Tuesday, March 06, 2012

finding beauty in unexpected places

Saturday morning delivered up quite the dilemma at our house. We had two options: either stay home and do errands and projects, or take advantage of the gorgeous day and visit the local {massive} flea market in my hometown. The practical side of me wanted to stay home and get ahead on the coming week….

You can guess which one we chose, right? :)

We had the best time just walking around and I couldn’t resist taking lots and lots of pictures. I wish I could share with you the beauty of it in all it’s glory:  the vibrant colors, the chatter of the shoppers as they linger over goods, the smell of freshly made food that finds you at every turn, the cool breeze….

You’ll just have to pretend with me, okay? :) {warning: lots of pictures ahead!}

First Monday {the flea market is held the weekend before the first Monday of the month} has a little bit of everything. Since it was spring there were lots of beautiful flowers for sale:

IMG_9168

and there are always so many unique antiques to be found…

IMG_9162

IMG_9160

IMG_9123

IMG_9118{can anyone tell me what this pan is for?? why the different shapes? treats for the ladies at the bridge game?}

But lots of new items too. I so enjoyed spying the bold colors through my camera lens…

IMG_9154

IMG_9112

IMG_9106

Sometimes it’s just fun to watch the people {totally an accidental shot, but I loved it…this is the perfect example of a husband and wife at a flea market…}:

IMG_9026

Actual conversation heard between a husband and wife {not those people}:

husband: what do you use a mason jar on a stick for?

wife:  you know, to put on the counter to look pretty.

husband: I don’t get it. Why do you need one?

wife: it’s for decoration, you know?

husband: no…I don’t see why anyone would need a mason jar on a stick…

I couldn’t help but smile about that one. Yes, we women do love silly {beautiful!} things that have no practical use sometimes. That’s the reason there is a First Monday, and Hobby Lobby…and the reason we enjoy beautiful shops that offer delightful knick knacks like these:

IMG_9067IMG_9061

IMG_9060

We spotted lots of fun signs everywhere…is this a common phrase where you live too? :)

IMG_9058

Not to mention lots of lovely crafting supplies and home decor like this too:

IMG_9056

IMG_9098

IMG_9092

and I even spotted a dress I loved…if only it didn’t cost $76 dollars. I’m just going to have to find a way to replicate her… ;)

IMG_9099

It was one of those days where you soak up every moment… we were in the marketplace, but our time there wasn’t about shopping.

It was about living, breathing fresh air, seeing the beauty of the colors, loving the people God gave me to enjoy this life with:

IMG_9171

There were so many lovely things to see there, but I think one this was the most beautiful to see of them all.

What is beautiful to you today?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...