walking through the gospel: the 12 week plan



Are you ready to walk through the Gospel together? I'm thrilled!! I've never been so excited about a series here. :D It's going to be fun!

Each week {as the Lord wills} we will be going through a different topic related to the story of the Gospel. We're starting from the beginning- the basics of Christianity, so to speak- from why we study and believe the Bible, to why we need Jesus and His sacrifice, to how He changes our lives in our daily walk with Him now.

I'm planning to post each Tuesday, and give you a short worksheet and Scripture list to study in advance, that way we can discuss it here the next week as a community.  :D {yay!!!}

A Bible Study for All

This study is for everyone- whether you don't know if you believe, or if you're a new believer and need some guidance on the basics, or if you're a long time Christian who wants to fall in love with the gospel again and learn to walk intimately with our God each day!

We're going to be studying who He is and who we are in relation to Him, and why we need Him so desperately.

Each week, I encourage you to try to spend any time with Him you can- early, late, noon... whatever- just to study who He is. When we see ourselves in light of who God is, we can't help but fall to our knees in need of Him. And it's such a beautiful thing. Ahhh!!

Studying and walking with Him is transforming- no matter where you are right now! He continually transforms us through His Word and His Holy Spirit. And He's always surprising us with how He does it! :D

I just love this quote:
Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense.

What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
Isn't that exciting? He wants to do far more in us than we could ever imagine!!

Are you ready? :D


The Plan

Here's our study schedule for the next 12 weeks:

week 1: The Bible- The Who, What, When, Where, and Why
week 2: God: Eternal and Loving Creator
week 3: Man, Sin and the Fall
week 4: Jesus: God in the Flesh
week 5: The Perfect Sacrifice: Why We Needed It
week 6: The Gift of Salvation and Repentance
week 7: Believing and Following Jesus Now
week 8: The Holy Spirit: Our Gift
week 9: Grace upon Grace: Living in Fallen Flesh
week 10: The Transforming Power of the Gospel
week 11: Seeking God's Will in our Lives
week 12: Walking in Joy with an Eternity Mindset

Next Week's Assignment

We're starting next Tuesday with week one!

I've created a Google doc below for next week's study guide. You can download it, or if you'd rather use the computer to type all of your answers in, you can do that too! :)

If you want to follow along, study these verses over this week, and we will talk about them next Tuesday. I'll give my take and do an overview, and do my best to answer any questions you might have! :D

Here's the link:
week 1 assignment: the Bible

Happy studying! :D {isn't this so.much.fun?!}

22 comments

crystalwoolever said...

I'm ready to get started!!!

Shonda said...

What a great study, Mandy! I'm going to save this and maybe do it with one of my friends who is a seeker.

natalie said...

Exactly what I need..I'm a new Christian ans have so much to learn so this is perfect..thank you so much for doing it x

Chrissy Johnson said...

Can't wait! I'll be out of town/country for the next two Tuesdays but I definitely plan on catching up!

Pilly849 said...

Hi Sis! I'm going to try to do your course-it sounds really neat...talk to you soon. p.s. I'm so proud of you sis!

Love, D

Whitney Obrecht said...

I can't wait to get started! I am unable to get the document to print. i have never dealt with google docs. any suggestions?

mandyBH said...

It opens a pdf for you when you click the print icon, and it should come up so that you can print from adobe reader or preview in mac. It seemed to work for me, but I'm a mac girl. Did it pop up in another program for you? Or maybe your popup blocker blocked it? hmmm....

mandyBH said...

woot, woot! So glad you're joining us! Be safe on your trip! :D

mandyBH said...

thank you! :D

mandyBH said...

yay! So glad to hear you're in! :D

mandyBH said...

Awesome!! I'm so excited! :D

mandyBH said...

I'm so glad you're in! :D wohoo!

Missy Farmer said...

Just forwarded this to my bible study group. We take the summer off as so many of us are using all of our free time running our kids to and from with their summer activities. I thought this would be a great study for us to do together and still not have to meet. I love it and find it a huge blessing I found your site.
Blessing to you my sister in Christ!!!!

