thrifty find: graco baby gear

When I mentioned my bread maker yesterday, I realized it had been a few weeks since I shared one of my favorite thrifty finds with you. :) I love thrifting, but I haven't been able to go all the time in the past few months like I used to. 

Something about being pregnant makes your house become like a magnet for you- you don't ever want to leave, and then once you have to, you want to go right back home and you don't even know why. :) I used to be such a go, go, go person, but I don't mind staying home at all anymore- I kind of love it now. :)

Besides meals and painting lists, I haven't been planning ahead much either, but right after we found out we were having a boy, I started mentally making a list of all the things we would need for this little one. :D I can't believe that it will be 8 years in May since we've had a newborn boy in the house. {I tell my boys to stop growing up already, but they just won't listen!}. :)

Even though it's been several years, I've saved almost everything baby-related {I just recently started giving big kid clothes away because we have way too many}, so we really don't need much as far as I can tell. 

The one big thing we did "need" was a gender-neutral carseat. I absolutely love our last one- it is a lovely purple-gray Laura Ashley Graco carseat in this pattern:


I bought it used for $60 a few years ago, and we still have it in the attic because I just can't seem to part with it. It could work if we needed it to, of course, but the purple flowers seemed a bit girly for this little guy. I had been researching patterns online and came across this Rittenhouse pattern that could work for either a boy or a girl:


I really liked it, but the car seat with one base was $159 new. Ouch! Is it me, or does that seem like how much the car seat and stroller together used to cost??

I really wasn't sure I could ever part with that much cash for just a car seat. Even if I resold it, it would be for a big loss.

I figured I had months to try to find one for a good deal, but the week before we did our ultrasound, I found one with two bases used for a fraction of the price! Crazy how that works. :)

The day after we found out it was a boy, I emailed and met the girl who had it. It was one owner, in great condition, never had been in an accident, still under the manufacturer's expiration date by years, and even had the instructions with it! {AAP guidelines for buying used car seats here}.

The used car seat price? 



$45. 

I saved over $100 and got the carseat I wanted, just by letting someone else use it for a few months. :)

Gotta love buying secondhand! :D


What thrifty deals have you scored lately? I'd love to hear!

Do you love staying home like I do these days? It's something magnetic and irresistible, isn't it??

Have you ever bought baby items used? 

I jumped on the used bandwagon after the first baby. Everything was brand new for him {and we were so blessed to be given almost all of it!}. Later, when we had to buy something ourselves, we tried to find it used. That and we were broke, so new wasn't an option. LOL! We did buy a brand new purple Bumbo once when they first came out.

Do you have a favorite color or pattern you find yourself liking on everything, even baby stuff?

With my first baby I bought all Noah's Ark stuff, but with the last few I tend to buy what I like to look at the most- pretty diaper bags, cute non-baby fabrics, etc. Hey, the baby doesn't care anyway, right? :) Right now I'm loving the damask and chevron prints, and lots of funky bright florals. I'm trying to keep it gender neutral, but just I'm in love with big flowers, you know?

28 comments

Jen said...

Good job! I'd say you probably saved closer to $200, if you factor in the cost of the second base!

Ashley said...

That's a great deal! We're going to be trying for baby #3 this year and we're going used all the way. I just can't believe some of the prices for baby gear! We're not going to even do the full-blown nursery like we did for our other kids, we're just buying basics and keeping it simple. :)

Mandy said...

oh, true! I never thought of that!! Thank you! :D

Mandy said...

So excited for you! :D I know what you mean about the costs! It's incredible! I'm debating what to do with the nursery stuff- we have a room, but I'm thinking a special blanket might be as far as I go this time. I can't decide if I want to paint the dresser or hang curtains this time around. Maybe if I get some energy! LOL! And my #2 and #4 didn't have a nursery or a room at all and they don't remember a thing ! :P

Stacey said...

Not to be offensive, but a car seat is the last thing I would buy used. People lie all the time about things, including car accidents. Also, in Canada, where I live, regulations for car seats were changed about a year ago, and so it is currently not recommended to ever buy a used car seat. I have bought a ton of other stuff used though. strollers, our Chariot bike trailer, clothes, bath tub, cloth diapers, etc. I'm pretty particular about car seats though :). My sister also happens to be a car seat tech, so I am borrowing a seat from her.

Anonymous said...

We did one better...we borrow or we're given. We had 2 people give us their new after one use car seats & my lil sis who just had her first (number 5 is due any second for us) let us borrow hers. I actually passed one of the given ones onto another friend & will probably use the other as a backup in our farm truck. I haven't had to buy anything yet for this one and I am so thankful!

AmberRay said...

I wanted to find a Jumperoo for our baby this time. We found a very nice Fisher price travel swing/bouncer zoo print for $20 at Goodwill a while back.Yesterday my husband found the matching Jumperoo brand new in box at Goodwill for $46 dollars. It costs over $90 at Walmart. I Praise God for the great deals we find. Many times we have talked about finding something and not very long after we will find it at Goodwill.

Anonymous said...

Favorite thrifty find lately - 10 perfect one size serving tupperware containers (older style, like 70's, complete in burnt orange color) for $3, for baby food. I think the only baby item we've bought new was a crib mattress, because our oldest is still using hers in the toddler bed. I bought a used carseat that I love. I didn't use all the baby gear this time around either - we have a small house, so I picked my favorites, (baby swing, bouncy seat, jolly jumper) and gave the other things we were lent back. Now the bouncy seat is back in storage, and the baby swing will soon be on it's way to a new baby to be used.

