vincent & Lydia Beiler said...

I've heard of this concept and love it! I'm anxious to see how much you can make with it.

Kassy said...

Awesome!

Kenedi - Real food Whole Life said...

What a fantastic idea! Can't wait to hear more!

Heather said...

Wow! That is AWESOME! Last time I was at our Good Will they didn't have anything good at all. I might have to give it another try. Inspiration!

Kristal said...

I want to shop at your Goodwill. I never find stuff like that. I really need to more school desk for my kiddos and goodwill has had none.

Great job! Looking forward to seeing this project as it goes along!

MrsKovacs said...

i really love this idea! i told my husband about it when i read the initial post on the business...we may have to try it. we run our own small Ebay resell business and this would be a fun project. (i would have had a hard time parting w/ the vanity tho! what a find!)

Jessica Pattenaude said...

I have kinda started this myself. I am interested to see where it goes?
http://thefaithfilledhome.blogspot.com/2012/02/thrifting-can-be-profitable.html

Crystal woolever said...

I'm so glad I found your blog I LOVE it!!! And I love this idea. I just started a blog and I think I would love to try this experiment. I cant wait to see how this pans out. Great idea :)

Jo @ To a Pretty Life said...

I am eagerly awaiting these posts about your $10 business. It's pretty exciting!