Friday, February 10, 2012

three simple steps to exercising consistently & loving it

This is the final segment of our {fitness on friday} series on finding your exercising “sweet spot.”  You can check out part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5, and part 6 if you are just joining in!

Do you wish you actually wanted to exercise? I know lots of people who would love to get into a daily exercise routine someday, but feel like they don’t have the time or really the desire to do it on a regular basis. I’ve been exercising daily for almost five years now, and here are three things that I think were crucial in helping me to become a fitness-lover:

1. Goals

Goals are what drive you to start exercising. Maybe you want to lose weight, or be more in shape or more toned, or even just be able to walk up that flight of stairs at work without being winded! Goals are desires defined, and setting one is the first step to finding your exercising sweet spot.

Set a goal in your mind {or on paper!} of what you want to happen in one month, three months, and one year. Don’t go crazy- be realistic. If it’s a weight loss goal, don’t try to lose more than 2 lbs. per week. You want to stay healthy and keep your energy levels so exercising becomes a regular activity, which means crash dieting shouldn’t be an option. :)

2. Accountability

Whether it’s your neighbor or your sibling, or the childcare reservation you made at the gym, being accountable to be somewhere or do something at a certain time will drive you to actually do it. No one wants to do that TPS report, but knowing you have six people relying on you makes you do it anyway, right? :)  The same is true in fitness. It’s hard, and unless you find it just absolutely, amazingly fun, you really need someone counting on you to do it. 

I teach fitness classes five days a week now, so I have lots of people relying on me to show up. ;) But when I started exercising after my first baby was born, it was because a friend invited me to a step class at a church. I knew she would be there, so I was motivated to show up so she wouldn’t wonder what happened to me! And I loved the results, which kept me coming back for more. :)

<--- this was after teaching a spin and a body pump class, a.k.a. my daily uniform if it weren’t for WIW: sweat and Nike! :P

3. Motivation

Results provide great motivation for exercising consistently. Most people do lose weight when they start a program- which is so exciting for beginners! But really, whether you see results or not, I think the most important part of finding your exercising sweet spot is to find a workout you love. 

Whether it’s exercising to DVD’s, watching/doing exercise videos online, running outside, hiking, or taking group fitness classes- finding something that you enjoy will be a crucial step to working out consistently. If you love it, you will come back for more, even if it is hard work.

I love group fitness classes- Les Mills classes are my favorite by far, because the music drives me to work harder and makes me enjoy the time I’m there. And they burn lots of calories too!



I love to exercise, but I don’t want you to think it’s an absolute necessity to have in your life. Crafty business marketing will tell you it is- but being healthy doesn’t require a gym membership or fitness DVD’s, or a treadmill, or weight training. You can be healthy by making wise decisions with what you eat and walking outside. There’s so much freedom in this area, friends! Don’t feel the burden to do what the magazines tell you is necessary to live a long life.

We all have a much more trustworthy source that tells us how to live a long life {and it doesn’t involve exercising daily!}:

“My son, do not forget My law, but let your heart keep My commands; for length of days and long life and peace they will add to you.” Proverbs 3:1

You shall walk in all the ways which the Lord your God has commanded you, that you may live and that it may be well with you, and that you may prolong your days in the land which you shall possess.” (Deuteronomy 5:33)

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.” (Exodus 20:12)

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— “that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” (Ephesians 6:1-4)

And this is so important- don’t forget this:

For while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

There are things far more important than exercising in this life we get to live. Love God, love people, and exercise if you want to! :D

Have a wonderful weekend, friends! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...