Wednesday, July 25, 2012

what i wore this week {clothing comfort zones}

Okay, is your summer going by in a blur like mine?

Wow.

I'm getting dressed, but before I can look up it's time to change and go to the gym. 

And after the gym in the evening, I {shower} and go straight to the comfy clothes. :D

Luckily I have managed to catch a few pics before it was that time of day! ;)

So I finally found a great pair of replacement wedges for my worn-out ones. They were Lucky Brand, and they were real leather, and $29 on clearance. If they last me like the last pair did, I'll pay like $12 a year for super comfortable shoes that I wear all the time.

And I must be getting old, because in my shoe search, the comfort factor held almost as much weight as the cuteness factor. Sheesh. Watch out, next year, I'll be wearing Dr. Scholl's.  :)


This outfit was entirely retail, though I did have a dress a lot like this one before that was thrifted. It was really too big, and so I knew I loved the style so when I found one in my size for a few more dollars at American Eagle, I brought it home. {and you'll be seeing my old favorite version very soon! ahem.}

I'm probably so weird because I love to wear the same style of clothes. I buy something I love that goes with all my clothes and wear it over and over again, usually until it wears out! {belts, solid dresses, wedges, bracelets, etc.}. I get in this clothing comfort zone or something.

I did find a new scarf last month that has been livening up all my favorite outfits:


I've been working on consolidating my closet since last week- trying to take out what I don't wear.

Strangely enough, I had this shirt in my closet for almost a year before I wore it:


 It's out of my usual color palette {ahaha! I have a color scheme!}, but I wore it last week and got so many compliments on it. So funny! I  have no idea why I never wore it before. I got it on final sale for $12 at a store going out of business.


I'd say neutrals are definitely out of my comfort zone with fair skin and red hair, but every now and then I try to step out and try new things!


I wore this to go on our date in Allen. :D

 So that the shirt and jeans {the same ones in the previous outfit too} combo above cost me $19 together. 

I tried this outfit on for fun at Anthro while we were browsing, and I realized it looked very similar to what I was wearing already! {The shirt was a little fancier, with gold threads running through it.}


The price? $188 together. Yep. My original outfit was brand new retail- not thrifted- and was still only 10% of that price! {the gold threads must have actually been made of gold, right? haha!}

Now I'm not against buying high quality clothes {especially nice jeans!} that fit you well and you can wear over and over again. But seeing the difference, and putting my $18 outfit back on and liking it better made me realize again that price or quality isn't really a measure of how good something looks on you.

Retail, clearance, thrifted, etc., it doesn't matter- if you don't like the way it fits you- you won't wear it.  {It's taken me a few years to learn that one! :D}

Are you the same way? Do you find yourself getting into a clothing comfort zone?
It's a good thing sometimes, isn't it? {You actually get your money out of your clothes! haha! :D}


18 comments:

Beth Ann said...

Ok, so now I'm wondering if you are pregnant since you said we'd be seeing the old, bigger dress again soon "ahem." ?!?! ;) Love all the outfits and you are my thrifting inspiration!

Stacey said...

Honestly, I'm jealous of the fabulous thrifting you do! We have one little thrift shop, and I live in a predominantly Mennonite area, so most people hold onto things FOREVER before they donate. The selection is awful. So I buy almost everything new, and we only have a couple of options in town that aren't all that great. I just don't shop very often. I probably have 5 or 6 shirts that I rotate through, one pair of jeans, 2 dresses, 2 skirts. I'd love to go shopping with someone like you to help me :)

Counting Coconuts said...

I'm a new reader, but I just wanted to stop by and say that I just love these posts of yours! You're like a little barbie doll (and I mean that in the nicest way possible!). And btw, while I LOVE Anthro's clothes and I've purchased many things from there (during that indulgent phase I'm not so proud of) I can personally attest to the fact that they ARE NOT high quality, in that they pill and wear just as easily as something from Target. That $188 for that shirt (which you wisely chose not to spend) was just for the name of the store it came from!

And I have to second Stacy - would LOVE to have you as a shopping buddy!!

Victoria Huizinga said...

I am trying to get out of a t-shirt and jeans look or what I refer to as the "mommy uniform". You know the one, you don't want to wear anything fancy because house work or the kids are just going to make it dirty anyways so you grab the t-shirt and the jeans with just a tad bit of stretch day after day because they are comfortable and easy to clean. Summer time has me wearing a lot of skirts and sundresses but we will see if fall makes the "mommy uniform" reappear.

Rebekah Lewis said...

I have to say, I'm pretty jealous of your luck with thrifting! I hadn't been in years (since my mom had to drag me when I was in High School) and your posts inspired me to give it a shot. I got a few things... but not the amazing deals you find!

Rebekah
http://rebekahandjohn-livingandlearning.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

I love all your outfits!!!! I think you find some cute stuff at great prices. I need to shop with you...hehe

Mini Me Style said...

Your hair is stunning - I can't ever get enough of it! I definitely get in clothing ruts, and they are hard to break out of. That cream-colored shell is fantastic on you!

Mellissa Rose said...

I love the outfit where your hair is braided. Looks great! Yup, I find myself wearing yoga skirts & pima cotton tees with my comfy Merrell sandals. I am only 32 but comfort is high on the priority list for me! :)

pretty little things said...

Just discovered your blog and I love it!
I'm your newest follower - hope you can check me out too! : )

http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

Tiffanygardner said...

Yay! Your WIWW is back! I love always checking in to see what you throw together.. and I'm like... hey, I can do that! Thanks!!!!

Laura said...

Love the side braid - you look beautiful! Where did you get your skinny jeans? They look great on you!

Chandra said...

Gotta love a girl who can score a great deal on a wedge! Stopping by from WIWW and love each of your looks. Newly following and glad to have found your stylish spot on the web.

Chandra
astylishlittlelady.com

Lindsay said...

Love the first look! Such a pretty scarf and those wedges look like an amazing find! Love how you styled your hair in the second outfit. Such a pretty look! Popping over from the Pleated Poppy.

Kassie Rew said...

Such cute outfits! And I love your hair! =) I struggle in wearing shoes with a heel even if its a wedge because I rather be comfortable. Its usually flip flops, flats, or my toms!

Stopping by from the pleated poppy!

Anh said...

Hey I found you through WWIW. So glad I stopped by...you have so many cute outfits! I especially like the navy dress on you, it works so well with your hair. But you rocked the neutrals too! I do get into a comfort zone with my clothes when I am lazy...but it's so much fun to experiment with different looks!

xo,
Anh

the domestic fringe said...

Love the blouse in the second outfit. I know you said it was different from your normal colors, but it looks fabulous on you!
~FringeGirl

Cassidy Stanley said...

You have the cutest tops! Can't believe you had that one top in your closet for a year before you wore it. Its so pretty! So funny neutrals are my comfort zone. Just did a post about it! haha

http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

Katherinegenevievefield said...

Mandy where are your wedges from??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...