Wednesday, February 01, 2012

what i wore this week {why I do wiww edition}

what i wore this week is a segment of the blog that I like for lots of little reasons...you might be wondering, is fashion really important in the grand scheme of things? In any scheme of things? Nah. I don’t really think so.

But for some reason, I enjoy putting outfits together, and the what I wore this week series keeps me motivated to get dressed every day for my family {which is something that feels extremely important after you had to answer the door at noon and you were still bra-less in your old yoga pants and ratty night shirt! eek!}. I also like to do it because I think it’s fun to share what kinds of deals you can find at the thrift store!

Like this: I found this necklace, earrings, floral top, and jeans at Goodwill for $13 total. The sweater was from Target {$17} and the shoes were my fave neutral shoes ever {$20}!

IMG_8281

The two individual items were more expensive than all the others combined!  I so love the thrift store!

IMG_8276

So when it comes to clothing and the role it has in our life as believers, here’s what I think: we women have the job of helping to provide coverings for our family, and I believe God does put in us design and creativity and an appreciation for colors and beauty and orderly things.

I’m often reminded of this verse in Proverbs 31 when I think about the whole getting dressed thing:

She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet
. v. 21

It’s not something we should worry or be anxious about-  what we wear has no value in itself, and all things will be provided by the Lord in His time- but I think we are to be the nurturers of the family, making sure that those in our care are dressed and protected from the elements, while being wise stewards with the money God has given us at the same time.

And I can’t seem to discount the scarlet part either- she dresses her family in fine, quality garments. That is so interesting to me. It’s not wrong for me to spend money to wear Ralph Lauren clothes, or to buy a nice pair of leather shoes. If I buy nice things that will last my family many years, I’m being a good steward with the money I have been given. And they were good enough to protect them from the weather- so they weren’t full of holes or old and thin.

IMG_8361

{a gap clearance sweater from last year, $8, and a $4 self-tailored skirt from Ann Taylor Loft, paired with an old pair of Steve Madden shoes and a $1 vintage belt!}

IMG_8376

I guess the question is, if I’m buying loads of scarlet clothes just because they give the appearance of wealth, what is the good in that? Or if I’m throwing away money on clothes I’ll only wear a few times {high-end or low-end}, what purpose does that serve?

Does that make sense?

It’s not that I’ve got it. I don’t think it’s wrong to buy new clothes at all. But have you ever felt guilty for buying something you didn’t really need? I have. Even when it’s only $3 from Goodwill. I like shopping and finding new deals, but lately I’ve been trying harder to make more with what I’ve already got {which is plenty!}. I’ve been trying to remix a lot of my clothes these days! :)

I think it’s fun to buy unique pieces to work with your neutral investment pieces. You can remix them, over and over again- making the best of the money you’ve been given.

I’m a huge fan of a Gap cardigan sweater and a good pair of American Eagle jeans: {probably the foundation of 65% of my outfits ;) }IMG_8404

Paired with a $3 Goodwill floral top and an $8 pair of GW patent leather heels, the neutrals work their magic, I think.

IMG_8407

IMG_8390

And I think it’s a good thing to find clothes that can be resold when they aren’t used any more. Finding nicer clothing will give you a greater chance of resale- which means you could get dressed for a fraction of the price!

I love to buy things on eBay or at the thrift store and resell them for what I paid or more. Like this Fossil bag:

IMG_8340

Whether you resell or buy on sale, or buy thrifted clothes- it doesn’t matter. It’s not about the clothes. Life is more than clothing, and a woman’s life doesn’t consist in the abundance of her possessions. But that’s good news, isn’t it?? :D

The only thing that really matters in this life on earth is what you believe- and what you do with it. 

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

 

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. John 3:16-17

What do you believe in? What do you hope to accomplish in your days here in this place?

 

linking up for What I Wore Wednesday @ the Pleated Poppy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...