Friday, February 03, 2012

sun-dried tomato basil turkey quesadillas

I’m about to confess what is pretty much equal to a crime in Texas:

I am not a fan of quesadillas.

Phew. The secret’s out. I feel better now!

Cheese isn’t my favorite food ever, and while I love tortillas, the combo just never appealed to me.

I live in East Texas, where we have as many Mexican food restaurants as churches these days, {does that mean we love Mexican food as much as church? eek.}, so not liking cheese is kind of a problem when your choices are either Mexican or Tex-Mex. Luckily I do like any Mexican food not covered in cheese...which means I have two options to choose from: fajitas or salad. :D

So anyway, my kids love quesadillas, and I make them for them because they are so easy to put together. I’ve gotten brave enough to branch out a little when I do make them, and the other day I created a quesadilla I loved too! woot!

Here’s my kind of quesadilla: one with sun-dried tomato, basil, cream cheese, turkey, and a little cheddar:

quesadillas

They were amazing! I was really excited because they were so, so easy! :D The hubs loved them too, and kept telling me how good they were! Of course, this is from people who previously didn’t love quesadillas. ;) So quesadilla lovers, please try this and let us know if they pass the test!

Here’s this recipe’s secret weapon:

This stuff is amazing. I don’t normally eat store-bought dips or buy anything spread-like other than cream cheese in it’s block form, but this little baby was calling my name. Sun-dried tomato & basil cream cheese? I’m so in.

Here’s what you’ll need:

tortillas

sun-dried tomato & basil Philadelphia cream cheese
{side note: I think you might be able to find a coupon on this, and it seems go pretty far}

sliced turkey

cheddar or mozzarella cheese

Spread the tortilla with a thin layer of cream cheese, add a slice of turkey, then top with cheddar or your favorite cheese. Fold in half and lightly coat both sides with cooking spray. Bake at 425 until golden brown on both sides and the cheese has melted {you might need to check the tortilla bottom in about 5 minutes and flip it}.

Or you can do it the old-fashioned way by frying them in the skillet with a thin layer of oil. I find the baking method much easier when making 8-10 quesadillas for my crowd! :D

It’s not a precise recipe- make it how you think you would like it- because hey, you might like more cheese than I do! ;)

IMG_7740

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, friends!

5 comments:

Keri Baker said...

Those look and sound delicious! And I have been eyeing those flavored cream cheeses for a few weeks now, maybe I should take the plunge. :)

Kelli@eatpray{read}love said...

Mmmm these look good! Although, not a fan of cheese, not sure we can be friends anymore! Just kidding, I wish I didn't love it so much!

Emily Geleske said...

that looks like it's to die for! I can't wait to make this :-)

Michelle Wimp said...

so trying these this w/e! thanks!

jeana said...

These look so good and simple! I'm up so early, praying and seeking Good, and then He lead me to your blog. I am so encouraged by your blog!! After I read you were from TX and a homeschooler, I found myself praying you we're anywhere close to Amarillo haha! I think we would make great friends :). You're family is precious! I'll keep you and your new little guy in my prayers. I have felt dry spiritually for the same reasons you mentioned in one of your posts and was so encouraged to hear your thoughts on it. I'm so glad to "meet" you!

Jeana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...