recipe: quick and easy veggie chili


This has become one of my favorite recipes on the original food diet
{can you believe it's the last official day?! I'm going to give a full report tomorrow! :D}

My husband loves McAlister's veggie chili, and for some reason it took me weeks to think of making a version at home. It's fast, easy, and super cheap. We love it! 

I thought it was definitely appropriate for a thrifty thursday post. :) We made it this week as you can see on our meal plan, and I think it's going to be a weekly menu item from now on.

It can be as easy as you'd like to make it. If you'd rather mince onion and garlic fresh, and use fresh tomatoes, even better! I like using the dried and canned versions at my house for easier meals. :)

Here's what you'll need:
5 cups of cooked pinto beans {can be canned- 3 15 oz. cans}
1 29 oz. can diced tomatoes {fresh is better}
1 29 oz. can tomato puree
3 tbs. onion, minced
3 tbs. garlic, minced
3 tbs. chili powder
1-2 tbs. of salt {to taste- I like 2 tbs.}
1 tbs. oregano
dash of cayenne {optional}



Stir all ingredients together {undrained} in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes, then simmer on low for at least 15 minutes. 


The longer the simmer, the better the flavor!

You could also let it simmer on low in the crockpot for several hours for an even easier meal.

So filling, and so delicious.


Easy, frugal, and yummy. The best of all worlds! :)

What's your favorite go-to easy recipe?

11 comments

katrynka said...

I like veggie chili with a variety of beans, and I always add diced carrots!!

For a quick dinner I put rice in the rice cooker, dice skinless boneless chicken breast and partially sauté in oil. Then I add two bags of frozen Chinese stir fry veggies. When all is cooked, I add some Lawrys (or another if on sale!) teriyaki sauce. Serve over rice, lots of yummy veggies!

bkasm5 said...

Please keep the recipes coming! We are in the process of transitioning our family to a plant based diet, but i am finding it hard to find easy family recipes to prepare. Love this!

Abby3 said...

Really seems like you could doctor this up even more with other veggies- especially diced bell peppers! even chopped celery and carrots if you throw it in a slow-cooker during the day..... would make it like a veggie stew.

FiveToeDiscount said...

I can imagine following this recipe in the winter when onions and garlic prices go up but I'm surprised that while following a whole foods diet in the spring you are using so many dried ingredients (not that there is anything wrong with that...just that fresher is better!). I have some of this chili going in the crockpot right now but used fresh onions and garlic instead and added a bell pepper. Smells yummy!

J Dunn said...

I actually make something similar - we call it vegetarian chili. I think the original was 1 -15oz can each of sweet corn, chili beans, tomatoes, black beans, pinto beans and a small can of green chilis. But really, I mix it up & at least double it for our size of family. I have started using Rotel & a can of tomatoes, and 4 of whatever canned beans I have on hand, 2 chili beans, 2 corn. When it's all bubbly, I serve it with a dash of cheese and some sour cream on top.

Jenny W said...

Is that 2 tablespoons of salt or 2 teaspoons?

mandyBH said...

It's tablespoons. :D

mandyBH said...

Yum!! that sounds fabulous!

mandyBH said...

I actually have onions and garlic on hand, but I'm trying to keep food prep a little easier right now. I totally agree with you and mentioned fresh is better in the post, it's just that with all the things I have going on right now {the list is crazy- homeschooling, teaching several hours of classes, blogging, volunteering, hosting dinner guests, 4 kids, laundry, cleaning, home remodeling…. :P}, dried is a shortcut I don't mind taking in a soup recipe these days. :) And the reason I posted it that way was because I thought it might also help people who are just starting out on a vegan diet too. :D Let me know how you liked it in the crockpot! :D

mandyBH said...

oh, probably so! I was replicating a restaurant recipe my husband loves so I stuck close to that, but I'd love to know how the extra veggies taste! :D

Charlotte Hertlein said...

This is on the stove right now. But I used a few different types of beans (cleaning out the cabinets!). I'm pretty excited for it! I did add quinoa to it because I needed to get rid of it out of the refrigerator! I'm working on following this diet loosely, I've changed it up a bit for me, but I really hope you keep posting recipes! I need them!