with unveiled faces we see the Glory




Her face wasn't shining likes Moses' did, but it might as well have been.

Looking at her, you knew you were seeing the indwelling grace of the Holy Spirit Himself. When she spoke, you knew you were listening to the words our Lord wanted you to hear.

Never has a mama been able to speak with such strength and purpose to hundreds of people as my sister-in-law Christy did yesterday. At her own son's funeral.

Every eye was on her and every ear heard what she said.

Live for Jesus. Stop living for yourself. 

Trust in Jesus. He is a personal God. He is real and you can have a relationship with Him. 

This life is short, and your days are numbered by a Holy God. You only have this life, and God alone knows when your days will end. 

You cannot live with one foot in the world and one foot in the Word.

Don't wait to know Jesus.

She had a healthy teenage son last Tuesday. Five days later, my sister-in-law stood before a packed auditorium and told us that while there was no medical explanation for why her Jacob died, her God knew. His death had come as no surprise to Him- He had known the exact number of days her boy would live from the time he was in her womb.

He gave him to her, and He could take him back, she told us.


As I had walked down the aisle of the crowded church earlier with the rest of the family, never had my heart been more sure that this world was not supposed to be my home.

All eyes were on us as we took our seats at the front of a funeral of a 15-year-old, and my soul was reminded yet again that it wasn't supposed to happen like this. That we were foreigners in a strange land, longing for home- a place with no tears, or death, or sickness.

And what Christy said later confirmed it even more.

This life is a battle. We are in a war for our souls in this place, and we don't know when our time will come.

We can't afford to be casual about it.

This is real. 

Seeing this sweet woman walk through the flames and give glory to God, leaves me even more convinced that Christ alone is worthy to serve in this life.

The world could never explain what we all saw yesterday. I can't imagine seeing any unbelieving mother stand and praise God at the funeral of her son.

Oh, how He gives power to the faint, and to them who have no might, He increases strength! He is so very near to the brokenhearted. He is a mighty fortress for those who believe in Him, and He gives rest and hope for the weary and burdened.

I've seen those Scriptures lived out this week.

Her God- your God- my God- is more than WORTHY of our praise.

He is more than WORTHY of our lives. He doesn't need us, but He loved us so much that He wanted us. He rescued us. He redeemed us. Because He is good.

He is merciful and full of GLORY.

The Hebrews of the Old Testament saw the Shekinah glory of God in glimpses- in pillars of smoke, fire, thunder, in tabernacles, and on the fading glow of Moses' face.

The disciples of Jesus got to see the glory of God in flesh. Walking among them. Touching their souls and their bodies with healing.

Because of the covenant God made with Israel, and because of Jesus coming and dying in the flesh, today we get to see the glory of God shining through each other because of the Holy Spirit dwelling in us Himself.

With unveiled faces, we get to see the glory of God walking among us.

When it shines so brightly, we can't help but take notice. We can't help but praise God.

That's what happened yesterday.

Beautiful hope- the very Glory of God Himself in our midst.

Proof that He does not abandon us. He does not forsake us.

Our God is worthy, friends.

He is worthy of your whole life. Don't be complacent. You cannot afford to.

Do you love Him? Serve Him with whole-hearted abandon. Hold nothing back.

You have nothing without Him. Every breath you take is only because of the mercy of God.

Get rid of the distractions- go away and fall with your face to the floor, and give your heart to Him.

Stop living with one foot in the world.

You can't have one eye set on the things of the world, and one on God.

It is NOT possible.

Which god will you serve? When your world suddenly comes crashing in like my sister's, what will money or stuff or success do for you?

You know the answer.

Seek Him. Don't delay a minute longer. He is GOOD, and He loves you.

You don't know when your hour will come, sweet friend. Please don't wait to serve Him.


free chevron pattern found here


23 comments

girlmeetspaper said...

Mandy, oh, what a fiery trial! I can't imagine traveling such a heartbreaking journey, but can only pray that I'd be able to give the glory to our God, who sees all and knows all. What a testimony your sister-in-law is living out!

Lynda said...

I know how your painful this is for your family. Three years ago we lost our 28 year old son to a massive stroke. The night before it happened he had watched a Notre Dame football game with his Dad and I. He had kissed me good bye and told me that he loved me and gave me a big hug. Less than 24 hours later we were praying for a miracle to save him. The miracle we got is not the one we asked for but the one that Heavenly Father knew Sean needed. It was time for him to go home to Heavenly Father. Sean was a solider, son, brother, uncle, grandson. Tours in Iraq left him with a broken spirit wondering how Heavenly Father could forgive him and love him. Now as begins a new life with Heavenly Father all those questions are answered and his spirit is at peace. I know without a doubt that he is at peace and happy now. I also know that I will be with him again someday. Heavenly Father loved me through the dark days that came after came after. He held me in his loving arms when I cried and wondered why. I am so grateful for my faith as it has sustained me through that time. I pray that your sister-in-law with be sustained by her faith.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this...weeping...and praying for your family. <3 dsh

Amanda B said...

