Tuesday, January 24, 2012

on words and heart thoughts + a free 8x10 scripture art print

For the last few years, Psalm 19:14 has been one of my very favorite verses. I memorized it back when my babies were little bitty, and it’s been one of those verses that keeps replaying itself in my head all the time:

psalm19-14biblicalhomemaking

How I long for this to happen in me! But I know my flesh and my heart will fail without Him doing the work in me. I know how vile my thoughts can be- and how my heart dwells so much on the cares of this earth.

I’ve always made the assumption with this verse that whatever I happened to be thinking or saying needed to become more acceptable in His sight. Like my thoughts and speech- about the children, or my husband, or whatever I was doing- should become nicer, or more pleasing to Him. I wanted to fulfill the law of having the right words and heart, and knew I needed Jesus to help me, but I didn’t fully understand what that really meant.

I think I had it right- but only half of it. I should desire that my mouth and heart should become more and more pleasing to Him, but I didn’t really know what my mouth should say and my heart should dwell on specifically until I read this in Romans 10:

5For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them. 6 But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 or “‘Who will descend into the abyss?’” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).

 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

11For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

I was blown away by those verses! First, because Jesus came- because He is Lord- my righteousness or His pleasure in me is not based on how I act or what I do or don’t. My righteousness doesn’t come from my behavior- it comes from faith in Jesus! His grace alone is sufficient!

And then I was even more taken by verse 8- here the cry for help that was given in Psalm 19:14 is answered by none other than JESUS Himself!!

What should be spoken by the words of my mouth?

The confession that Jesus is Lord.

What should my heart meditate on?

The resurrection of Jesus Christ {in all it’s power and glory!!}.

But why, what happens when I confess with my mouth and believe in my heart?

Justification in the sight of God and salvation is given- and the WORD {of faith} is near you because of those two actions!

What’s the word?

The WORD- the giver of faith, God, is near those who believe! In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1.

The mouth and heart of those who believe should openly confess Jesus is Lord, and their hearts should meditate on the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead- the work that was done on the cross, and the grace that was bestowed upon us when our Lord and Savior conquered death and sin!! ahhhhhhhhh!! :DDDD

We don’t need to change ourselves-our own thoughts or words- we can’t do it anyway! When we look to Christ- and remember the cross and the empty tomb- HE does the work!!

Are you feeling someone has done you an injustice and out comes the words of anger? Meditate on what Jesus did- he bore the highest injustice on the cross, and nothing that is done to you can even come close to what he forgave of you. When you think about that, angry words will quickly change to ones of grace- because of the work He is doing in your heart!

Do you like to talk? How often do your words confess Jesus is Lord? Do you speak of Him at all?  How often do you think on what Jesus has done for you? Could you meditate on Him in your “me” time? When I’m busy, it becomes so easy for me to section off my thoughts into what needs to be done next, and have another section of Jesus time- but when I really meditate on Him, He changes my daily attitude and my words!

Do you see what I mean? Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks {Matthew 12:34}, and when Jesus fills your meditation of the heart, the overflow comes right out of your mouth, and Jesus pours out.

Now if you are like me, you see how miserably you’ve failed at meditating on Jesus and know you need to try harder.

My sweet friends, you cannot do this without Him.

Don’t fall in to the trap of thinking you can be better {more righteous!} at being like Jesus {one Satan would love you to try and fail at again and again!}.

Just ask Him, and He will do it for you. Because He did it all in the first place.

Doesn’t that make you want to jump out of your seat and dance?? It’s hard to wipe the grin off your face when you think about it!!

:DDDD {If only I had more than smiley faces!!!}

Isn’t He so good?

To visually remind us of Jesus and the cross every day, I made a print of Psalm 19:14 to share with you guys! I have mine on my fridge since I spend most of my time in the kitchen! It’s an 8x10 in size so if you wanted to protect it from water you can find a $1 frame at the dollar store.

Feel free to download and pass it along! Love you guys!! :)

psalm19-14biblicalhomemaking

download this 8x10 print

 

listen to more on words and hearts in the 10 minute audio devotion

linking up at Women Living Well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...