thrifty thursday :: creative & frugal gift ideas

Ready for some thriftiness?

I’m so excited about these creative, frugal gifts I’m sharing with you today!

The coolest thing? They were not gifts I gave, but gifts I received this Christmas! I thought they were so fantastic. and even better- they can be given year-round.

My sweet sister-in-law, Cayse, gave me this beautiful book box:

IMG_7581

I was really excited about the box, but I was thrilled when I opened it and found this:

IMG_7582

She made me a box full of Scriptures she thought I would love, and wrote them all by hand y’all! I couldn’t imagine a more meaningful, lovely gift! It is so special to me!

I just love her. My brother did a very, very wonderful thing marrying her, didn’t he?

IMG_7132_thumb[4]

And my husband held up his reputation for crazy fun gifts this year too.

Just one example of his past gifts: for my 26th birthday, he gave me a tin of York peppermints:

ring

Inside it I found this:

ring1

It was a ring he’d made for me by hammering a 1944 quarter for hours and hours.  :) Inside the ring you can still read, “Liberty, Quarter Dollar, United States of America, 1944.”

He’s such an awesome man. I did good too, didn’t I? :D

So anyway, after all the presents had been opened on Christmas Day, he brought me this box:

IMG_7164

I honestly had no idea what it could be. I didn’t ask for anything in particular, and he’d already given me lots of things, so I was really thrown for a loop when he handed me this one. I cautiously opened the edge of the box, took a peek inside, and was a little freaked out to see an old towel! I don’t know why, but thoughts of live creepy animals came to mind!

I decided to go all the way and opened it to find this aluminum foil contraption:

IMG_7165

It took me a few seconds to figure out what it was, but I couldn’t stop laughing when I did!

IMG_7166_thumb

It was a homemade ice-sculptured heart with a shopping card inside!

Ah, I love him.

The man knows how to melt a girl’s heart.

hee hee.

And I can’t forget another frugal gift that was another one of my favorites!

My bestie Abbie and I always exchange Christmas gifts every year, and this year one of the gifts she gave me was this new in the box Pottery Barn charging station! I think my jaw actually dropped when I opened it! I love PB, and I know how much these things cost.

IMG_7578

So I couldn’t stop oohing and aahing, and because we’re so much alike, she knew I would be as much, if not more excited by knowing how much she paid for it! :D

Yeah, you wanna know too right?

$5. At the Pottery Barn outlet!

Now that’s a seriously awesome find, even for thrifters like us!

I have the most amazing family and friends, don’t I? :D

They knew just how to bless me with gifts that were thoughtful, creative and frugal this year!

What thrifty things have you been up to? Wanna share? Leave me a comment with your link and I’ll add your thrifty posts here!

Kristin’s adorable recycled winter baby dress:

13 comments

Abbie (Five days... 5 ways) said...

Okay, so yes, the charging station WAS super-thrifty, but if I were truly enterprising like you, it would have occurred to me to buy them ALL and then resell them on ebay. Doh! Brilliant idea! (4 months too late). Glad you like it so much! : )

Kristy said...

LOVE this post! I made lots of gifts this year...yarn wreaths that can double as picture displays for each grandma-a little laborious, but made with love! And...my husband knows that I LOVE homemade, thoughtful gifts. Last year, he did a very similar thing that your SIL did. However, he cut out cute scrapbook paper and made about 30 little cards and hand wrote scripture for me to read daily as encouragement.He even used little letter stickers to put my name on the inside of the box. (I didn't even know that he knew what scrapbook paper was!) HA! What a treasure each verse is to me.

I need to go hunting for some thrifty finds!!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Seriously, I love reading your blog and seeing your home. Thanks for letting us in on a little piece of you life!

thekindlecrew said...

i love these ideas and I adore the picture of you laughing!

Bethany Brittenham said...

You are gorgeous! Glad I stumbled upon your blog today! Excited to read more!

Amber said...

Your husband is such a thoughtful gift giver! LOVE it!

Hattie@godlovehim said...

Those are all awesome gifts. Love the one you got from your sister in-law! I'm going to definitely do this!

Kristin said...

I've been a big Goodwill shopper as of late and I've gotten my kids into it, too. They love to spot a deal with me. My little girl (7) was hooked after she scored a pink Christmas tree for her bedroom for $3. :-)

Free is even better, though. My other little girl (16 months) has a lovely hand-me-down dress that I just can't let go of. It has become a bit of an obsession now to see how long I can make it last. http://from-my-life.blogspot.com/2012/01/winter-dress.html

Donna McBroom-Theriot said...

Can't figure out how I found your blog but I'm loving it. I'm a new follower and hope you will a moment to visit and follow back. Now - off to read some more! Donna

http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

mandyBH said...

Oh, wow!! your hubs is a sweet one too! We are so blessed, aren't we? :D Thank you so much for reading along with me Kristy! You are such an encouragement to me! I love blogging because I get meet and be friends with sweet people like you! :D

mandyBH said...

I love me some GW for sure! and free is amazing!! i LOVE her dress!! too cute! what a fun obsession!!

mandyBH said...

Oh, thank you Bethany!! You are so sweet! I'm so glad you are here! :D

mandyBH said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you could use it! :D

mandyBH said...

Definitely will! I'm so glad you are here Donna! it's so nice to "meet" you!! :D