taco soup :: recipe + pics {food on friday}

Ok, so ever since Christmas I’ve been waiting to share this recipe with you guys!

It’s special to me because my sweet friend Alissa {love her! she’s so creative- she would write an awesome blog!} brought it to us after I had my 4th baby and passed the recipe along to me. Every time I make it, I think of her {and newborn babies!}! :)

It’s my favorite soup, hands down- it’s delicious, low-fat, and it’s so easy to make double or triple batches. I made some this week for the freezer that I hope to be able share with my friends in the next few weeks. {thank you for your sweet, sweet comments and prayers! You guys are the best. I mean it.}

Here’s what you’ll need:

IMG_7577

If you want to make a 4x batch, you can use bulk cans from Sam’s like I did! Otherwise, you’ll only need two regular cans of each.}

You’ll also need one can of Rotel per batch. Rotel never ceases to astound me in price- for almost $1 you get about 1/2 of can of a tiny can of tomatoes and green chiles. I can’t take it, so I’ll just buy a can of green chiles if I’m tripling or doubling a batch and add them to taste.  I added this 4 oz. can to the 4x batch and it wasn’t spicy in the least- my heat-fearing 8 year old loved it! I’m laughing as I write this, because it’s kind of a ghetto way to give you a recipe shortcut, but I can’t help it. I’m too cheap!

IMG_7593or

 

 

 

 

 

Brown 2 lbs. of ground turkey {or beef}. I’ve noticed you can cut back significantly on the meat without noticing a difference in taste. If you are on a tight budget, go for 1 lb. and see if you like it! In my quad batch, I used 5 lbs. of meat instead of 8, and it was still perfect.

IMG_7587Notice anything strange about this pic? yes, that’s the reflection of my right hand over there in the lid. Ava loves to cook {and eat!}! I think she was asking me if she could have some uncooked turkey at the time!

Add the appropriate amount of taco seasoning per pound. If you want to make this at home, you can save lots of money! Here’s a yummy recipe for homemade taco seasoning mix.

Add your veggies, juice and all, and stir in your ranch dressing mix.

Here’s another homemade ranch mix version that sounds good but I haven’t tried yet. Apparently, I like to skip buying pricey Rotel but I have no problem buying powdered mix! heehee! For real though, it tastes so good in this. I’d like to try to make the homemade version someday, but it was nice to have the mix on hand this time.

IMG_7590

My pot wouldn’t hold that much taco soup so I had to use an extra container to hold the 4th batch! This recipe is hearty.

Simmer it up for 20-30 minutes, and serve! We added cheese, tortilla chips, and sour cream. Very good! {If you’re on a diet, skip the extras!}

IMG_7596

Here’s what I made from the pictures above! Pretty sweet, for less than 30 minutes of effort!

IMG_7599

I didn’t buy any of these ingredients on sale, so at regular store price each batch cost about $6. Our family can’t eat a whole batch yet, so it stretches for *almost* 2 meals. This is a recipe you could really cut corners on for sure by making your own pinto beans, reducing the meat portion and buying it and veggies on sale, making your own seasonings- there are so many ways to cut costs here if you have the time.

here’s the single batch recipe:

2 lbs ground turkey
1 package taco seasoning
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans whole kernel corn
2 cans whole stewed tomatoes
1 can rotel
1 large or 2 small packets of buttermilk ranch dressing mix

Brown your meat, then add the taco seasoning
following packet directions.  Add the remainder of ingredients, undrained, to your large
pot and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. Garnish with tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream if desired.

Easy, yummy soup and easy to freeze too! I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do! And thank you, Alissa, for introducing it to our family! :D

linking up at the 5d5w free for all! and feasting in fellowship!

13 comments

TamiA said...

I love this soup. Have almost the same recipe. I'm making it tomorrow for us to eat while watching playoff games! (I'm not a big NFL fan until playoffs. Then I like to see the teams duke it out.)

Anonymous said...

To freeze the soup what would you store it in? Do you think its safe to throw it in the slowcooker for a couple hours to reheat it?

Abbie (Five days... 5 ways) said...

This looks suuuper yummy! You must be a very talented woman to be able to do the math necessary to quadruple the portions. I'm soooo very impressed!

Tee hee hee!

Okay, enough goofiness (although I wasn't kidding about the yummy part...taco soup is my fave!)

Thanks for linking up, friend! : )

Michelle Slomp said...

I'm trying this one soon. It looks so yummy.

mandyBH said...

Ok, now I might just try it with sausage! The hog would be a first for me- but I bet you're a great cook and it would taste good with hog too!! I can't wait to see yours! :D

mandyBH said...

Oh, let me know how it goes! I want to know what you think about it! :D

mandyBH said...

I am completely intrigued! Now I have to try yours too!! Like you, I don't like the smell of beer, but then the beer bread it makes is yum!! I can't wait to try your recipe for soup! Thanks for sharing!!

Mama-to-six-below-ten said...

Mind if I share our version similar to this? Replace 1 can green beans for 1 of the corns (drain and rinse both), replace 1 can black beans for one of the pintos (drain and rinse these also). Now you're freaking out about where to get the liquid from, right? Well...beer. Hate to say it, but it's a whole other level of awesome. Can't stand the stuff (I've only smelled it - never drank it) so i hold my nose as I pour in 1 can per batch. And it's super cheap beer at that. After simmering for 30-45 minutes all the alcohol and nasty smell has evaporated. I've made with and w/o. Something about the beer just wakes up the flavors so much more. The greenbeans and black beans add such a lovely color, too! Everything else is the same as your recipe. Thanks for posting this today...haven't made it in a while and you've inspired me! :)

mandyBH said...

bahhaha, quadrupling the portion was far easier than actually opening the huge cans! Thanks for hosting! It went very well!!

thekindlecrew said...

oh funny....my next recipe post is going to be taco soup. We had ours for dinner yesterday! Our recipe is a little different but it's super yummy. We normally make with beef but our freezer is full of wild hog (gross to some...free for me!!) so I wouldn't pay for beef. I made it with sausage and oh my....my whole family loved it even more than with beef. Thanks for sharing. I'll share my soon!

Julie Wilson said...

I love our taco soup recipe!! I do mine in the crockpot! I am looking forward to trying out the homemade Ranch mix! I already use a home made taco mix!!

Gabriele Ibarra said...

This is the exact recipe we use!! My boys (3) and hubby love it. We actually have made this tortilla soup-that's what we call it-our Christmas Eve dinner tradition. We add homemade guacamole, cheese, and sour cream, ooh and sometimes some homemade salsa!

Jess said...

Made this tonight and we all loved it. My 3 year old daughter even said how good it was and had 2 servings! I can't have dairy while I'm nursing because baby is intolerant but it was really good with crushed tortilla chips. Yum!