husband's birthday= favorite recipes of all time + a gift dilemma

Today is my sweet husband's 33rd birthday! :D I am so blessed to see another year with this man.

the man himself on his first day of being 33....it looks good on him! :)
I realized recently that God completely, tangibly blessed me by giving him to me as my husband. God knows me so well, that He gave me a man that would show me the exact kind of love I need on a daily basis. It's incredible. Seriously. 

Thank you, God for my husband! I am so grateful to live life with such an honorable, kind, strong, and loving man.

It's going to be fun to do things for him today- he does SO much for me all the time! I'm excited to have a few plans up my sleeve for his birthday too. :D

We have a little birthday tradition around here- the birthday person gets to pick whatever they want to eat for dinner. Homemade, out at a restaurant- anything goes!

Knowing that, Rob requested two of his very favorite things I make: lasagna, and cinnamon rolls. :D

I'm excited to make those- it's been forever since I've made either one. The last time I made cinnamon rolls was for Noah's birthday. I think it's hilarious that they would rather have cinnamon rolls than birthday cake! :D

So the plan for today is to shop and make those earlier in the day, head out to teach my class later in the day {good thing considering I'm going to be enjoying lots of cream cheese icing... ;), and then I'll just cook everything that's been prepped already in the evening.

I have a gift that I bought for him several weeks ago, and then last week he told me he hated the thing I bought him. Ahem.

Does that sort of thing happen to you too? ha! I'm not sure if I'll take it back or not, or just go ahead and give it to him and then see if he changes his mind. Goodness. You'd think I'd know the man better than that after being together for almost 13 years. At least it was something he's never had before! ;)

So the other thing I know for sure he likes is movies. Sometime this week we are definitely heading out to see a manly movie. Any suggestions on good, clean, manly movies that are out right now? :)

Movies, desserts, lasagna! There's more birthday calories goodness to come for our little family!

Oh, and if you're interested in some caloric goodness for yourself, here are the very best recipes on the planet for lasagna and cinnamon rolls. They are what I'll basically use tonight. I've adapted them for our tastes {turkey in lasagna, and a slightly different tripled icing recipe}, but they are fantastic without modifications!

So tell me, what should I do? Take back the hated present today or try to find another one? Or just give it to him and then let him return it and pick out something else? I'm just not sure! What would you do?



18 comments

agoconnor said...

If it were me, I would give it to him, laugh over the situation and then let him choose. :-) Lasagna and cinnamon rolls is my kinda meal too. I love to bake them AND eat them! Happy birthday to your hubby and a great day to you as well!

Crystal said...

I'd wrap it up all pretty and talk it up real big. Then try to capture his face when he sees what it is, see if he laughs or tries to pretend to like it or what. Then laugh, explain the situation, and give him the receipt. ;) Happy birthday to your man, mine turned 33 this year and I turned 30.

Trisha Goddard said...

LOL! :) Well, I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, as I never buy b-day presents for my husband. Married 11 years and we don't get each other gifts for birthdays or Christmas. For us, it is more about being together, and if we need something, we will talk about it!

Idea: take back what you got him and make a coupon book from wife-hubby. :P I'm sure you will come up with some good ideas to stick in there and cover your bed sheets with heart/lips confetti!

mandyBH said...

Oh, Trisha, that's too fun!! That's a great idea!! I'm thinking he would definitely like that! ;) I might see if I can find a template on the internet!

Me again! said...

Oh, his main passion is Jesus - that sounded bad and I just wanted to fix his reputation, ha.

Menekse Stewart said...

My husband loves things from his Amazon wishlist (mainly books and DVDs) as his passions are film, reading and comedy (watching and reading). But I feel really boring buying him things from it every Christmas/birthday, so we tend to get little things from it through the year and then this year I have some awesome ideas up my sleeve! We've only been married 18 months/together 26 months though so we haven't had that many Christmases or birthdays together yet :)

Shelly McCormick said...

The only clean movie that is out right now, according to Plugged In Movie Reviews is the one with Kevin James in it, "Here comes the Boom"?? I think that's what it's called. Also, I saw on another blog, the wife gave her husband a year of dates. Each month he got to open up an envelope that contained everything needed for that date, coupons, tickets, etc.

Nancy Lundy said...

Funny! I'd return it and print off an Amazon GC. Maybe stick the return receipt in his card so you can share a laugh over it. I have the same problem. My husband knows my likes/dislikes so thoroughly that I'm so easy to buy for. He's a little more challenging - all the electronics he wants are super expensive & I'm so not knowledgeable about them.

Sarah said...

That is the cinnamon roll recipe that I've been using for the last few years, too! I just do a powdered sugar/milk icing, though. Yum!

Stephanie Canaday said...

i agree with trisha basically. you could, after or during, gift giving tell him about your oops lol, i've done it several times, my hubby knows what he wants and he gets technical so unless i have it on a list i'm bound to forget. w/ the coupons include things that would be special like: date night his choice, he chooses dinner, (if he would like it) one night alone, w/o kids and you, a guys night out/in. if you guys are the joking type, my husband is endlessly 'getting in trouble' with me (jokingly of course) so if your similar maybe a get out of trouble free card (or depending on him maybe a few LOL). if you guys have different tastes in music maybe one 'you have musical control' day. or if he ever groans at the site of you watching something possibly a 'you control the remote' gift card. just a few ideas i had, but don't forget to put the small writing on them LOL if you can get it small enough it can be quite funny just its presence (make sure to have a magnifying glass around though). things like: must be redeemed by the givee to the giver by _______, no restrictions apply, all cards may be redeemed at any time, with the exception of ______ due to prior planning necessary. idk just make it fun :) hope he has a great birthday!

Jen said...

My Christian radio station is promoting the movie "Chasing Mavericks." From what I gather it's a manly movie about surfing and rated PG so family friendly too. Happy Birthday, Rob!

Dominique Lynn Burleson said...

My hubby plays guitar and writes worship songs, so I like to purchase him nice notebooks to put his music in. This year, I bought him a new study Bible, the book Fearless by Max Lucado and a really nice cardigan from Express Men. He likes to shop (Yes! Really!) and eat, so we usually spend then day going and look at stores we can't afford, and then go out to dinner. it's quite fun because we used to do it all the time while dating, and now that we have kiddos-it only happens about twice a year!

mandyBH said...

that's the one we ended up getting!! thanks for the suggestion! :D

Rebekah said...

The Avengers was pretty clean and a great guy movie.

Daniella Murphy said...

Chasing Mavericks. I have several friends that worked on it ;)

Rebecca said...

This is unrelated to the discussion here, but I have a cinnamon roll question. Do you have to have a bread machine? Anyone recommend a good brand of bread machine? Thanks!

mandyBH said...

I do have a bread machine, but I don't use it for cinnamon rolls since I double my batch. :D I have a Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker I scored at GW for $10 last year, and I love it. It's been a great machine! Here's the post I did on it: http://biblicalhomemaking.blogspot.com/2011/10/day-6-saving-some-dough-31-days-of.html

Erica said...

So this is my favorite lasagna recipe but I use SOY MEAT crumbles instead of the beef (and I cut out the celery)... But I've made it for my meat loving boyfriend and he's a huge (HUGE) fan

http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-white-lasagna-50844