recipe: low- calorie pumpkin sauce


This is one of my favorite snacks these days! I have never loved pumpkin pie, but I LOVE this. It's so easy, and low in calories, and so good for you!

Here's what you'll need:


1 29 oz. can of pumpkin
1/2 cup of honey {more or less to taste}
dash of cinnamon
dash of ginger {optional- along with any pumpkin pie seasonings you like}

Stir ingredients together in a saucepan over low heat until warm. {do the same in the microwave}

Serve warm or chilled. I love it warmed. I portion out my pumpkin in a few 6-8 ounce containers for the week.  {not that it lasts that long! ;)}

It's so warm and filling! On this diet, I don't have to worry about calories because it's all real food, but I love this because it's good for you, and feels indulgent when you can't have a sugar-filled dessert. :D

Okay, so have you ever eaten pumpkin without the pie? Am I really weird? :P


check out: Tip Junkie handmade projects

8 comments

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy, Our family has moved more into a whole foods diet and we've worked to cut sugar out as well. When my kiddos want something sweet to eat, we make banana pudding which consists of a banana mushed up with a dash of cinnamon & vanilla. Thanks for the recipe and meal plan ideas!
~Jaime

Sheila Payne said...

This sounds delicious. Thank you for a super new idea. I have a question. Did you really have to watch calories before your new diet? You look like someone that would eat all she wants and not gain a thing.

clarkenvironmental said...

Hi Mandy,

I have read all of your thoughts on this diet plan, and I think I will give it a try.... Thanks for the encouragement!
Blessings,
Amy Jo

Beth Ann said...

I will definitely try this. LOVE pumpkin and desperately need yummy healthy dessert options because I have a perpetual sweet tooth! ;(

ClaireGranger317 said...

Hey Mandy!

First, I'm a huge fan of your blog! Second, I have done this diet in the past, and blogged it to hold myself accountable. I felt A M A Z I N G on this diet and lost 39 pounds in about a month and a half. The only reason I stopped is that the wonderful husband-to-be manipulated me with grilled smoked sausage (my weakness!).

I read about all of your trials with coffee creamer. I had the same problem. I decided to let down the no processed rule and got "Good Karma" coffee creamer. It is soy based (but does NOT taste like soy- i hate soy!) and uses raw cane sugar instead of regular white sugar. All in all it's amazing. Tastes exactly like international delight or coffee mate! If you are just dying for the mock-creamer...go for the good karma brand! (I used to buy it at walmart!)

I am very likely going to start this plan again, because I've been feeling sluggish the last few months NOT doing it. Would love to have you be a guest blogger on my blog to share your story! (I'm sure you incredibly busy though! So don't stress if your schedule wouldn't allow it!!)

Anyway, keep up the good work! If you can not STOP and just make it a permanent lifestyle change I think you won't regret it! Sneaking a piece of cheese on occasion won't kill you, but overall this diet IS the key to a healthier body and mind!

Bless you!

Shanee Vickers said...

I've been waiting for you to post this recipe; can't wait to give it a try!

Jennifer Miller said...

I like pumpkin without the pie!

crystalwoolever said...

I absolutely love pumpin pie, it's one of my favorite foods to eat in the fall. I can't wait to give this a try, I think I'm going to add some uncooked oats and ground flax seed for added fiber. It will make a great breakfast food, thank you so much for this recipie.