Bri@SweetCGrace said...

I'm excited!

natalie said...

Hi Mandy/everyone! As I said in a previous comment, I'm a new Christian and have a lot to learn. I have something in particular that's really bugging me! Can someone tell me about Satan/the enemy/the devil...I'm so confused! is he/it a person, is he still living and if so where??? or is the "enemy" our darker side, ie greediness, jelousy, etc why does God allow him/it to exist?? Í'm too embarressed to ask anyone at my church so thought I'd ask on here as I can hide behind the computer!! Perhaps this is something you'll cover in the coming weeks Mandy? I don't mind who comments but I'd love some feedback or if someone could point me towards some good (simple) reading material. When I google it I become even more confused!.I'm reading through the Bible, following a reading plan, but I really can't figure out this particular part of Gods plan...please help :)

Jessicamumford said...

This study is fantastic!! And, I love that C.S. Lewis quote. Sometimes even us long-time believers need to get back to the basics. Thanks for leading this study to relate to people in all stages.

Love on!
~Jessica
www.bringingyoumorethanasong.blogspot.com

mandyBH said...

Natalie, this is a very good question- and I'm so glad you asked! It's important to know, because Satan is living, he is a fallen angel, {was the highest of them originally}, and is a real, active demonic enemy of God and his followers. He is also called Lucifier, and the serpent.

He was an angel who wanted to be higher than God, and because of that sin he was thrown out of heaven to become the ruler of this world until Jesus returns. He in serpent form convinced Eve to eat the apple, and then Adam ate and brought sin into the world.

His goal is to destroy the kingdom of God, and believers. He was defeated by Jesus on the cross when Jesus destroyed his greatest weapon- the power of sin {death} over those who believe in Jesus. Jesus will return for those who believe and Satan will be locked up at the end when he returns.

Until then, he wants the opposite of what God wants for us, and tries his very best to keep us from glorifying God. It says in the Bible that Satan roams the earth like a lion, seeking whom he may devour. So we don't know that he lives in a particular place, just that he is going back and forth over the earth.

John Piper says this: "Who is this serpent? The fullest answer is given in Revelation 12:9: “The great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.” So the serpent in the garden is the devil (which means slanderer), and Satan (which means accuser), and the deceiver of the whole world. Jesus calls him “the evil one” (Matthew 13:19) and “the ruler of this world” (John 12:31; 14:30; 16:11). The Pharisees call him “Beelzebul, the prince of demons” (Matthewe 12:24). Paul calls him “the god of this age” (2 Corinthians 4:4) and “the prince of the power of the air” (Ephesians 2:2)."

That's the basics. Here is a great simple summary: http://christianity.about.com/od/oldtestamentpeople/a/JZ-Who-Is-Satan.htm


If you're looking for more, here is more in-depth study for you only when you're ready:

Here's a very good audio summary of who Satan is, and what he's up to:

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/1354/satan-is-he-who-is-he

Here's a great sermon on why Satan is still on the earth. I love it! :D http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/taste-see-articles/why-satan-is-left-on-earth

and here's more on it all:
http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/1200/satan

and here's another link from John Piper that is very helpful on how Satan fell and became the {temporary} ruler of this earth.

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/the-fall-of-satan-and-the-victory-of-christ

I hope that's not too much info at once! :D Much love to you!

kathryncunliffe said...

Hi, thank you for the study plan, but im not sure how to access week 2,
Kathryn x

mandyBH said...

Hi Kathryn! Here is the link to all the studies: finding Jesus. I hope that helps! :D

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this study! I'm excited to start today. I've been feeling so lost and feel this will help me.

JenGiltner said...

How do I find the pdf for the rest of the weeks?

Mandy said...

here is the link to all of the articles, finished: I'm working on a single pdf for easier downloading, but for now, each week starts at week 1, and then is on each post :D http://biblicalhomemaking.blogspot.com/2013/10/walking-through-gospel-study-list-and.html