unexpected blessings

When my friend Erin from Two Story Cottage sent me pictures of quotes to write about for the Gathered Thoughts linky party, I was so excited to see this one! :)

I just love this quote:


It's so, so true. C.S. Lewis always brings it, doesn't he? :)

You know when you have this plan in your head, and when it doesn't turn out the way you think it should, you feel slighted, or wonder what you did wrong?

About seven years ago, we were sinking in debt, and we decided to put our house up for sale so that we could live closer to the city we worked in. 

We were trying to keep up with our credit card bills and car payment, and we had quite a bit of equity in our new home we wanted to pull out. That and spending less in gas money would keep us afloat for quite while according to our plans.

But our home didn't sell for months.

All that time, I was so upset because we needed to move in my mind. As soon as we could.

Yet thankfully, God, in His mercy, didn't let us move until months later. 

The reason? 

We sold our house the very month that we were eligible to avoid the massive capital gains tax. We'd needed every penny of the return on our investment, and God didn't allow us to sell our home until the very right moment.

Time after time this keeps happening in our life, and I've even started to make an effort to write these things down when they happen, because God is always bigger than my plans. My plans, my thoughts, are so small- so short-sighted, but He sees everything!

Isn't that the most comforting thing ever? God, our Lord, our Father, holds our future in His hands- and He reigns over all of it. And we can trust Him!! Our future is held in His Hands! He brings us blessings, not harm, no matter what we see on our end. He is so good to us!!

Oh, what a glorious thing. Thank you Jesus for being the I AM. You bring joy to Monday mornings, and to every part of our lives.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 
Jeremiah 29:11


Q: Does this happen in your life too? Do you remember a time when God brought greater blessing than you planned? 


You can check out more gathered thoughts over here:




9 comments

Becky@Organizing Made Fun said...

Mandy - You've hit it right on! We have had this happen time and time again...over and over we've seen God's plans were far better than our own! Thanks for sharing.

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

Michelle Wimp said...

yes, you are so right. in one of my classes my teacher said, "God's answers/plans would be our answers/plans if we could see from the beginning to the end like He does." (She gave the person she quoted but i dont remember off the top of my head.) I *try* to remember that each time I *think* i get an answer i don't like, altho i fail quite often at that. It's usually much later that i can accept it.

Anna said...

We had this happen when we were planning to go to language school. We were going to start in Jan 2008, but had to wait until Sept 2008. It fell through at the last minute, less than a week before we were going to move. We already had things packed, made plans... It was pretty stressful.
But it turned out to be better in the long run. We had more time to really prepare for the move. It was better for our kids to be able to start a full school year instead of having 2 years of school interrupted with a move. Plus lots of other details that fell into place for us. Definitely God's timing.

Natalie said...

Oh yes indeed!! To make a long story short, I have been unable to have children and through this struggle and lost blessing it ended with a hysterectomy. I was devestated, heart broken and lost. Over a period of two years folowing the surgery I tried everything to pull myself out of the black hole I was in, but nothing worked, so in my desperation I decided to try something different. I decided to end my worthless life. Laying on the kitchen floor, sobbing, having made my decision, I recieved an undeniable message, not a voice out side of me but an internal message, only way I can describe it. It was real and undeniable, a message that I could not possibly ignore. The words I was given were " come as you are" .... I was not a Christian and had pretty much lived my life as though God didn't exist. So, to cut this long story short :) I didn't end my life, I actually started a new one! I believe with out a doubt that Jesus came to me that day, held out His hand and said " come as you are" and together we'll figure it all out as we go along. He has started healing my shattered heart..and only He could do it. I've joined a Church and made new friends I'm reading the Bible and have developed a wonderful pray life. So yes after the loss of one potential blessing I've had the greatest blessing of all given to me, the love and hope that can only be found in Christ... thanks so much Mandy for the chance to share a little of my story...Natalie x

Lovefeasttable said...

Lol! He does it daily! My timeline is never a good one and I've learned that His is perfect...never early, but always on time. We are in a place of waiting for His timing right now. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Good, a lot of times, is the enemy of the Best." Sometimes we push for good...when if we were patient, God had something so much better in mind. Great post! Thanks for linking up with us today and joining us at the table!
~Kristin

mandyBH said...

:D rejoicing in His goodness with you sweet friend!! I hope you have a lovely week! :D thank you for reading!!

Samantha said...

Love this post for sure. Recently shared my testimony here: http://artbyjacy.blogspot.com/2012/03/this-is-my-story-testimony-series.html

And did my own Gathered Thoughts post here:
www.thepeanutsgang.com

Thanks for sharing!

Kelly W. said...

We were looking for a new house about 3 years ago. We'd been looking for about 5 months and were growing tired because nothing "felt" like home. There was always something wrong with it. We had made an offer on what we thought was the "perfect" home for us and the deal fell through. Nothing was going right. One day we went to see a house that had just gone on the market. We were the first people to look at it and we really liked it. We finally decided to make an offer on it. My husband was still hesitant though even though we had already given it over to God. He prayed that day that if it was where HE wanted us that we would get some kind of sign. We made the offer on the house at lunch that day. At 10:00 that night, our realtor called with an offer on the house we were living in and had been trying to sell for several months. We took that as our neon sign that this was where we were supposed to be!

Erin @Twostorycottage said...

Thanks so much for participating, Mandy!! And I agree wholeheartedly with your post! We have moved 4 times in the last several years and each time there was a God moment where I thought "ohhh, I get it." Whether it was a contract falling through, a flood the day before closing, or an inspection gone wrong things have happened that were way out of our control. In all scenarios, things ended up better in the long run. He does provide even if it takes a while to realize it sometimes! :)