the original food diet | week 1

Chicken McNuggets.

I haven’t had them in years but they were all I could think about as I drove by McDonald’s one day this week.

I saw old Mickey D’s and all of the sudden, I could smell them. I could taste them. I needed a chicken nugget.

And any other day of the year, I wouldn’t eat one! Sheesh.

I didn’t cave, don’t worry. :)

But that’s pretty much been the story of this week.

IMG_9921

I like vegetables…I really do…but I won’t lie. This week has been mentally hard.

I love food. Apparently I love a lot of fake food. I love sweet and sour {high fructose corn-syruped} dressings, I love chocolate chip granola bars, I love half and half creamer. The real Land O’ Lakes kind. I love Diet Dr. pepper and Splenda. Oh, how I love{d} me some Splenda. I miss my Splenda.

But I like a challenge too. And even more, I’m liking the fact that I really can live without those things!

I’ve only eaten plant-based natural products for the past five days with two exceptions: Sunday we had communion with bread, and one morning I was groggy and hungry and dishing out the cereal and I ate a couple of cheerios before I realized what had happened.

I don’t think Jesus would have been happy if I’d rejected the communion bread on the grounds of “I only want to eat what you made…” ;) And the second one was totally a pre-coffee accident, so that doesn’t count, right?

Let me tell you, I had the hardest time going to the grocery stores. I’ve been to the store at least five times this week. It’s insane! :)

On Sunday I started with soy milk in my coffee. And it tasted terrible. Ehhh… soy just isn’t for me. Then I tried pureeing rice, and it still reminded me of the soy.

So then I tried a banana and that left all this funky brown junk all over my cup. And then I tried dried natural coconut {blended up}, and I liked it! The next night I went back to Walmart and bought a can of it! And it really tastes like creamer!! Hallelujah! :)

Here are a few pictures of what I’ve eaten this week:IMG_9941IMG_9934IMG_9904IMG_9895IMG_9887

How I Feel After 5 Days

The biggest change I noticed with the new diet is that my blood sugar doesn’t drop out anymore. I used to get these noticeable drops where I felt anxious and like I needed to eat sugar or bread, and now I don’t go there. I just get tired when I don’t eat, which is so much better than the feeling of the b.s. drop out.

At the beginning of the week I was able to do my normal two classes/hours each day, but by Thursday I was feeling pretty drained at the end of one hour. I eat when I’m hungry, but I think I may need to be more intentional about timing my grain intake.

Other than the crazy unnatural craving for McNuggets, I’m not having any real withdrawal symptoms. Yay!

I’m trying to keep a little food journal/blog over here if you want to follow along- I’ll be sharing little bits here and there over at my new original food blog in between Fridays!

Oh, and here’s my very favorite thing I made this week: Tex-Mex black-bean and avocado lettuce wraps:

IMG_9957IMG_9956

I loved every.single.bite. Yum. {recipe coming soon!}

How were your first five days? Were they easier or more challenging than you thought they would be?

28 comments

MomBug Designer said...

Have you considered going totally grain free?? About 30 days ago we switched to "paleo" style eating. It has been so hard but I feel amazing! (Someone pass me a cupcake!! Lol!). Just a thought! I really enjoy your blog!

Jennifer Brooks Jarvis said...

I love this idea! I might have to give it a try. I don't know what really counts as natural so it would be a learning experience for me. (I like a tsp of LOCAL honey in my coffee - sweet and yummy and helps my allergies also) Thanks for sharing your journey!

Mary_Krause said...

way to go girl! i feel the same way about the blood sugar thing. no cravings, no drop...just hungry! but i fill up much faster with a few raw almonds or a spirulina energy chew with honey, no sugar. i love following this!!!

m.t.anderson said...

While I'm not following you exactly in your original food diet, you have inspired me to eat more plant based foods this week and I'm feeling great! My favorite discovery are pumpkin seeds for a snack! Thanks for sharing this great way of eating you are trying out.

Jen CCWS said...

I"d be interested to know how this is working with your budget. Produce, etc is SOOO expensive these days. Although since you're not buying the "processed" stuff maybe it's equaling out. Would love to hear!!

Blessed Easter to you!

Lilian said...

Why are you doing this exactly? This is not a criticising comment, I am genuinely interested. And how did you come up with the rules?

mandyBH said...

Hi Lilian- the short answer is that I wanted to see what changes it would bring in my body. I loved and consumed a lot of artificial things that I knew couldn't be good for me, and this is my experiment in changing my eating habits. I ate well before, but not only real food, if that makes sense?

I made the "rules" for me to only eat things God made for us to eat. As much as possible, I'm trying to keep my food in an unprocessed form {coffee being my exception, and I'm def. not perfect here} I really think God made our bodies to live and thrive on the food He provided and I'm hoping that by eating that I can heal the damage I've done with ingesting lots of chemicals, and hopefully get rid of the toxins that are stored in my body from animal fat, chemicals, etc. I hope that answers your question. :D

http://www.biblicalhomemaking.blogspot.com/2012/03/food-on-friday-introducing-real-food.html

mandyBH said...