Anonymous said...

Just a suggestion, eBay is great too! We had our 3rd (VERY unexpected) baby a year ago, and had no money to buy new. However, I found a brand new Graco pack n play that retailed for $250 for $75! With shipping it came to just a little over $90, but it was such a blessing, and exactly what we needed, and still in the original packaging!

Emily said...

If you have a carseat that's already in good condition and not expired, you could always order new covers for it. I always liked to have a second cover anyway - just in case! One in the wash and one on the carseat :)

sunflowerwife said...

We don't have children but I love entertaining, and cooking for my church. We moved to Texas a few years ago, and I began loving southern food, and there's nothing like buttermilk cornbread made in a cast-iron skillet but they can be so expensive.We went to an estate sale right before Christmas and I found a set of 3 great seasoned cast iron skillets for 20 dollars!They are in great shape, I've barely touched my non-stick pan since!

mwimp said...

we didnt have anything for our fostering babies as i lent all my stuff out after my bio son and they never returned it. so i've been slowly collecting used, either thrift stores, our local online yard sales, and friends. i've yet to buy a crib (I did but it was crap, hubby picked up and didnt really look it over the lady had one whole side ZIP-TIED to the frame!!) so i decided then and there that would be the thing i would buy new, a crib and mattress. we're about a week out from certification and our local walmart keeps 5 style in stock and is open 24/7, we've saved the money so it's just a matter of getting a call for a child that needs a crib.

Rebekah @ Living && Learning said...

I am a huge believer in 2nd hand baby items! Assuming we can find a safe second hand car seat, everything for our first child will be purchased second hand with the exception of bottles/nipples & diapers. We're also asking all of our wonderful friends & family who are blessing us with gifts to please support local resale shops rather than buying new.

Amber Backes said...

Way to go girl. I was so into saving money and buying used. I ended buying a consignment sale business. It's my Proverbs 31 business. One word of wisdom about buying used carseats - we do not allow anything older than 5 years. Keeping with the most current safety devices and such. There's a list to all the current recalls on our website if anyone need to look them up. We would love to have you come visit us in April. It's a hike down to the mid-cities but so worth it.

Liz Downes said...

I don't know that I've purchased any baby gear new. I bought a jumperoo off Craigslist for $40 and sold it 7 months later for $35. I probably could have sold it for the same amount but just wanted it out of the house since it took up so much space. My biggest score just happened today though. I found a Baby Bjorn bouncer in good condition for $3! Yes $3.00. I know they retail for something around $150 so I'm pretty excited about that.

Mandy said...

No, I totally understand where you're coming from! That's interesting about the new regulations too! Glad you can borrow one though!! :D

Mandy said...

It's so cool you and Stacey {above commenter} can borrow one from someone! That's a great idea and way better than paying for one!

Mandy said...

wohoooo!! It's so exciting to find such a deal!! God is so GOOD and always provides what we need, doesn't He? :D

Mandy said...

Oh Tupperware is the best!! I hardly ever see it at GW these days- they never get donated around here, lol! I kind of wish they still had parties- I might have to buy some! LOL! That stuff lasts forever!

Mandy said...

Oh, great idea!! That's a wonderful way to buy new too and save a ton! whoop! Good job!!! :DD

Mandy said...

Oh, true!! And covers are probably even easier to find than they were a few years ago! I like it!

Mandy said...

YAY for Texas!! I'm a Texas fan for sure! :D And that is a steal!! I haven't seen a cast iron pan in good shape in forever!! way to go!!! {now I want some cornbread!! LOL!} What recipe do you use? I'm a Jiffy girl myself.... :D

Mandy said...

oh no about the crib!! oh my goodness!! that's awful! :( Yes, that is a good one to buy new! Congrats on getting certified! that is so exciting for y'all!!! :D

Mandy said...

Oh that's a great idea too!! buying local is such a good thing! {and now I'm thinking about bottles- we don't have any of those! thanks for the reminder!} :D

Anonymous said...

In Australia Jumperoo's are in excess of $200 new, so if you find a used one for $90 thats considered reasonable lol

AmberRay said...

Yes he does :) Amen!

JoyBelle said...

I love thrift! My changing table is an old wooden one (not sure how old) but it's in great condition and has lasted through four babies in our family thus far. I think I paid $20-25.

I don't really have a lot to buy this pregnancy. Not finding out the gender, though the sonogram tech did send my sister a letter with the gender so she can get us gender specific clothes (I got rid of all the newborn clothes, doh) and we'll have them on hand. I bought a new changing pad and a co-sleeper; that's it. I *definitely* need more cloth diapers if baby is a boy since my 17-month-old son uses all the boy ones we have. But our girl ones are sitting unused, boxed up.

I have been a homebody. I just want to gestate peacefully. I find that I turn more inward when pregnant and that is probably a protective and instinctual thing. I don't mean spiritually inward. I just mean that avoiding certain people, places, things, etc. means less stress in many instances - stresses that may be harder to endure or face when pregnant.

JoyBelle said...

Walmart has nice ones, with great reviews, for $150 (sometimes a little less during sales)! Of course that is just the crib, no mattress. I forgot to mention that I've bought gently used crib sheets, changing pad covers, etc. at consignment. I've seen them at thrift stores as well.