life on tuesday

Here’s a little bit of our life on Tuesday morning… :D

I woke up this morning, poured my coffee and headed to the couch for my morning devo as usual. As I rounded the corner, I found this huge present waiting for me on the sofa, all wrapped up! {I had to resist the urge to take a picture before I opened it! :P}

Image 9

My sweet hubs surprised me with a cool fan! My mother-in-law has the same one that I love, so he went and bought one for me too. The kids wrapped it last night- so sneaky! I had no idea!

What a wonderful man he is. :D

Are we weird, or do your children come downstairs in the morning dressed in costume too? I couldn’t resist taking a pic! {even with the cereal on her face! ha!}

Image 8

Last night we did a very late grocery run with all the kids. I so didn’t want to go, but not having groceries isn’t really an option on this diet! :) We spent $113 in groceries for the week {thinking they’ll last longer too}, but my biggest food purchase was this bag for $6:

Image 7

I’ve fallen in love with nuts. I crave them like crazy now! I crave avocado now too.

I wonder why? Because they are such a good source of protein? Fat? Whatever it is, they are amazing!!

To offset the cost of all the nuts and avocados, beans are a staple around here these days- my crockpots runneth over:

Image 12

Tonight I’m making 10 bean soup and the black beans on the right are for lunches this week.

It’s funny how our kitchen is starting to change. Potatoes, melons, apples, avocados, garlic, and onions are overtaking the flour and sugar on my baking shelves:Image 11

And it’s the same story in the fridge:

Image 10

Greens, plant milks, and veggies are overtaking the eggs and dairy. So exciting!

I’ve had some random strange dull headaches recently. I can’t figure out why they’re happening- I’m guessing it’s a withdrawal of some kind? Or a lack of water…. I’ve not been as thirsty in the last week or so either. Stevia doesn’t give you a headache does it? Hmmm….

Or maybe it’s just homeschooling spring fever- I’m so ready for summer break! :D The kids are doing really well now though, so it’s almost hard for me to break the routine for summer.  I can’t decide if it’s better to go on and stay in the groove, or stop for a long break.

Image 13

What do you think? Which is better: summer or school?

How’s life on Tuesday at your house? :D

34 comments

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are doing really well with your diet. I wonder if it is hard to not lose weight since you are already a cute little size.

When we homeschooled we took a short break of about a month in the summer and then we went back to do a 4 day a week schedule the rest of the school year. We loved having 3 day weekends. We started doing this after hubby's scheduled allowed him to have Friday's off. That way we could go do things as a family on Fridays.

Keep up the great work.
Sheila Payne

Lucinda Wilkinson said...

where did you get those curtains in your dining room. i love them, did you make them, thrift them, yard sale???? how long have you had them?

Kimberly Freeman said...

Hey Mandy, I've been following your blog for a while now, but I hardly ever comment. I just wanted to let you know from seeing your photos above- you shouldn't store potatoes and onions near each other, as they will spoil faster!

La said...

It's fun to learn throughout the year. We takes short breaks here and there...but homeschool all year round. ;-)

Kisti said...

Wow...that's interesting...wonder why they always have those storage bins labeled "taters" and "onions?"

Kis said...

Looks great! It makes a mom feel good to have all those nutritious things stocked up! I wonder if the headaches are from the detox process? Definitely upping your consumption of water should help.

Victoria Huizinga said...

We do 1/2 day sessions for homeschooling for the summer. One day we get the first half of our school day done the next day the second half. Meaning each week we get 2 1/2 days done. I love using these days through out the school year for breaks when I get a bit "homeschool nutty"

Angie said...

My son is signed up for a year round school for the fall. He starts August 1 and goes through June 19 (or around there). I like this idea because he gets more smaller breaks during the year and won't have as long of a break over the summer. We have been debatingg on homeschooling and I am pretty sure we would follow this school calendar if we ever do!

Tammy said...

I don't know about stevia, but agave gives me migraines.

Kelly Munger said...

Before we started homeschooling, our boys went to a year-round school. We still (loosely) follow the same schedule. I like it that way. :)

Mary_Krause said...

i am willing to bet that headaches are the result of your body detoxing.
when i did a candida cleanse, i was SO sick for about a week while my body was ridding itself of nasty toxins. ACK!
but i feel much better now!
LOVE your cute kitchen storage! :)

Amy Bennett said...

Yes, I would bet the headaches are a withdrawal. Are you used to caffeine or sugar? Have you cut out gluten completely? I've heard that can do it too. But I would say in any case, drink more water. hehe. It's my mom's mantra! "Drink water!"

mandyBH said...

Oh my goodness, I had no idea! I wondered why neither of them would keep long!! thank you Kimberly!! :D

guest said...

definitely need extra water when detoxing. by the time you feel thirsty you are already in a dehydrated state and that most certainly is cause for headaches.

Headwayne said...

i have always been told no fridge for the potatoes

guest said...

like our kitchen cupboards, they were made by a man

Kalaram said...

after christmas my acme store had whole nuts with the shell for $1-lb. I got10lb. that is a lot. love them.

crystalwoolever said...

My daughter always had her favorite black tutu that she wore everywhere. She wore it out so much that it got very raggy and I had to finally hide it. Even both my boys liked to dress up, my youngest boy wears his firefighter costume all the time. I think it's sweet that kids dress up, pretty soon they will be too old and you will miss it.

Kalaram said...

I went to Goodwill for the first time in my life last week and and was pleasantly surprised. I found a Breadman Breadmaker in a box for $13 (It was in my amazon wish list for over an year retails-$79) but, that was marked as “not tested”. I bought it however, my husband was not happy. I came home and opened the box. Guess what? It was brand-new and works well. Yes! I felt like it was a gift from god. Thanks.

Poorbutwise said...

I would say that you are probably cravings avocado and nuts because you NEED fat. Fat has been vilified but the truth is that we need fat for our bodies to work properly.

mandyBH said...

wohooo!!! :D How exciting!! I am so impressed with your find! Thank you Lord!

mandyBH said...

I'm feeling better today! thankfully not as many headaches! It's so weird that we are used to toxins and chemicals and we have to detox when we don't even realize it. Thank you for being there for me through this sweet lady!

mandyBH said...

Oh, so six weeks off or so...hmmm I like it!

mandyBH said...

So true, Crystal!

mandyBH said...

I'm thinking that may be the case!

mandyBH said...

what an awesome deal!!

mandyBH said...

I'm used to small amounts of sugar and lots of caffeine, but I've cut back drastically on the caffeine in the past two weeks. I didn't really think about it being caffeine, since I've cut out sodas two weeks ago now, but that could totally be it too!

Kellie said...

Please share the source for the fan...pretty please.

mandyBH said...

Hi Kellie! It was from Walmart. :D

Kellie said...

Thank you so very much! I'm loading the kids in the car...right now. :)

Kellie said...

I forgot to ask...is that a slipcovered sofa in the fan picture? I am shopping for a new sofa.

Chanellcheney said...

How in the world do you only spend $113 at the grocery store with that many people in your house?? Teach me your ways! :)

Lucinda Wilkinson said...

random as random can be question for you: where did you find those awesome curtains that are in your windows where the kiddos are doing homeschool work? sorry i just love them!!!!!!

Carise99 said...

I've read that stevia can give terrible headaches. There's entire websites dedicated to stevia side effects. On another note, thanks for all the great ideas. My husband and I have been on a similar diet for the last 5 weeks. Definitely lost weight, learning to incorporate those veggies too!