I didn't keep track of it this week as well but I know that the bill went up. I don't know how long the food will last us yet, hopefully just as long! :D will try to keep a closer tab on next week!

mandyBH said...

I'm so glad you're joining in!! The lovely thing is that any improvement is a good thing! wohoo! Love it!!

mandyBH said...

Oh I just read spirulina is a super food! I want to try one! So are the almonds in the bag {cooking section} at the store considered raw? That's what we bought, lol! I'm such a newbie!

mandyBH said...

Wohoo! I'd love to hear your story! We are all in it together so it makes it easier! :D And I'm learning as I go for sure!

Lauren said...

Mandy, have you read "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone? I own it and have read it thru at least 3 times b/c it's so good! The diet is very similar to what you describe--essentially vegan. She has a ton of great recipes in the book that I've made over and over again (like succotash, sauteed collard greens with balsamic, garlic, raisins and nuts, etc) . She also mentions that if you know what to buy, groceries don't need to be more expensive. In fact, the price of rice and beans (and some other veggies like carrots, celery, etc) is much lower per lb than meat.

Tina said...

Way to go girl!! I probably would have caved on those nuggets! I've been feeling good on this... Even lost 2 lbs in 1 week.. Wow!, I have had sugar cravings- usually around 7 pm... So I've fended it off with a handful of dried fruit. Looking forward to the tex mex recipe. My fav meal this week was a "bean bowl"... Black beans, brown rice, green & red pepper, cilantro, lemon juice and flax oil... Yum. Reminds me of the bean bowl dishes at Chipotle..

Sara Myers said...

Check out this natural foodie's blog. She has great recipes and time saving tips. http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/

Jenny Miller said...

Good for you! It's nice to hear you didn't cave, but even if you did, I know you would keep at it. We don't learn from being perfect, we learn from our mistakes. Keep at your challenge, I look forward to hearing more!

J Wagner said...

Totally understand the crazy craving! My husband and I started started the 17 Day Diet 12 days ago. It's basically 17 days of lean meat (chicken, turkey, fish), lots of veggies, probiotics (yogurt, kefer), eggs, and a couple fruits a day. No carbs! (then another 17 day cycle which adds a few things back in, etc. etc.) Anyway, I'll watch the kids as they toast their bread and put butter and honey on it...oh my word! I will say, I have a lot more energy. And I'm enjoying that. Apparently those carbs have been making me groggy! and we eat healthy carbs too.

Regge Jones said...

Love lettuce wraps!!!

Lilian said...

Hi Mandy!
Thank you for taking time to answer my query. I have wanted to do something similar too and you have encouraged me to take the plunge! Just another question if you don't mind :) Why did you decide to remove animals from your diet? Aren't our bodies adapted to eat animals? Or eggs for instance? Thank you!

Melody said...

Hi! Would you mind giving us the "recipe" for the lettuce wrap? Thanks!

mandyBH said...

Way to go on your diet! I'm so excited for you!

mandyBH said...

Oh my goodness that's awesome! I can't believe you lost 2 lbs. already! That's so exciting!

mandyBH said...

I'm definitely going to check that out, thank you!!!

Alli said...

You're truly an inspiration! I love reading your blog.

http://beautifulfamilyaffairs.blogspot.com/

Carrie said...

I NEED TO KNOW!!! What was it exactly that you put in your coffee that tasted like half & half?! You said "dried natural coconut (blended up)"...is that a liquid? Or just actual coconut meat ground up? I L.O.V.E. my coffee, and I'm very particular about it. I (gag) take it with 2T of sugar and probably 1/3c of half & half. I tried my coffee the other day with agave and it was *okay*, but I couldn't cut the amount in half like they suggest (wasn't enough sweet). Would LOVE it if I found something else that works like half & half! Thanks a bunch!

mandyBH said...

:D I blended up water and shredded coconut unsweetened and squeezed it through a coffee filter to try it. After that, I bought a can of coconut milk in the asian section and just use a spoonful or two. I am a 1/2 and 1/2 die hard, and this is the only thing I can stomach. :D I use stevia in the packets instead of sugar. Not the same at all, but I don't get the jitters now that I stopped using dairy! I hope that helps! :D

Leslie said...

I'm about to go try my hand at some Tex-Mex Lettuce Wraps, but I would love to know how you made yours. Thanks for the healthful inspiration!

guest said...

re: soy products. just a caution to be mindful of the amt of soy that is in EVERYYTHING and that my endocrinologist has cautioned to not actively try to include it in my diet that it will be difficult enough to avoid it even with diligently reading lables to avoid it. It inhibits things pertaining to metabolism ie thyroid and diabetics

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Mandy! I love the way you choose this healthy food idea and knowing about the great outcome!! Well, the bible says we must take care of our body as it is a holy temple for God and this lifestyle can be a good example to other people too that we must taking good care of our body. Its good to know that. You are a humble & fun mama! Love your blog!