Oh how my heart breaks for your family, but rejoices that truth was so clearly spoken and felt in such a trying time. Praying that the Lord's nearness is continually felt throughout the coming days and that the truth of the Gospel goes forth through the testimony of your sister-in-law and the rest of your family.

Danielle Winton said...

Wow! Thank you for posting this! I find myself crying for a family I don't know, but the message is relevant for all of us. Thank you!

Nedra Rodriguez said...

This was a WOW article. So very inspiring, thanks for posting.

Jenna said...

Beautifully written. So much truth. Your passion for the LORD just shines through your writing. His Word will not return void. May MANY more enter into His kingdom because of your nephew's testimony and his courageous Mama's words at the funeral. Thank you.

Mandy said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, Lynda. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. I can't imagine. :( I'm so glad to hear the Lord sustained you and have you strength! Praise God!!! Thank you for praying! I know that your prayers work!

Mandy said...

Oh Jane, I feel the same way! I pray that I will be able to do the same. It's so hard to imagine. I've been so blessed by seeing her walk out her faith.

Mandy said...

Thank you for your prayers, sweet girl! Oh, that the truth would go out and set this world on fire! I know He can do it!

{darlene} @ fieldstonehill said...

this post is amazing mandy. written with power from above.

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

What a wonderful testimony at a time where it would be so easy to be angry with God. Truly, you and your sister are both inspirations ... And I thank God that He has given you the strength, peace & hope to know that this is His Timing! Yur nephew must have been so special that God wanted him with Himself. He couldn't wait a moment longer. May God continue to bless you all and be your constant help! Hugs & prayers xxx

Jen Graber said...

What an amazing testimony of the "peace that passes understanding." Thank you for reminding us to focus on what really matters. Praying for your family.

graciegirl said...

Oh what a wonderful testimony this is! I know He carries us through all our trials and tribulations....I recently had a miscarriage and completely and utterly felt the Lord's hand carrying us through. Praying for you and your loved ones.

Malachi 3:16 said...

Mandy - blown away! Christ in us, the hope of glory in full demonstration! I want this in my life right now! We rejoice that your nephew is in His presence, where there is fullness of joy and at His right hand pleasures forevermore ... precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints... Love and grace and prayers for more of Jesus for yours and your sister-in-law's family. Agape.

mommy of Five said...

My heart breaks for you , but may God continue to give you strength and shine through this situation. 9 years ago, my 15 year old nephew was playing around and hung himself while his mom went to pick up her daughter from bible quiz! They got home and he was already in the arms of Jesus. there is just no words to say. but keep trusting in God the hope of glory.

Kenzie @ Life of Swan said...

Wow. Thank you, and your family, for being so open about your experience here. None of us can know the exact numbers, but I am certain that there will be many people who read this and come away thinking, "I want that kind of confidence, hope, faith, etc. in my life." I know I myself feel that way. Thank you. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

I am so sorry ... but also encouraged by your words. Prayers for your whole family.

Renette Lambrechts said...

Found your blog via a lady in my church. What a powerful post, it touched me and I'm praying for comfort and peace for your family.

Catriona MacLean said...

My dear sister in Christ, how important it is for us to share with each other ALL that we go through with Christ. He is the Alpha and the Omega, only with Him will we survive in this troubled world. Your words and your sisters build up others to face life and all it throws at us. To shine for Christ and be a beacon to a fallen world who so badly need to know Him. May God bless you and the message you have shared, I pray that it will touch hearts and minds and open them to the Word , to lead them to salvation through our Lord and Saviour Christ Jesus.

Amanda said...

My first comment disappears with trying to load :/ ill try again!

I found this link on good morning girls and oh, the lessons being learned over here! As a mom who has also had a son pass, these words I can feel down to the very depths of my soul. Thank you for sharing and praise be to a God who welcomes us home with open arms and love and who fills us with His word and gives us the strength to face the worst of times

Adrienne Reina said...

This spoke to the depths of my heart and soul...This life is a battle. We are in a war for our souls in this place, and we don't know when our time will come.

We can't afford to be casual about it.

Amen.to this.

Blessings,
Adrienne

Aimee Reyes said...

I agree with a previous post - I find myself crying for a family I don't know. But all of us who are parents and mothers - we just can't imagine any pain more than losing a child. I am also strengthened through your sister's faith; and more aware that we really don't know when our time will come. Makes me want to love my children more and have more patience with them. Your sister in law seems like such a good mom - one who taught God first to her son; what a gift to him and to you all.