Friday, October 05, 2012

5:55 a.m. {a challenge to rise early}


I woke up this morning to a crying 3-year-old {for the second time this week}.

I'm so not a huge fan of being woken up by someone else. Even someone with this cute little face:


:) though I do love that smile. {3-year-olds are so much fun when they aren't crying!}

Last week I woke up really early every day as part of my goals for the week, and I loved it.

I wasn't even sleepy- I could get up without a problem because {here's the catch} I went to bed really early.

If I'm in bed by 10, I'm up before 6. My body doesn't like to sleep much longer than that {it's one great benefit of getting older!}.

But this week I stayed up late again, and I was less than productive in my late hours. And naturally, it has affected my mornings too. The girls were waking me up some days, and some days I had five whole minutes before I had to wake them up.

Bad. Very bad, for this momma who needs lots of coffee and alone time in the morning.

Since the older kids started going to school three days a week, I've been missing my long early times with God more than anything. It makes me sad to only get a few minutes to read in the morning. :(

I really want to change that {Lord-willing}, so I'm challenging myself to get up before 5:55 every day for a week. :)

Just one week. That's doable, right? :)

I really want to make it a habit for good, but I also want my night-owl hubby to be happy with my schedule too, so I'm just trying it for a week again to see if he's okay with it. :)

I've been too scared to try it before, but the time has now come. :) The benefits of rising early far outweigh the negatives these days.

Wanna do it with me? Just for a week?  We'll check in here next Friday and see how we did! ;)

I'm so excited! I'm going to bed early tonight! :D

Eventually, maybe I'll be able to call myself a #hellomornings girl! :) wohoo!!

Let me know if you're joining me in the comments! {we can do it together!!} You can pick what time works for you and your family of course. I just liked 5:55. :D {and it sounded much better than 4:44!}

22 comments:

Aubsmama said...

I have been convicted of this same thing recently!! I will join you! Challenge accepted!

Aubsmama said...

I have recently been convicted of this same thing! Challenge accepted!!

Mandy said...

Wohoo! Yay!

Rachel said...

I have been wanting to do this but it iust keeps getting postponed :( i guess now is a good time to start :). Yes, will do the challenge with you ...( extra grace needed pls, Lord ) thanks!

3abejas said...

It's my goal to get up at 5, but this week it has been 5:30 or later. So I'll take your challenge: I will be out of bed by 5:15!! (But weekends don't count!)

Amanda@EmbracingGrace said...

I'm with ya! I'll even write a blog post about it on my blog on Monday www.embracinggrace.org and link back to yours :)... It's actually something I've been planning to write about for the last couple of weeks! How cool!

Kat @ Inspired To Action said...

You just go ahead and call yourself a #HelloMornings girl! We'd love to have you join us. Praying your intentional mornings breath life into your heart and your days...

DeCole Bee Cody said...

I like it! 10 minutes earlier than my 6:05 alarm! See you next week!

mandyBH said...

Wohoo! :D So excited you're in! :D

mandyBH said...

Aww, thank you friend! :D I'm so excited! I've wanted to do this all year, and I'm feeling very ready! :D thank you so much for your prayers!!

mandyBH said...

wohooo!! I'm so excited!! thank you for sharing it! I can't wait to do this with you! :D

Victoria Blair said...

One week of getting up early? My definition of early may be different than yours (I'm going to try for 7:30-two hours before I start work) but I'm with ya! One week of bed by 11 and up at 7:30. That's my plan.

Houtz House Party said...

I'm in girl! I have been trying to do this off and on since i had kids and i do so well for awhile and then get lazy! I have no idea why though! My days go SO much better!!

Kellie said...

Yes! Count me in! This has been on my heart for a while, now's the perfect time to start. I am shooting for 6! Thanks for the encouragement!

Lisa said...

Ok, I am in. I really need to be up early. Time with the Lord, a workout, and just a few moments of silence before my kids get up. I need a kick in the pants!

mandyBH said...

Claire- I'm not sure I would get up earlier if I were you. :) Having babies means you need lots of sleep! :D no worries if this isn't the season for you- life was much different when I had teeny ones, and getting up early wasn't on the radar! Sounds to me like you're doing a great job already! :D

Claire Mummert said...

I'll be honest - with my 6 month old, I already go to bed between 9:30 and 10, then she wakes me up at 5:30 or 6am. I'm not sure I can get up any earlier! I will try!

Dawn D'Errico said...

I just saw this today {Sunday} and I have been feeling like I need to do this for a while! I do have an almost-three month old boy along with a 2 1/2 year old girl but I am really fortunate that they are both great sleepers! My baby boy sleeps all through the night like a champ, so I don't really have an excuse! It feels terrible to have my daughter wake me up and almost drag me out of bed, and almost every morning I put a movie or show on for her and give her breakfast on the couch, just so that I can wake up and have my coffee and some "alone time". I feel grumpy and I'm impatient and short with her most mornings because I'm just not awake. I'm going to shoot for getting up by 6:30. (it's so hard for me to get up when it's still dark though!!) thanks for this encouraging challenge:)

Demetria said...

That's quite a challenge, and so timely for me to read this- as getting up early has been something I feel that the Lord has laid on my heart. I definitely crave that first-time, early-in-the-morning time with the Lord before anyone else gets a piece of me. I am going to probably try this beginning Tuesday. I'll have to really set my heart on it, but I know I can do it. I think I'll shoot for 6:30 a.m. Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration.

Chris said...

I already wake up between 5 and 5:15 but I can try to wake up 5 minutes earlier to have better quiet time in the mornings. Efficient mornings are way easier now that I kicked snoozing to the curb. Set one alarm, turn off the snooze function, and tell yourself when you go to bed the first alarm noise you hear you will hop out of bed to meet the Lord. Sounds crazy, I know - but it feels good not to procrastinate.

Amber MacNeil said...

Ok... well, it's 1:15am right now (LOL), but I promise to start going to bed earlier Sunday night and get up early on Monday!! :-) We'll see how that works, because my hubby gets up at 6:00am, too. I'd just like a shower and to get dressed and hair and makeup done before my 14-month-old gets up. He's slow to really wake up, so I can do my devotional time as he plays with his toys.

cal+claire said...

Hey Mandy, just wanted to check back with you here. My, now 1 year old (can you believe 6 months has past since I last posted on here?), and I can honestly say that though it is hard to wake up before her still, it is so worth it. To get even some time for prayer before I start a day that will definitely require patience is so so necessary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...