thrifty thursday GW find: a cast iron dutch oven

{I’m blogging from Allume today- I’m thrilled to be here {and safely, no less!}, and so far it’s been so much fun. I left at 4:45 this morning and made it to Harrisburg, PA, at 12:50, so it’s already been quite a day! ;) I can’t wait to share all the details and introduce you to my roomies!}.

So it’s no secret that I love GW {Goodwill}. I also love kitchen tools of all kinds, and when the two collide, it’s always a happy, happy day. :D And, indeed, it was a very happy day when I found this gloriously blue Dutch oven at Goodwill, brand new in the box:

This is crazy, but I never thought I would be so happy with a pot! ;) When I made lasagna for my husband’s birthday dinner this week I sautéed onions in it, added the turkey to brown, and then added the sauce and simmered it for a few hours. We had leftover lasagna noodles and sauce, so I added the leftover noodles and cheese to the pan, and baked it like a casserole in the oven! It was so easy!

And if I’m studying my Dutch ovens correctly, a Le Creuset Dutch oven runs around $145 on Amazon, while the off-brand runs between $40-$60.

I scored mine new in the box at Goodwill for $9.99! :D I don’t remember what brand it is, but it works like a charm, and I saved at least $30!

I’m excited about it! Cast iron Dutch ovens are new to me- I’ve never had one before. Do you have any recipes you like to cook in them? What else are they good for? {I’m thinking I might want to use it often!} Do tell! :D

5 comments

Jen said...

That is an awesome deal. I love GW too but our local ones are getting very expensive. I can buy new at walmart much of the time for nearly the same as they ask for their stuff. We live out in the country too not in a big city. :(

Kristin said...

I LOVE my cast iron Dutch oven. My favorite things to cook in it are tomato dishes like spaghetti sauce or chili or taco soup because the iron in the pot aids in the absorption of Vitamin C in the body.

amorganporter said...

I love my dutch oven as well! We registered for one and were lucky enough to get it as a wedding gift! I use mine for EVERYTHING!! Its great for cooking chicken breasts, for soups, sauteing, I use it for boiling pasta or making rice, then with the pasta I can just throw the sauce and other things in with the noodles! The pot is so large that you don't have to worry about the water boiling over! Plus they are so pretty for serving! In fact they are so pretty that I leave mine out on the stove all the time! (mine is green). Last night I even made jam in it! It was great because the fruit and sugar bubble up but never over. I am hoping to invest in a smaller one at Christmastime so that I can use it for smaller projects too! Enjoy it! - Alexandra www.simplyalexandramyfavoritethings.blogspot.com

Nessa Bixler said...

Everything!! I love browning meat and then baking... same with root veggies. Yummy! Put it on highish and get some color and bake. The hold heat for a long time - so just watch. Even after you turn down the flame - the pot stays hot. Very nice to keep things warm.


Soups and crock pot recipes translate well. Beans, quinoa, rice... all cook so well because of the nice even heating.

Shannon said...

I scored one recently at a yard sale for $10 and it was Lodge brand in the "L" Series.... The lowest price I have found it is around $80 and up. Yours might be worth even more than you realize. Funny thing is I have only cooked in my once because it is such precious gold to me. I must change that. ;) These pots will outlast anything either of us ever own I bet. Woo hoooo for great bargains and BLESSINGS!!!